The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2000, 12:50 AM   #1
El Rojo

I was just checking out the RCBS and especially the Redding powder measures of all types. Since I use IMR powders (4895 and 4064) in my Dillon RL 550B, the dillon measure is not all that suited for really fine measurements. However, there is a adapter you can purchase to mount these measures on the RL 550B.

Should I stick to hand measuring or are one of these Redding or RCBS measures worth the money? Any and all input would be great. Let me know what your experiences are. Thanks a lot.
Old September 28, 2000, 02:47 AM   #2
aw93

I use an old Redding powder thrower and I have found it to be very accurate and consistent. I use it to load as low as 0.9 grains of WST in a 32 S+W Long with a 98 grain HBWC and I've had no problems with it.

If that is not a fine measurement I don't know what is
Old September 28, 2000, 03:11 PM   #3
Paul B.

El Rojo. I only use my Dillon for handgun rounds with ball powders. I have two RCBS Uniflows, one with the small drop tube and one with the large tube. I don't have any experience with the Redding although I hear they make good equipment.
As to the Uniflows? I don't think they will handle IMR-4064 any better than your Dillon measure, and I don't think it will handle the 4895's any better as well. I have to weigh charges in them, just to feel safe. I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to powder charges, as most of my loading is on the hot side when it comes to hunting grade ammo. Even more so, when I load target grade ammo for use at the range. I really don't know of any measure that will give the kind of accuracy we want.
Paul B.
Old September 28, 2000, 04:24 PM   #4
JoeHatley

You may want to take a look at the Hornady unit: http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar32.htm

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old September 28, 2000, 06:58 PM   #5
Bruce Dane

I use a Redding Model 3BR with the pistol metering chamber and it's reproducible to +/-0.1 grain with the powders I use. I recommend it.
Old September 28, 2000, 07:23 PM   #6
El Rojo

This is going to be for grain loads between 39-47 grains of IMR 4064 and 4895 for .308. The Dillon measure works fine for the 4895, you just have to be real careful to see if the powder makes it in or not. It is usually pretty darn accurate. I am just wondering if the higher grade RCBS or escpecially the Redding measures are going to work any better than the Dillon measure. I think they might handle that extruded powder better. I don't want to take the manufacturers word for it, I want some real hand on feedback. Thank you for all of your feedback so far. Keep it coming.
Old September 29, 2000, 11:22 AM   #7
Bogie

One of the best measures I've found for long extruded powders is the Lee Perfect measure... I use an RCBS Uniflow with the micrometer and the baffle, but I only use it with short powders, or ball... You'll see a few RCBS and Redding measures at benchrest matches, but you'll predominantly see the custom jobbies.