The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 17, 2020, 04:32 PM   #1
osbornk

Cheaper than Dirt again

They are at up to their tricks again. I went to their website a few minutes ago at someone else's suggestion and the same 9MM ammo I paid $8.99 for yesterday at Rural King is over $32 on their website. All of their ammo is priced that way.

Last edited by osbornk; March 17, 2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old March 17, 2020, 05:30 PM   #2
Eazyeach

Case of Winchester 5.56 for $700. Ridiculous.
Old March 17, 2020, 06:51 PM   #3
TXAZ

I just looked @ the same S&B 9mm I bought yesterday: Almost $700 and 3X what I paid for 1000 rounds yesterday.....

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 17, 2020, 07:58 PM   #4
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
They are at up to their tricks again. I went to their website a few minutes ago at someone else's suggestion and the same 9MM ammo I paid $8.99 for yesterday at Rural King is over $32 on their website. All of their ammo is priced that way.
I went back to their site just now and they no longer have it. Somebody is buying it.
Old March 17, 2020, 08:08 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Don't worry.
To make things a little different this time, they'll be changing their name to:
"Cheaper than Toilet Paper"
Old March 17, 2020, 08:38 PM   #6
RickB

In another thread, someone was asking if a dollar a round was a good deal for 115gr JHP 9mm.
Old March 17, 2020, 11:58 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Gave up on them years ago and have had no reason to check them out again. It's too bad. In the beginning they were great.
Old March 18, 2020, 02:49 AM   #8
TruthTellers

I haven't looked at their website in years and this thread made me go their just to confirm. $30 for 50 rds of Tulammo .38 Special... disgusting.
Old March 18, 2020, 08:32 AM   #9
rickyrick

I haven’t been to CTD website in years because of their past gouging.
Old March 18, 2020, 01:18 PM   #10
Targa

I don't know how that clown show of a company stays in business.
Old March 18, 2020, 01:26 PM   #11
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa View Post
I don't know how that clown show of a company stays in business.
They do a ton of advertising, even on TV channels. Like, of all the gun/ammo adverts I've seen on TV, it's CTD and maybe MidwayUSA. Usually only see these ads on Fox News late at night.

If only Brownells and SportsmansGuide would advertise as much as CTD, they'd be out of business.
Old March 18, 2020, 02:10 PM   #12
jag2

I don't remember the details, last time they did this they had a booth at the Tulsa gun show and there was a very heated argument and a lot of yelling. Very testy exchange.
Old March 18, 2020, 02:49 PM   #13
spacemanspiff

I never had the chance to get gouged by CTD. The only time I attempted to buy anything from them about 12 years ago, got told by one of their sales reps "Oh you live in Alaska? We cannot send anything to Alaska. You don't have street numbers there!"

Old March 18, 2020, 05:03 PM   #14
Swifty Morgan

Man, what a filthy organization. I can buy 9mm cheaper than their 22LR.
Old March 18, 2020, 06:16 PM   #15
FITASC

IF you do not like their business simply do not patronize them, even when things get back to normal. Personally, they are responding correctly - raising prices to prevent those who already have too much from buying more and leaving some for folks who really need it.

No such thing as gouging if both parties agree to the transaction
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 18, 2020, 06:23 PM   #16
Swifty Morgan

So when you sell Purell to a caregiver for an elderly person, and you charge $50 per bottle, everything is swell. Okay. I live in a different moral universe.

I'm really glad I'm not still caring for my dad this year.

In Florida and Tennessee, gouging is a crime. Don't know how many other states have similar laws.
Old March 18, 2020, 06:54 PM   #17
FITASC

Quote:
o when you sell Purell to a caregiver for an elderly person, and you charge $50 per bottle, everything is swell. Okay. I live in a different moral universe.

I'm really glad I'm not still caring for my dad this year.

In Florida and Tennessee, gouging is a crime. Don't know how many other states have similar laws.
Come down off your moral high horse and think for a minute.
BTW, I live in Florida and there is no such thing as gouging

IF two folks agree to swapping money for product, then there is NO gouging. NO ONE is forced to buy anything from anyone at any time.

This is an oldie but a goodie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9QEkw6_O6w
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 18, 2020, 06:58 PM   #18
Swifty Morgan

I'll pass on the video.
Old March 18, 2020, 07:04 PM   #19
FITASC

Why? Because it proves my point and disproves yours? One should not be so narrow-minded

A mind, like a parachute, works best when open
Old March 18, 2020, 07:13 PM   #20
JERRYS.

its price based on future production. since no one is making ammo (except for government contracts), what's out there will go up in price.
Old March 18, 2020, 08:16 PM   #21
FITASC

Same for gas, toilet paper or anything else
Old March 18, 2020, 09:01 PM   #22
Targa

Price gouging is in reference to necessities but they are still a joke of a company.
Old March 18, 2020, 09:58 PM   #23
Swifty Morgan

Quote:
Why? Because it proves my point and disproves yours? One should not be so narrow-minded
No, because you are rude, immature, and annoying, in addition to promoting substandard morals, and I am not going to let a person like you send me around to look at videos you choose. Welcome to my ignore list. If the forum doesn't have an ignore feature, I'll just scroll past you manually.

Your type of keyboard-commando behavior is what ruins Internet forums.
Old March 18, 2020, 11:24 PM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

I think that's enough for this one.