The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 17, 2018, 06:13 AM   #26
Mobuck

Yeah, like the 338 Federal is topping the sales charts?????
Old September 17, 2018, 06:23 AM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
Yeah, like the 338 Federal is topping the sales charts?????
I bought a Wilson combat 338 fed barrel and built an AR with it--I still haven't found the "holy grail" load that shoots well. The only 308 based cartridge I've had that trouble with so far, even the 358win I built shoots much better--but what the hey.
Old September 17, 2018, 10:26 AM   #28
Double Naught Spy

Years ago, I bought quality, but very spendy handgun. It so impressed me, that I thought I would upgrade to the next higher model the following year...which was even more expensive.

A friend of mine asked me, "What problems is buying the more expensive version going to resolve for you? What is so lacking that it will be fixed by upgrading?"

I had to think about it for a bit. I realized that I was perfectly happy with what I had and that spending the extra money for an upgraded model was only going to change my financial position (more negatively) more significantly than anything else. I bought a second pistol, one exactly like the first that impressed me. Now I have a spare. I did not spend the extra $ for the upgraded version.

That little lesson has influenced a lot of my purchase decisions, be it in cars or guns or calibers.