The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 5, 2020, 02:36 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Light sources for chronographs.

I have a Pro Chrono.

As explained in the manual, these are unsuited to indoor areas that use fluorescent lights due to the high frequency flicker that we can't detect but the chrono can.

In order to be able to measure loads in an indoor range, I was thinking of using those little light sticks that you can snap to create a glow. One strapped along the top of each diffuser.

Would that work or would it be too faint?

Any alternatives that don't require an electrical engineering degree would be interesting.
Old January 5, 2020, 04:17 PM   #2
Legal_trouble

I know nothing if chronos but lighting, specifically led lighting is my main hobby; what are the requirements other than flicker free?
I.e. What direction does the light enter the sensor? How many sensors? If more than 1 sensor do they both need the same light source or is multiple sources ok (you mention 2 glow sticks so i assume individual point sources are ok?)
Old January 5, 2020, 04:25 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Buy a Magnetospeed or Labradar and that’ll solve your light problems.
Old January 6, 2020, 02:05 AM   #4
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I know nothing if chronos but lighting, specifically led lighting is my main hobby; what are the requirements other than flicker free?
I.e. What direction does the light enter the sensor? How many sensors? If more than 1 sensor do they both need the same light source or is multiple sources ok (you mention 2 glow sticks so i assume individual point sources are ok?)
There are two sensors. One at the front and one at the rear. As far as I know, the chrono measures a break in light reception at the front sensor as the projectile passes over it and then does the same at the rear one and measures the time difference giving the velocity.

Quote:
Buy a Magnetospeed or Labradar and that’ll solve your light problems.
Spending a small fortune on a new piece of kit when I have something that works already is not what I had in mind.

If I manage to put a round through my chrono, then sure, but until then....