The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 31, 2019, 11:03 AM   #1
RC20

The Lyman EyePal Works! (for old eyes)

If you are the typical my eyes were fine until I hit 45 and then your near vision started going South, these may be a solution for Iron Sights.

I have not been able to see the sights on my pistols since it began and had given up shooting them other than making sure they still worked.

The Eyepal setup is incredible. Even with a pistol I can see the rear, front and the target clearly. I had the 22 and 41 magnum down at the range and it was just like I was 20 again (seeing, I can't hold nearly as well as I could when I was working construction and had the upper body strength of a mule)

With the rifles I could shift to a scope but have also shot a very respectable 1.5 inches at 110 yards with a 1911 7.5 Swiss with the Iron sights.

The only downside is the so called electro static part does not work well or glasses and Eyepal disk needed to be warmer.

I just used some tape to attach them to the glasses and that was perfectly fine.

They are a bit position sensitive and my larger lens glasses work better than my smaller lens backup glasses.

I will see about getting a fake pair and just stick the Eyepal disk to them and keep in the shooting box.
Old April 16, 2019, 11:42 AM   #2
RC20

Bumping this because they work so good.
Old April 16, 2019, 03:45 PM   #3
BobCat45

Thank you for posting this. My eyes are significantly worse now (at 70) than they were even a few years ago, when I tried all sorts of lenses, prescriptions, stick-on bifocal strips, and so forth.

Even though I am the second-cheapest man in the world, I'm going to buy one of these to try out. Thanks again for the tip.
Old April 16, 2019, 04:07 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

We used to use opaque tape donuts meant for circuit board layout (before computers) to do this. Someone also had a suction cup with a camera iris type variable size peephole that you stuck to your shooting glasses. Looks like this is basically a large tape donut type, except using an electret instead of adhesive to make it stick. Good idea. I'm a little surprised it was patentable, as glasses pinholes have been used for so long and electrets have too, but I guess nobody thought to put the two together before.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 16, 2019, 05:27 PM   #5
RC20

BobCat45: You are welcome. I think its important that people know there might be a decent solution. Taping it to the glasses is a bit gauche I guess but I don't care. I may try a pair of goggles yet and leave them full time.

I have had two pistol sessions that were just plain fun since I got them.

I have two really good pistols that I was able to shoot (hand rested, I am over 60 and I don't have the upper body strength I did but have plans to work on that).

The early pistol shooting was my entertainment and I was good at it. Hell of a great feeling to be able to just do it even if I am not that good anymore.

The rifle was amazing to shoot 110 yards with a V notch rear (the front is really good wide one)

I am going to take the 1903A3 out and see how that shoots with its thinner front blade.
Old April 17, 2019, 10:30 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

You might enjoy this short Wired article titled "Why Olympic Sharphooters Insist on Looking Like Cyborgs". We already know the reasons, but some of the descriptions are humorous.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 18, 2019, 07:24 PM   #7
RC20

I did

You will be assimilated!
Old April 25, 2019, 07:39 PM   #8
RC20

I will keep bumping this off and on.

Its amazing what it does for old eyes, so worth keeping up front, maybe even a sticky.
Old May 24, 2019, 06:47 PM   #9
RC20

Bumped again,
Old December 2, 2019, 08:06 PM   #10
RC20

Updated:

The static cling thing quit working and not surprised, not sure what a good solution is but long term a bit of dust and time and.....

I got a free pair of shooting goggles with something I ordered, I modified the one static worn eye pal and put it in the upper left part of the lens (where my eye focuses).

I can see iron sights pretty decent with just those and sharper with those over my glasses.