The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 26, 2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Bharrigan915

What is a good, cheap first hunting rifle for a 13 year old?

So im turning 13, and i want to buy myself a good hunting rifle for deer. Im trying to decide between the savage xp camo, the ruger american, or the mossberg atr short action scoped. Also, since im 5'3" and 170 lbs, which caliber? .243, .270, .308, or .30-06? Would the recoil of the higher calibers be too much?

If you guys have more suggestions of bolt action rifles under $500, i would appreciate it. Also, what is a good scope that I can get for under $75?

Last edited by Bharrigan915; July 26, 2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: I put the wrong rifle on my list.
Old July 26, 2013, 09:46 AM   #2
AllenJ

Any of the three brand of rifles you suggested are good. Another that I like is the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2. Your best bet is to handle each one and see which fits you best and which you like the most.

As for cartridge it really depends on how much experience you have shooting. The 270 and 30-06 both kick about as hard as a pump 12 gauge shotgun with heavy field loads. The 243 has little recoil and is very enjoyable to shoot, and the 308 is kind of in between. If you have little to no experience with heavier recoiling firearms, I'd go with the 243. It is a great deer and varmint round, and you'll enjoy shooting it at the range.

I'll probably get blasted for saying this but in my opinion there are no "good" scopes in the price range you mention. If it were me I'd look at getting a rifle/scope package and then save up my money so I could get a better scope later on. Plan on spending at least a couple hundred dollars for decent glass.
Old July 26, 2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Doyle

I personally thing a .243 is not a good choice for a kid. Shot placement is too critical with a .243. I believe 7mm-08 to be a more effective round with a negligible increase in recoil.

And yes, the higher power calibers (.270, .308, 30-06) do recoil too much for a small-framed person.
Old July 26, 2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Bharrigan915

Thanks AllenJ. I was thinking about a rifle/scope package, but i saw a review that said the savage xp bolt rubs against the scope and that the scopes that come on them are not good. Also, you're sure that a .243 winchester in any of them will take down a deer? Will it kill a black bear (im from new york so i want my gun to be able to kill a black bear just in case i have to)?

Last edited by Bharrigan915; July 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old July 26, 2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Bharrigan915

AllenJ i will be in the woods of new york so the range wouldnt be that far. With that being said, would i still need a really good scope or could i go with a lower priced one?
Old July 26, 2013, 10:09 AM   #6
PetahW

You don't need a premium scope at this point.

The econo-boltguns, like your choices & the Marlin XS-7, can be had for about $350; and a very decent scope of your choice can be had by surfing through the least expensive online optics dealer: www.swfa.com

FWIW, I started out with a .243, "graduated" to bigger & magnum chamberings, and have finally realized that a .243's really all that's needed here in the Northeast.

Old July 26, 2013, 10:17 AM   #7
TB9

you may also want to search the used gun racks for a good 30/30 more than enough power to knock down a deer or bear not much recoil and lots of them around for well inside your budget get a marlin and you can scope it real easy also. HTH
Old July 26, 2013, 10:39 AM   #8
jcjr3020

If i was building my first hunting rig on a budget, i would look hard at the Stevens 200 in .308. Same as the Savage model 11 from some years ago, and has a lot more extras available than the Axis. Optics - i would look at the Burris Fullfield II or the Redfield Revolution in 3-9X40, I don’t think you can beat the Burris glass for the price. You can find all this for a little more than $500, and looking at your first post $500 could be your max but i would save a little more and skip the package deals. If your dead set on the rifles you have listed i would go with the Savage.
Old July 26, 2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Mystro

A Savage 243 is a perfect kids gun. Its a good gun/caliber for anybody. Too many guys are waayyy over gunned today anyway.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old July 26, 2013, 11:32 AM   #10
JD0x0

This is just my opinion but of those rifles you listed I'd go with the Ruger American.

Everyone has differing abilities to handling recoil. When I got my ruger M77 in .270 win I was 20 and weighed 120lbs at 5'9''
I have no problem with the recoil with the .270, the 30-06 doesn't recoil much harder, which is the highest recoiling cartridge that you listed. I think it would be reasonable to think a young man could handle the recoil from a 30-06, but I'd suggest shooting it in a similar weight rifle, to get an idea what it kicks like.

This is just my opinion again, but I believe that .270 is the most versatile caliber that you listed. It will take the same game that the .30 cal can take, but with the .270 you have a better choice of lighter bullets, flatter trajectory, and generally less recoil. .30 cal has a larger bullet selection, but it just makes choices more complicated, the .270 has all the bullet selection it could ever need. 75grain armor piercing, 83,85,90,95,100,105,110,115,120,125,130,135,140,150,160,165,175,180 grain bullets in all types of shapes, construction and styles.
Old July 26, 2013, 01:15 PM   #11
AllenJ

Quote:
Thanks AllenJ. I was thinking about a rifle/scope package, but i saw a review that said the savage xp bolt rubs against the scope and that the scopes that come on them are not good. Also, you're sure that a .243 winchester in any of them will take down a deer? Will it kill a black bear (im from new york so i want my gun to be able to kill a black bear just in case i have to)?
The 243 Winchester is an excellent deer cartridge and I would not hesitate to take black bear with it either. The keys to success with any cartridge are proper shot placement and using the right bullet to get the job done.

Quote:
AllenJ i will be in the woods of new york so the range wouldnt be that far. With that being said, would i still need a really good scope or could i go with a lower priced one?
It has been my experience that really cheap scopes are not worth their weight. They fog up, they don’t hold zero, their lenses become cloudy and outside edges blurry after a short period of time, and they don’t adjust point of impact well. Scopes that I have read good reviews on lately include Weaver, Redfield, and Vortex, and they’ll cost you about $180 - $250 not including mounts. My advice is you look for a scope that has a lifetime guarantee, comes from a reputable manufacture, and if you can’t afford the one you like best save up until you can!
Old July 26, 2013, 01:28 PM   #12
Boomer58cal

I'm not a High dollar scope snob. The most expensive scope I've ever bought was a Nikon Monarch 3( Worth every penny ), but if you want the best deal on a "cheapish" scope check out Redfield. I picked up a 3-9x40 revolution for $140 after $40 rebate. Nothing will touch a Redfield for the money. Excellent glass, lifetime warranty, made by Leupold in America!. They even have rangefinding and ballistic drop compensation. The cheaper Nikon's are good too.

I've tried Bushnell Banner and a few other cheap scopes and they've always fell apart. The Bushnell I tried had the cross hairs turn into X-hairs after 5 rounds of 22 LR!

This doesn't mean you can't find cheap scope to get through hunting season until next year. I do have a Simmons 4-12x40 I got for $39 that has lasted for several years on
on my 22 hornet. Cheap scopes can be a crap shoot.

Boomer
Old July 26, 2013, 01:28 PM   #13
Torch

Hi,

You've listed some good options and you're big enough to choose any caliber you prefer.

Enjoy the new rifle!
Old July 26, 2013, 02:17 PM   #14
steveNChunter

With a $500 dollar budget I would definitely suggest a Howa. Dont pay attention to the MSRP on the site. They sell in most stores for a little over $400. For a lght recoiling caliber that will be good for deer, .25-06

As for the scope, you need to plan on spending about $150 for a decent hunting scope. One good option in that range is a Burris Fullfield or Burris E1, 3-9x40.

I own this exact rifle and scope combination and use it to hunt deer. If I had it to do over again I wouldnt change anything about it.

http://legacysports.com/hogue

Last edited by steveNChunter; July 26, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old July 26, 2013, 02:22 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'd go with a Savage 11 package deal in .243. You can get them for about $399-$450. It is a much better gun than the Axis or ATR. Decent scope too. My brother just got one last fall. Very nice set-up for the money.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; July 26, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old July 26, 2013, 02:35 PM   #16
Bharrigan915

Brian Pfleuger do they have that in camo or wood/laminate?
Old July 26, 2013, 02:37 PM   #17
Huffmanite

Entry type rifle under $500. I suggest a Marlin X rifle. Own several of them myself. Another brand is a Mossberg ATR. Don't own one, but several gents with them at range I'm a member have all been pleased with theirs. I've monitored the comments on various gunforums about the Ruger American and they seem to be pretty decent rifles too according to those who owned one. Yep, a Howa 1500 should be considered too, or a Weatherby Vanguard, which is made by Howa for Weatherby.

As to cartridge, kinda surprised no one has suggested a 7mm08. I'd prefer it over the 243 for deer hunting.

As to an inexpensive scope, visit www.natchezss.com and see what Simmons (by Meade) ProHunter scopes they have left to sell. Many of the ProHunters were discontinued when Bushnell acquired Simmons. Have owned 4 of the Prohunters in the last 5 or so years. All are on mild to mid recoiling centerfire rifles and have seen a fair number of rounds fired with them mounted. Not a problem with any of them. More than you wanted to spend, but check the Nitrex TR1 scopes Natchez still has left.....around $120 is highest priced last time I checked. Darn nice scopes.....basically are Weaver Grand Slams under Nitrrx label. Nitrex used to sell for around Grand Slam prices.....so a $120 Nitrex would have once sold for around $280. Own a couple of the Nitrex myself.....darn nice scope for the money.

Last edited by Huffmanite; July 26, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old July 26, 2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You can get the gun with a wood stock. It's a bit more though...
It's the Model 10 TH XP
Old July 26, 2013, 02:42 PM   #19
shurshot

Howa Youth model or Remington 700 (Youth), in .243, or a Used .30-30 Lever action Winchester. Scopes, for the Money, Nikon is hard to beat.
Old July 26, 2013, 03:12 PM   #20
Dirty_Harry

Marlin .30-30....

But if it must be a Bolt Action, the Ruger American is an excellent rifle. If your recoil sensitive, I would go for the 7mm-08 or .243.

I have one in .308, and I love it. If you candle handle the recoil of the .308, .270 or .30-06 you will have all the rifle you will more than likely ever need for North American Hunting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruger american.jpg (259.2 KB, 137 views)

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 26, 2013, 03:16 PM   #21
BumbleBug

Just one other thing....

Your first deer rifle usually becomes a keep sake. It's a gun that you may want to hand down to your son some day. Scopes can come & go but get a quality rifle, preferably with a wood stock & not a youth model (unless you must). All caliber choices suggested are good for deer & bear.

Be safe, enjoy & treat it well to last multiple lifetimes.

FWIW...

...bug
Old July 26, 2013, 05:42 PM   #22
Doyle

Quote:
not a youth model (unless you must).
I agree that a boy's first rifle is something worth hanging on to but there is no reason not to go with a youth model. Full-sized stocks are VERY cheap for any of the rifles he is considering. You can pick them up on Ebay all day long for less than $100. If you need a youth sized stock now, just save a little money from cutting lawns over the next few years and pick up one of the full sized stocks to swap out when you grow. It takes a whole 5 minutes to replace a stock.
Old July 26, 2013, 07:43 PM   #23
buffalo

When I started deer hunting in Upstate NY at 13 I had a Remington 870 12g and then the following year got a 30-30 followed by a Savage .308. I would recommend any of those,they all worked great for me in that area and many others.
Old July 26, 2013, 07:48 PM   #24
Jim243

The Savage Axis xp camo is on sale right now at Cabela's for $419.00.

That is with scope. Go for the 243 or 308.

Jim
Old July 26, 2013, 08:04 PM   #25
PawPaw

Or, hit the pawn shops. I've picked up some screaming deals on the used gun racks. Several years ago I bought a Howa 1500 in .270 Win, with scope for $125.00. A year later I got an almost pristine Remington 700 ADL ,308 Win with a Leupold Rifleman scope for $250.

As you are 13, take someone with you, preferably your father or someone who knows guns. It's hard these days for a young man to buy a rifle, with the FFL dealer having to be sure that the sale is legal. It wasn't so hard when I was young. In 1965 at age 13 I bought my first gun by handing cash over the counter, and walking out with the box under my arm. It's not so easy these days.

I hope your first gun is as special to you as mine was to me.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Tags
deer , good , hunting , rifle