The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 14, 2008, 08:17 PM   #1
huntman1412

Building AR15

I'm trying to get myself an AR15 for under 1000 dollars, and have several ideas of how to do this. The first is to buy a used gun, but I don't know the laws for buying guns online or from other people, plus I'd rather have new parts. The alternative that I'm more fond to at the moment is to buy parts. Now there's a couple of things I need to know to do this; first, what are the rules for buying parts online? Are there certain parts that are harder or illegal to get? i.e. barrel.

Also, I have a full metal M4 electric airsoft gun by ArmaLite so I was thinking that I would be able to take a few parts from this and put it into a newly constructed gun- stock, lots of lower parts, rails...all the ascetics. But This might not even be worth it as these are probably the cheapest parts anyways. So any tips on how I could get an AR15 for under 1000 dollars would be much appreciated! Thanks for the time.
Old April 14, 2008, 11:40 PM   #2
jcadwell

There are plenty of AR's available for less than 1000$. Buy an Olympic Arms AR and be done with it for 600$. Or look into a Model 1 Sales kit with everything you need except the lower. They start around 450 I believe. Good luck.
Old April 15, 2008, 08:08 AM   #3
OnTheFly

I don't own an AR-15 myself, but I have been looking and reading. I'm sure some much more experienced people will jump in to help, but in the mean time, here are some manufacturers/retailers with kits who seem to have a good reputation.I think most of these sell kits for around the $500-600 range. Add a lower for $100-150 and you've got a rifle.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old April 15, 2008, 09:35 PM   #4
huntman1412

Thanks I'm currently checking those sites out. Are there any risks with using different parts from different companys?
Old April 15, 2008, 09:47 PM   #5
OnTheFly

Quote:
Thanks I'm currently checking those sites out. Are there any risks with using different parts from different companys?
I'm going to ask the experts to chime in on this one, but from what I understand there can occasionally be trouble mating parts from different manufacturers. However, from what I've read, most people don't have a problem as long as the parts come from reputable manufacturers. I would ask the manufacturers if there would be any problem putting the two major components (upper and lower) together.

Again...keep reading and asking questions because I'm a gun newb.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old April 16, 2008, 08:15 PM   #6
Toolman

If you're going to use 'older' parts you need to check pin size. Some of the older Colt uppers have larger pins. There are 'work-arounds' for that. I have always used bolts that came with the uppers. When I get things mic'd out, I'll be ready to match up an old Colt upper (yep, the old triangle forearm slo twist) and a modern bolt. I'll post the results in the future. The AR platform is probably the most versatile platform out there & most of the parts work & play well together. The quality of the workmanship is the biggest thing as well as fit & finish. You need reliability & you pretty much get what you pay for.

Within the last 6 months I built myself a Varminter AR (finally). Mine is a free-floated RRA A4 24" SS bull barrel upper, a Superior lower, DPMS internals, a Harris bi-pod, a USGI buttstock & the trigger is a RRA NM. Everything fit like a dream & it shoots great. 3/4 minute (or less) @ 100 yds is no problem.
Old April 16, 2008, 08:24 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

You'd be surprised how many of the companies trade with each other. When Olympic Arms had a fire years ago, all the other companies eagerly pitched in parts to help them restart. I'd stick with reputable American makers and not someone who relies on off-shore parts.

BTW, I've bought from Olympic Arms, Bushmaster, DPMS/Panther Arms and have never been dissatisfied with their products. I'd stay away from Hesse/Vulcan.
Old April 16, 2008, 08:26 PM   #8
Toolman

On The Fly:

I lost on getting the Harley but won on the guns and reloading. Now, my wife thinks it would've been a lot cheaper to get the Harley.....You know how it is, C & R, more guns, more vaults, reloading supplies, more guns, better reloading press, scopes, more guns, ect.
Old April 16, 2008, 09:10 PM   #9
OnTheFly

Toolman,

Unfortunately I only live vicariously through other shooters. I have a limited budget for shooting right now. Family comes first, but I am slowly (very slowly) building up a stockpile of shooting supplies.

Hopefully in the next year I will be able to put a little more money towards my hobby.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old April 16, 2008, 11:39 PM   #10
mnhntr

just bought an AR by DPMS for $850
Old April 17, 2008, 09:47 AM   #11
UniversalFrost

Huntman1412, do not swap any parts with your airsoft gun.

Second, to build an AR you could get a complete lower for between 225-400 (depending on maker) on gunbroker, auctionarms, etc... and then go to midwayusa.com and get a DPMS upper or sometimes they have wilson uppers on sale.

Also, the gunbroker or auction arms will have complete uppers as well, but a lot of times the seller likes to take out the bolt carrier group and sell it seperate to make some extra cash, so just make sure if you buy an upper from the auction sites that it comes with the bolt carrier group (BCG) or is discounted to reflect the missing BCG.

Now if you want to really build an AR I can give you a really good step by step (with pictures) of a complete build, but you will need some special tools (brownells has them).

Otherwise, just make sure that the pin size on the upper and lower are the same, you really only have to worry about this on Colt uppers and lowers, the others are pretty straight forward.

Also, mix and match makers is no problem, they do it all the time in the industry. Also, make sure the lower is 6061 and heat treated. I buy most of my lowers from Ameetec (chandler AZ) and they get their lowers from the same folks that make the DPMS lowers, but for a lower price. The ameetec complete lowers are going for $275 with either an A2 stock or the M4 stock. Then add on a DPMS upper for around 400 and including shipping and transfer fees on the lower (upper can ship straight to your door, lower must ship to FFL) you can have a complete gun for about 750 including a few mags (the stoner mags on midwayusa.com are about 9 bucks and work great and have magpul followers).

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 17, 2008, 10:09 AM   #12
gunner79

DONT TAKE ANYTHING OFF THE AIRSOFT RIFLE AIRSOFT IS NOT THE SAME AS REAL FIRE ARMS!!!!!!!!!
spend a little extra and do it right.
go to ar15.com look in the ee section for parts.
i built a nice 9mm ar15 cheap and i built it the way i want it