The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 25, 2011, 08:16 PM   #26
SatCong

RW,

One more buzzkill, you are describing a possible manifestation of onset type II diabetes. That was one of my symptoms. I found out early enough that meds corrected most of the problem.

Mike
Old March 25, 2011, 08:28 PM   #27
nc eyedoc

Roadwarrior,

How old are you? Near problems usually start between 35-45 years of age. They happen on the earlier side if you are hyperopic (farsighted).
Old March 25, 2011, 09:28 PM   #28
MSgtUSMC

At age 70 the bullseye became blurred at 100 yards through the peep on my M1 Garrand. Had cataracts taken off and artificial lenses put on and bingo, clear bullseye. At age 73 blurred again. Doctor said film had grown over the artificial lense in right eye. Took him two minutes to laser it off. Again, the bullseye cleared. I am now 76 and it's still clear. Have your doctor check for cataracts.
Old March 25, 2011, 11:22 PM   #29
Nnobby45

There are different remedies for the target shooter, but for those of us who CCW we're stuck with what we have when going about our daily business.

Many of us shoot the fuzzy sights and it works reasonably well. The principle behind concentrating on the front sight is so that you don't anticipate noise and recoil and flinch, or lower the gun. That principle still works if the front sight you're focusing on isn't in focus. Concentrate on it, anyway. You can still see both the sight and target enough to get on it.

And, you have no choice-- it's always going to be out of focus. Except, as mentioned, for target shooting where you can wear special glasses or use different tools.
Old March 26, 2011, 12:35 AM   #30
Ideal Tool

Hello, TheRoadWarrior. I purchased a Gheman diaopter clip on..adjustable pin holes, clips on glasses frame. I seem to be able to still shoot peep/tang sights with same precision..This helps with open sights. I'll never see 57 again. Best of luck!
Old May 10, 2012, 01:27 PM   #31
TheRoadWarrior

Thread Closer

I know this thread is long dead, but I figured I would get closure on this issue.

I have done something strange in order to help my right eye astigmatism.
I take off my glasses the day before I have a qualification range, let my eyes adjust to not having corrective lenses. The morning of the range my eyes are adjusted to not wearing anything and I don't have to squint.

I placed all five of my zero and grouping shots directly within the inner circle of a 25meter M16 zeroing target first time.

I qualified my best ever score of 36/40, which is expert. My eyes were adjusted to not having anything correct them, I was able to actually see the 300meter target without the blur! I felt my misses, it was because I jerked the trigger, not because of blurry targets or anything visual.

I did this because I'm deployed and cannot wear contacts. When I go home I can try wearing them and I know that it will obviously help my astigmatism, but this is a fix for now!

Thank you to everyone for your help and advice!