The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 14, 2000, 08:47 AM   #1
Dogger

Set my brand new Glock 30 side by side with my reworked Colt CCO, firing 230 grain Lawman ball and 185 grain Georgia Arms HP. This is only my second time to ever fire a Glock (I put 10 rounds through a G19 a month ago). Started with the Glock and the Lawman ammo. First round fired and second round failed to feed. Oops! Glock perfection? Dropped the mag, racked the slide, rechambered the round and the Glock never missed another beat. The little Glock wanted to shift in my hand, and my shots were all over the pie plate at 30 feet. When I concentrated on shots, the gun seemed to shoot several inches high and left. Recoil was noticeably lighter than I expected it to be, and the gun came back on target fast. I was only able to get 9 rounds into the magazines.

After shooting the Glock, the Colt felt even better in my hand. Recoil with the Colt was more noticeable, but it was much more accurate -- cutting one jagged hole in the pie place when I took my time and aimed carefully. The Colt feels much better in the hand, with better balance. The Hogue rubber grips make a big difference in recoil control with an aluminum frame 1911.

To tell you the truth, I was a little underwhelmed by the Glock -- disappointed with the accuracy in my hands.

But geez, you sure get a lot of gun in a compact package. Although only getting 9 rounds into the magazines is a bit of a disappointment.

The Glock is very top heavy and for me, an old M1911 shooter, the balance of the Glock takes some getting used to. At home, when I picked up the Glock, the weight concentrated in the slide caused it to slip out of my hands and fall to the floor, bouncing off my wife's jewelry chest. She was "very impressed" with my dexterity. The balance of the Glock will take some getting used to.

When firing the Glock I definately noticed the sharp edges of the mag release. Am going to have to do something about those sharp edges.

All in all, I was disappointed with the range trip, but I realize I am being unfair to the Glock. After shooting 1911s, it is more of an adjustment than I thought it would be.

Sure is easy to clean though! And talk about a serious amount of power in a compact package...

Old April 14, 2000, 10:34 AM   #2
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Moving to Lock & Load aka Range Reports...
Old April 15, 2000, 01:43 AM   #3
blades67

The G30's have two different magazines available, a nine round magazine with a base that looks like any other Glock base plate, and the ten round base plate that is about 3/4 of an inch tall. If you have the tall base plate magazine, try the "Austrian Stomp" to get that tenth cartridge into the magazine. I have been told that sometimes the new ten round magazine springs are stiff enough to prevent loading ten rounds until they have been used two or three times.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.