The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 19, 2016, 01:51 AM   #1
NateKirk

Shoulder holster opinions

I've been thinking on getting a vertical shoulder holster to carry my CZ 75 around in for the winter. Anyone use a shoulder holster? Anyone hate them? I've never used one or even tried one on before.

Seeing as how in the winter I usually am wearing a coat around town, and hardly ever take it off (I just unbutton it while indoors,) a shoulder holster would be a more accessible but still concealable option than an OWB or IWB holster, just because I could just reach down the front of my coat, instead of trying to reach back under a heavy winter coat. Your thoughts?

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old December 19, 2016, 02:39 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

I'm just one man, with limited experience.

But...
I found vertical-draw shoulder holsters to be very close to useless if there are ANY layers on top of them.

Open-carry ... sure.

Concealed at all ... nope.
Old December 19, 2016, 06:03 AM   #3
rebs

I have a horizontal shoulder holster and it works great for me, I carry a Glock 30 in it.
Old December 19, 2016, 06:49 AM   #4
DaleA

Well, if you get something like an Uncle Mike's that attaches to your belt, you can eliminate your suspenders.

The vertical shoulder holster is actually good if you're sitting a lot. Or driving a lot.

Finding a good holster is a chore. One that I've NOT mastered.
Old December 19, 2016, 10:25 AM   #5
rickyrick

I have a Bianci or (however it's spelled)for the winter. Weird adjustments but is great once you get it set
Old December 19, 2016, 11:20 AM   #6
Dave P

I carry a 1911 vertical in mine. Works and conceals fine with a light shirt or flannel.. Not made for fast draw.
Old December 19, 2016, 06:30 PM   #7
rickyrick

Bianchi has a very strong spring that allows you to draw outward... hard to explain.
Old December 19, 2016, 06:35 PM   #8
rickyrick

Maybe this explains it, its vertical but you can draw easily, but it's firmly secured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 19, 2016, 09:19 PM   #9
lefteye

So rickirick - Which do you like better: your Bianci or your Bianchi?
Old December 19, 2016, 09:29 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

I've got several shoulder rigs, the leather Bianchi is the best of the makes I have, especially for a big pistol like a 1911 or a CZ 75.

I prefer vertical to horizontal carry. It's certainly the best carry while seated.
Old December 19, 2016, 09:31 PM   #11
rickyrick

Lol

I figured out the spelling when I actually looked at it.

It's not the best form of carrying, but it's great to go on a hike, or a walk in the neighborhood with sweatpants and a wind breaker.

I prefer IWB, but the shoulder holster is nice in certain occasions.

Old December 19, 2016, 09:32 PM   #12
rickyrick

Old December 20, 2016, 12:19 AM   #13
ballardw

If you can borrow one of the holsters for a day or two and practice drawing in various combinations of clothing.

You may find that your body build makes it difficult to draw or requires more effort than you want.
Old December 20, 2016, 01:08 AM   #14
lefteye

Quote:
It's not the best form of carrying, but it's great to go on a hike, or a walk in the neighborhood with sweatpants and a wind breaker.

I prefer IWB, but the shoulder holster is nice in certain occasions.

I agree!
Old December 20, 2016, 10:53 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've winter carried in horizontal shoulder holster for years. It's one of my preferred carry methods, especially when I'm driving.

I've carried both revolvers and semi-autos ranging from small to rather large and heavy.

One big consideration if you're going to be carrying over long periods of time is to go with wider shoulder straps to distribute the weight.

I've gotten a fair amount of grief from different people over the years for carrying in a shoulder holster, in a horizontal shoulder holster, or both.

The biggest complaints from the naysayers are:

1. The muzzle's pointing at things you don't want to shoot!

2. When you draw, you're pointing the muzzle at your body parts!

Dealing with number one, no matter how you carry, your muzzle is going to be pointing at something you don't want to shoot.

Obviously the concern is that with a horizontal holster the muzzle is pointing at things/people behind you.

Frankly, I dismiss that concern because the gun is secured in a holster and none of my firearms have ever been possessed by demons that have decided to fire them randomly with no human interaction.

Naysayer argument number two is absolutely ludicrous. I can't think of a single CCW-type holster, or any other kind of holster, that doesn't result in the muzzle pointing at some region of your body when you draw.

Good evidence for that can be found in the Utoob video of the guy drawing a .45 Colt from a belt holster and sending a round through his leg.

The cure for that?

KEEP YOUR DAMNED FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER WHEN YOU'RE DRAWING YOUR GUN!

Speaking of fingers and triggers, that's been an argument against the Sherpa holster. Recently one of the friends of the Sherpa, a highly experienced gun guy, decided to video himself drawing from the holster to prove to the detractors that the finger didn't go anywhere near the trigger on draw.

Guess what happened... Video clearly showed his trigger finger hard on the trigger during the draw.

So, whatever holster design you decide on, make sure that it's one that allows you to keep your finger off the trigger during the draw.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 21, 2016, 03:49 PM   #16
Jimbo-Indy

I'm a big fan of shoulder holsters. Have a Bianchi X-15 vertical for my big revolvers (7 1/2" super Blackhawk, 6 1/2" N frame S&W, etc.) and I am a big fan of this type of holster. Also have a Ross leather vertical holster for my 1911 which also works for High Power and S&W 39. It rides low, close to the belt. Harder to reach due to my big gut. Have a High Noon horizontal style for my CZ97B, Recommend this one as it makes the weight of the big pistol vanish. I like it so much that I'm ordering another one for my Kahr CT40 which should be very comfortable as the Kahr weighs 1/2 of the big CZ. Tried some of the cheap nylon generic fit holsters and was dissapointed, don't waste your money. Stick with Bianchi, High Noon or one of the big names like El Paso Saddlery, Galco, etc. MTR leather makes great products but I haven't tried their shoulder rig though they look nice.
Old December 21, 2016, 08:37 PM   #17
t45

During the winter I turn to a shoulder holster occasionally. It's a very comfortable way to carry especially if your driving or sitting a lot.
Old December 21, 2016, 08:42 PM   #18
chuckscap

We (my sons and I) like the DeSantis NY Undercover holster

http://www.desantisholster.com/NEW-Y...ERCOVERDBL-PCH
Old December 21, 2016, 09:21 PM   #19
James K
Member In Memoriam

I was once persuaded to try a shoulder holster of the type shown. I gave it a thorough trial (two days); it felt like a strait jacket. I went back to my belt type Bucheimer Federal Man* holsters (one for a Chiefs Special, one for a Model 19). I did try other kinds of holsters from time to time, but never found any I liked.

*Long unavailable, it is still one of the best and fastest thumb-break revolver holsters ever made.

Jim
Old December 21, 2016, 09:32 PM   #20
Brit

The one place that a horizontal shoulder holster is perfect for.

Body Guard/Plain Clothes Police Officer, and a person who is armed, in a suit in their normal daily work clothes.

Look at how you stand, or sit, as in right handed, sitting or standing, both work. Cross your arms, dominant hand under your open jacket.

You can actually be holding the butt of your Glock 19 (my choice) and it can not be seen. This is prior to actually drawing. Otherwise your arms are folded! Just folded. Standing, the first time your hand gun is shown, is when it comes from under your left fore arm.

This hard to describe, sorry, but all of a sudden, you are firing.
Old December 22, 2016, 12:07 AM   #21
Beachcomber

Quote:
rebs said...I have a horizontal shoulder holster and it works great for me, I carry a Glock 30 in it.
rebs... who makes your Glock 30 shoulder holster? I'm looking for a decent horizontal leather shoulder holster to carry my G30 under a coat/jacket.
Old December 22, 2016, 01:20 AM   #22
TRX

Safariland makes a couple of horizontals for the Glock.

Most of the year I carry a small revolver in an "upside-down" shoulder rig under a polo shirt. In weather cool enough for an overshirt or jacket, I wear a full-size .45 in a horizontal rig.

Shoulder holsters are pretty much "one size fits all" with a lot of adjustment. But even very small adjustments make a big difference in how the rig sits and how comfortable it is. The main thing to remember is that after you move around a bit, the center of gravity of the gun is going to be under the point of your shoulder, no matter where you had things arranged when you started.

Last time I went shopping for shoulder holsters I collected pictures and information into a web page:

http://dave2.freeshell.org/tech1/shoulder/holsters.htm
Old December 22, 2016, 08:14 AM   #23
MandolinMan

Quote:
Last time I went shopping for shoulder holsters I collected pictures and information into a web page:

http://dave2.freeshell.org/tech1/shoulder/holsters.htm
That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Old December 24, 2016, 12:30 PM   #24
T. O'Heir

Leather will get wet from sweat and require a bunch of maintenance. Uncle Mike's ballistic nylon does not. (Both a 1911A1 and BHP fit nicely.) Adjustable in every direction too. Probably best with the front(grip) hanging down a bit. Anyway, once you get it adjusted right for you, the pistol will disappear and the holster will be comfortable to wear.
"...muzzle's pointing at things..." S'why the assorted shooting games don't allow 'em. Muzzle in any IWB holster points at things too. Same cure with 'practice using the thing' added. snicker.
"..."one size fits all" with a lot of adjustment..." Yep. Put one on after John Candy had been wearing it for some movie being shot in Toronto.(shop was providing stuff). Holster part came to my hip.
Old December 24, 2016, 05:21 PM   #25
agtman

Shoulder holsters definitely have a place for concealed carry, especially if you do a lot of sitting, like in your car.

The real problem with SHs, however, is less about the holster and more about the body shape of the wearer.

If you're a big wide, barrel-chested dudenal, your girth will push the SH sideways (the part holding the gun AND the off-side unit holding the mags or speed-loaders). That result will make you doubly "printy," which isn't a good thing if you're trying to be discreet.

In other words, SHs work best with in-shape, svelte body-types (i.e., low body fat). They work for thin guys too (tall or short), but even apart from that, the real down-side is that SHs - whether horizontal and vertical - require a covering garment. Coat, shirt, t-shirt, sweatshirt, whatever.

Obligatory pic follows ...

SH were once the rage with undercover '80s studs ...

Last edited by agtman; December 24, 2016 at 09:47 PM.