The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 20, 2017, 11:36 AM   #1
TrueBlue711

Conceal holster suggestions

Looking for suggestions on a quality and comfortable conceal holster. It'll be for the Sig P320 Compact. I'm usually a fan of the Blackhawk Serpa holsters, but open to other ideas.
Old July 20, 2017, 02:21 PM   #2
TJB101

Are you looking for IWB or OWB? Personally I really like alien gear for iwb and bought a few leather OWB holsters from Gould & Goodrich as well as Winthrop. Both were top quality leather holsters
Old July 20, 2017, 02:41 PM   #3
TrueBlue711

Quote:
Are you looking for IWB or OWB?
You know, I'm not sure. This is my first "full sized" conceal gun. Before this, I have a pocket .380 that I just put in my pocket. My other pistols are full sized (too big to easily conceal) and I carry them with normal non-conceal holsters. What are the benefits for IWB and OWB when it comes to concealing? Besides personal preference.
Old July 20, 2017, 05:01 PM   #4
TJB101

I print much worse with OWB. But for my larger guns they are much more comfortable.
Old July 20, 2017, 05:27 PM   #5
Nathan

I think you should be looking for looking for a hybrid holster because they handle the weight well. The rough out leather "sticks" to your side.

I have used Raw Dog Tactical 's IWB Holster and been happy. They make an OWB, but I haven't seen it.
Old July 21, 2017, 10:09 AM   #6
TrueBlue711

Thanks Nathan, I'm looking at the Raw Dog website and I like what I see. I'll probably give them a try.
Old July 21, 2017, 02:28 PM   #7
Jimbo-Indy

Suggestion from a satisfied customer: look into MTR Custom Leather. They make OWB, IWB and convertible models in quality leather. I have their IWB for my CZ97B (no small gun) and it seems to disappear. Also have their convertible model for my Kahr CT40. I find the MTR holsters take up less waistband space and are more comfortable then the kydex/leather hybred styles. They also do western stuff, shoulder rigs and custom designs.
Old July 21, 2017, 02:50 PM   #8
TXAZ

I have a similar sized Sig229 and 3 different holsters. But the 5.11 undershirt holster is the best for me. (Assuming it's not 100F outside)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 22, 2017, 08:44 PM   #9
Kevin Rohrer

Suggest you check the appropriate topics on 1911Forum. They have 100s of photos.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old July 22, 2017, 08:46 PM   #10
Nathan

If you want a certain angle pic, I have a couple Raw Dog Holsters G23 and Shield versions.
Old July 22, 2017, 11:27 PM   #11
Water-Man

I carry my P320 Compact in this:
http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/OWB.html
Old July 22, 2017, 11:56 PM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

My favorite concealed holster = Crossbreed Supertuck.
Old July 23, 2017, 11:18 PM   #13
chaim

I am a fan of a good hybrid holster for a polymer gun (for some reason, I want all leather with something like a 1911 or revolver, other metal autos, it depends on how utilitarian v. old fashioned it feels). The dual clips most have are good for supporting a larger gun and also minimize the thickness (though for easy on/off I prefer a single clip hybrid for a smaller gun). The hybrid is the best of both worlds. I like the leather against my skin over kydex for comfort (not an issue if you prefer OWB), but the kydex shell is good for retention, it protects the finish, it is more weather/sweat resistant, and it is less expensive (generally) than all leather. There are so many makers of good hybrids that it is hard to give a recommendation (especially since no one has tried them all). I have one from Theis for my P290, one from Foxx (with only one clip) for my P250 Compact, and one from Black Arch (formerly SHTF Gear) for my CZ P01, and I think the Black Arch and the Theis (in that order) are by far the best of the three.
Old August 7, 2017, 12:17 AM   #14
flyboy015

I'd have to fully recommend Black Arch Holsters, you can find them on Amazon, around $50 IIRC for a hybrid IWB for my Walther PPS. Super comfy, warranty comes with it; I imagine all hybrid holsters are pretty much the same these days.

If you do find yourself on Amazon, I'd also recommend their bellyband holster, it's just an elastic and Velcro band with a sewn holster (read: gun pocket) but it comes in handy in colder weather; I put it on over a tee shirt but beneath a flannel, with the top two or three buttons undone so I can easily reach inside. They say it's best to accommodate your clothing to CC, not the other way around. Those two options work for me year-round.
Old August 13, 2017, 11:34 PM   #15
kevra1983

I'd strongly recommend Tulster holsters. It'll be hard to find any LGS dealer with them. But hands down, they make a nicely designed holster with different color options too. I have it for my Glock 19, and can't complain what so ever.
Old August 14, 2017, 12:09 AM   #16
JoeSixpack

If you like Serpa holsters It looks like Blackhawk makes a Serpa for the p320

I like serpa style holsters also but Blackhawk does not make fits for a lot of the guns im interested in.

I carry a Taurus 99 (think Beretta 92 but with adjustable sights)
In a Itac holster, it's setup like a serpa.

It's comfortable, and seems sturdy but not the best for concealment.

IWB is better at concealment, You'll need to have big enough pants to fit it in between you and the waistband, I tried this once but did not like it so I stick with OWB.

Personally I prefer plastic holsters, they draw and holster so smoothly with a satisfying click, nearly zero maintenance too, I've got a few leather holsters but I never use them anymore

The only thing I will say about plastic holsters, they'll scratch the hell out of your gun.. but it's usually in just a few spots.. I mostly ignore this.. I mean if you're carrying the gun just forget about keeping it pretty.

Leather holster tend to wear all over but the wear is softer like a rub rather then a scratch.
Old August 14, 2017, 07:43 AM   #17
Excoastie

Check out the Telor Tactical Comfort Air IWB holster. I have found this to be the most comfortable IWB for my Shield. There are times that I forget that it's even there. I've actually gone to work only to realize that I still had it on.

I have also used a leather IWB from Safariland that works pretty well. It's a little easier to "gun up" but it's also not quite as comfortable.

good luck

Exco
Old August 16, 2017, 06:58 PM   #18
mulespurs

Another vote

My vote is for a Crossbreed Super tuck Deluxe.
My choice is also horsehide.
Old August 17, 2017, 07:29 AM   #19
OhioGuy

Vedder LightTuck

I've had two of these from Vedder Holsters. It's very concealable and has a very strong single steel clip. It's minimalistic and flexible. I carry appendix, but it also works well just about anywhere. The clip is strong enough that a second clip really isn't necessary.

It's also tuckable. They also turn around orders in less than a week (mine, anyway).

I even got one of their t-shirts
Old August 17, 2017, 10:33 PM   #20
std7mag

I usually carry OWB. Haven't found an IWB that gets along with my fat rolls or my hip.

I have a slide holster ( simular to a Yanqai) that works well with my 4" barrel 1911. Keeps it close to the body. Light jacket covers pretty well.

For my PPS i have a Blackhawk. This one is nylon and has a strap over the top with a snap. Not the Serpa. This also holds pretty close to the body.