The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 5, 2018, 08:39 PM   #51
Rockhanger

S&W 642
Old September 6, 2018, 08:18 AM   #52
jolly roger

Always cargo type pants here. Most often Glock 43 TALO with 2 spare mags in other pocket, or a 642 with 2 speed strips. 642 in ankle holster for khakis etc. Shorts? Stuff a 642 there also cause those are usually cargo type also. Winter might get a wild hair and carry my G21 45 esp if travelling to some nefarious areas.
Old September 6, 2018, 10:44 AM   #53
Armybrat

Warm weather - Kahr CT380 or LCP.
Cool weather - Kahr CW45 or CW9
Old September 6, 2018, 01:35 PM   #54
FindANewSlant

I've never heard of people carrying different guns for warm and cold weather. Can someone explain the reasoning behind this?
Old September 6, 2018, 01:53 PM   #55
Mackie244Bud

^^^^^^
I'll take a stab at this..

Summer: People tend to EDC a smaller less printing gun due to light clothing.
i.e. Shorts and T-Shirts. Even Pocket guns.

Winter: You can EDC a larger / Full Size gun because it is easy to hide due to the heavier winter clothing and coats.

I live in South Florida but was company transferred and lived in Upstate NY for 4 years. First time I ever saw Snow!
That's my thought though Armybrat may have another reason.

For myself I wear my P365 for work and when I will be very active!
I am a X-Ray Imaging Engineer and service can be standing or on my knees moving around equipment..definitely not a desk job.

I wear my P320c RX mainly at night or weekends because it is a larger gun and I am not as active.

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; September 6, 2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old September 7, 2018, 05:53 AM   #56
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindANewSlant View Post
I've never heard of people carrying different guns for warm and cold weather. Can someone explain the reasoning behind this?
Mackie244Bud put up some of the reasons for cold/warm weather changes in EDC. I'll add another: differences in a potential assailant's clothing. In the winter, I'm more likely to have to shoot an attacker through several layers of clothing and may wind up needing more rounds. Bigger guns hold more rounds. Hence, bigger guns in winter.
Old September 7, 2018, 06:25 PM   #57
Armybrat

Mackie explained it quite well for me.
Old September 7, 2018, 06:35 PM   #58
FindANewSlant

I learned something new, thanks y'all!
Old September 8, 2018, 07:24 AM   #59
jar

We have three or four days of winter every year or so when you see the locals wearing coats and hoodies but even then that's when we are hosting the Winter Texans and they will still be in shorts & tank tops.

When the temperature plunges way down below about 60F it's time to hunker down and stay inside anyway.
Old September 8, 2018, 09:05 AM   #60
9ballbilly

Since last December my EDC has been a Para 1911 elite commander .45acp. I don't think that will change anytime soon, particularly now that I'm seriously considering converting it to .460 Rowland for those rare times a .45acp doesn't seem like enough. Not many bears here to run into hiking or camping, but I'd still be more comfortable having a mag full of .460 than .45acp.
Old September 8, 2018, 12:18 PM   #61
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ballbilly View Post
Since last December my EDC has been a Para 1911 elite commander .45acp. I don't think that will change anytime soon.
Ooh somebody in FL (generalize a hot humid place) carries more than a pocket gun.
Your part of FL must be less hot & humid.
IME a 103 degree heat index feels similar whether in FL, GA, TN (southeast).
Working outside, jogging, mowing yard, is not the same as going from air cond. building to vehicle to air cond. building.
Old September 8, 2018, 01:39 PM   #62
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerh3ad View Post
What pistol do you edc?...
Same one(s) I carried when working as a LE firearms instructor, carried off-duty weapons, etc.

If pocket-holstered, usually one of my J-frame snubs, or a LCP if the jeans pockets are too short and tight for a snub wheelie.

If a cover garment is worn, usually one of my assorted well-used 9's, .40's or .45's, as I used all of them for training, drills, quals and practice when working the range sessions and teaching classes.

I've decided to reintroduce my medium-size .357MAG revolvers back into retirement CCW roles now and again, too. Medium-frame .357's were a mainstay for me for many years, on & off-duty.

That means my 4" Service-Six (tuned by MagNaPort many years ago) and a 3" M65 (built as a class gun by a longtime friend and mentor when he went through the older, longer revolver armorer class at the S&W factory many years ago) will see some use outside the range again. My .44's will likely stay in the safe, aside from occasional range trips, as I don't really care to lug around the large frame revolvers like I did off-duty in my youth.
Old September 9, 2018, 07:42 AM   #63
jar

As I get older I find hauling around the extra weight of some of my full size pistols can be called exercise. Instead of paying a bunch for those little dumbbells I see other seniors jogging with I just strap on an N frame or 1917 or full size 1911 or Dan Wesson 15-2 six inch and get the benefit of carrying that extra weight all day long.

I also seem to get jostled less and even find folk holding doors open for me.

Must be my rugged good looks.

Old September 10, 2018, 09:54 AM   #64
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerh3ad View Post
just wondering what pistol you guys carry for edc whether its for ccw or open carry. I carry a shield in the warmer days due to printing issues and a glock 17 or 21 in the colder days wearing a jacket. I don't see the point in carrying around $1200 pistol, Imagine losing a gun let alone a gun thats valued over a grand.
Glock 19X, maybe a 21 when it gets colder.

As for the expensive gun getting confiscated bit, if the gun saves your life in the exceedingly unlikely situation wherein you use deadly force in a good shoot, and you lose the gun in my mind its money well spent.

I'll likely have far more than the guns worth of practice ammo through it at that point anyhow.

My $0.02 anyhow.
Old September 10, 2018, 10:38 AM   #65
jackstrawIII

Quote:
I don't see the point in carrying around $1200 pistol
I carry a Shield. It's shootable, concealable, and reliable. If I found a $1,200 pistol that was more shootable, concealable, and reliable then I would carry it... but I haven't found one yet.
Old September 11, 2018, 07:16 PM   #66
hornetguy

In really hot weather, shorts and t-shirts, I pocket carry my Taurus TCP.
If I'm wearing any kind of button up shirt that will help conceal a belt slide, I've been carrying my Sig P938. In cooler weather, if jackets are worn, I carry my Taurus PT111 G2.

I have a couple of other options, but haven't worked out the best holsters for them yet.
Old September 12, 2018, 08:19 AM   #67
agtman

Quote:
A boring ole G19 on my appendix.
Not a recommended carry mode. Significant risk of detaching your, ah, 'junk' if negligent detonation should occur.

A safer carry mode is indicated.
Old September 12, 2018, 12:36 PM   #68
peterg7

LCP, Shield9, G23, $500. Will get one a fine CC gun. I’m more inclined to spend more on a hunting gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 12, 2018, 08:15 PM   #69
Chowder

Taurus M85, Alien Gear OWB holster. Usually concealed.
Old September 12, 2018, 10:51 PM   #70
Polinese

1911 year round typically a full size model concealed with a t shirt.
Old September 13, 2018, 06:47 AM   #71
Ricklin

I wimped out

Got tired of packing the G19 full time. It was enough of a PITA that I left it behind, far too often.
I went with an LCP in a pocket holster. Ya Ya Ya I know, not enough gun.

I figure it's far superior to fisticuffs, the G19 is a great carry piece, the size and weight are as good as it gets for packing 16 rounds of 9mm.

The LCP is always there. I also justify this choice by my low risk lifestyle. I don't visit places where the likelihood of "needing" that much gun exists.

I like the LCP a lot, it is a handful at the range tho. I'm MUCH slower getting back on target vs. the 19. That is to be expected, and I will get better with practice.

That itty bitty LCP is accurate.
Old September 13, 2018, 05:11 PM   #72
MisterCrabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
We have three or four days of winter every year or so when you see the locals wearing coats and hoodies but even then that's when we are hosting the Winter Texans and they will still be in shorts & tank tops.

When the temperature plunges way down below about 60F it's time to hunker down and stay inside anyway.

Plus the gloves when it’s really cold. Tough to hold and very difficult to get a gloved finger in the trigger guard of a small nine or mouse gun.
Old September 14, 2018, 05:56 PM   #73
Brian48

For 16+ years, I carried a 5 shot jframe, but switched to autos a few years ago. These days, I have several options depending on the weather or what attire I'm wearing.

Hot months with light t-shirt, MP Shield in 9mm.

Moderate spring/fall months and sweat shirt or untucked shirt, Ruger SR9C or SA EMP in 9mm.

Cold months with heavier clothing, MP40c. Used to carry a SW1911 sub-compact in .45acp up until I sold it off to fund another purchase.

If in the woods or camping, my 2.5" SW 686+ .357 mag.
Old September 15, 2018, 10:51 AM   #74
disseminator

I usually carry a SIG P226, typically 9mm, but sometimes in 40 or 357 SIG.
Other times I might grab my P227 in 45 Auto and take that instead.

D.
Old September 16, 2018, 06:25 AM   #75
Rob228

Glock 19 or Sig 938 depending on what I'm wearing or where I am going (the Glock more often than not).

As to the price argument, there is absolutely no reason not to carry an expensive pistol if it is what you shoot well. Just be emotionally prepared to have it kicked across an asphalt parking lot by the first LEO on scene if you ever have to use it.