The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 17, 2018, 09:39 AM   #1
cw308

Rifle benchrest shooters

We all have our receipts on loads but what is your setup at the bench and your form in shooting . I'm shooting off a Harris fixed Bi Pod and rabbit ear bag , I have a piece of carpet under bi pod legs , shooting hand my thumb is at the side of the stock not across the top , shoulder is lightly touching the stock with a strong cheekweld . What is your seatup.
Old August 19, 2018, 03:14 PM   #2
cw308

Wow ,. I guess no one wants to share . The reason I brought it up was because I found different cheekweld pressure will change group size , some BR shooters don't even hold their rifles, with my setup my rifle shoots tight groups with no pressure on the rear of the stock but a heavy cheekweld .
Old August 20, 2018, 11:30 PM   #3
old roper

Are you shooting IBS,NBRSA or what assn puts on your type BR matches? I've shot IBS and NBRSA.

If your just interest why not get on this site and ask.

http://benchrest.com/forum.php
NRA Life Member
Old August 21, 2018, 08:50 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For years I had a 100-yard setup in my back yard, and then from 1983-2013, the bench rest was on the front porch. IOW, plenty of shooting opportunity.

I've always had some sort of solid support underneath the front sand bag, plus a rear sand bag under the butt.

The thumb deal? I've done it both ways; didn't seem to matter. The main thing was to check for parallax and to have the cross hairs as stable as I could.

I've always been a hunter, so as long as the groups were consistently sub-MOA I was satisfied. I never worried about one-hole groups.
Old August 23, 2018, 09:23 AM   #5
Rimfire5

After trying a number of front rests, including Harris and Atlas bipods and a pretty expensive adjustable front rest, I have settled on a Sinclair 3rd generation F-class bipod and a relatively high Protektor rear rest (with a carry handle base). I find that set up is the most stable both for both set up and during aiming.

Since I started using the F-class bipod, my group size averages have improved. I've been using them for several years now, and I bought my first unit when the 3rd generation units became available.

I actually now have two of the F-class bipods so I can have two rifles ready to shoot and I interchange them to let one of the barrels to cool.
Old August 23, 2018, 10:20 AM   #6
old roper

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/

The above is from BR match and 3rd picture down shows bag under hand.
NRA Life Member
Old August 23, 2018, 11:31 AM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...Harris and Atlas bipods..." Neither has anything to do with Benchrest shooting. Nor does any other bipod. Shooting off a rest on a bench isn't the same thing as Benchrest shooting.
Benchrest rifles can be a lot like artillery pieces or almost like regular heavy barreled varmint rifles. Rummage around the benchrest.com site.
Old August 23, 2018, 05:57 PM   #8
Picher

I have a heavy 3-legged competition windage benchrest unit, but choose to use a Hoppe's aluminum 3-legged rest because it's easier to carry to the bench. Not as smooth to adjust, but is sturdy. The rear rest is a leather competition bag.

Everything I've heard/read about shooting from the bench has said that bipods, from the bench, are not as good a rest as a three-legged front rest that's adjustable for height. I've never seen anyone in competition who used a bipod from a bench who was competitive, even in rimfire benchrest. Prone from the ground, they work fine, however, but the degree of accuracy sought when shooting from the bench leaves them wanting.
Old August 23, 2018, 08:40 PM   #9
old roper

I think this article spells out Belly Benchrest Style.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...e-built-rifle/
NRA Life Member