The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2012, 04:25 PM   #1
smee78

Reloading the 30-30??

Hey everyone,

I am thinking about reloading for the 30-30. I have been reloading for pistols for a few years now and would like to start 30-30 (and 223) , is there anything I need to know that is different from pistol reloading? I know I will need to get a case trimmer for brass trimming anything else???? Any one have any pet loads to share? Also what is everyone using for dies? I like RCBS dies and will prob go with them but what about full length VS neck sizing?

Thanks for your info,
Old October 21, 2012, 05:26 PM   #2
tkglazie

I full length size my lever cartridges but thats a personal choice. You would do well to make up a dummy cartridge to determine the distance to your lands, back off .005", load a few up with various charges, give them a good crimp and see where you are at on paper. My powder of choice is H4895. With that powder you will most definitely find something between 30 and 32 grains that will put a Hornady 170gr Interlock FP bullet right where you want it.

There are lots of other good options though. Very easy cartridge to load, and a very effective one.
Old October 21, 2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Sarge

1. Don't overlube.
2. Full length resize.
3. Trim, every time.
4. Deburr & chamfer, every time.
5. Use only bullets with a cannelure.
6. Find the load and bullet that works for your rifle and stick with it.
7. Finish with the Lee Factory Crimp die or an equivalent.

The list above will save you from crumpled shoulders and other gremlins that pestered me when I started loading this cartridge a little over 35 years ago. Sierra's 150 grain soft-point has given best accuracy in the vast majority of 30-30s that passed through my hands. It's now the only jacketed 30-30 bullet I buy.Tried all the powders reported to give best velocity, etc, H4895 is now the only rifle powder I buy.
Old October 21, 2012, 06:40 PM   #4
jimbob86

I have found that the 30/30 cases are fragile compared to the other bottleneck rifle cases I load for ..... seating and crimping in separate operations will save you some cases..... shoulders buckle very easily.
Old October 21, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
tkglazie

Good point about the shoulders Jim. I wager thats what sarge was talking about with his #1.

It's best to avoid getting any lube on the shoulders if possible. I run mine across a pad for the body then use a qtip rubbed on the pad to hit the inside and outside of the necks for mine. There may be better techniques but this works for me.

Interestingly, although for all my handgun calibers I seat and crimp separately, for my levers I seat/crimp in one stepd. I never thought much about it but it certainly makes sense that it would be easier to break it up.
Old October 21, 2012, 11:51 PM   #6
Scorch

30-30 was the first rifle cartridge I reloaded for, starting in 1972. I always struggled with shoulder dimples until I started using Imperial Sizing Wax, and now it's the only case lube I ever use. I got my best accuracy results using Sierra 150 gr FP over 28.0 gr of IMR3031. Remember, with crimped bullets, it is critical that all your cases be trimmed to the same length or you will get damage to the case mouths when you seat/crimp.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:29 PM   #7
smee78

Thanks everyone for the info so far, I am still in the gathering information stage but I hope to be reloading my own 30-30 soon. Please keep the good info coming.
Old October 22, 2012, 07:26 PM   #8
LE-28

You haven't told us what kind of rifle or single shot pistol you are loading for.

With my old 30-30 Marlin (1952) with it's tight chamber I have to really watch the shoulder on my cases. I have to full length resize mine and bottom the dies out to the shell plate or I can't close the lever the whole way and the trigger won't pull. Mine is headspacing on the shoulder instead of the rim, it has to be short chambered, but you can do that either way.

If you think your accuracy should be better than it is, fire form some factory loads and experiement with the shoulder length instead of using the rim,- but only a few thousands of an inch on the shoulder could keep you from being able to pull the trigger.

I don't know what the new Micro-groove riflings are like to load for as mine has Ballard riflings. The only other 30-30 I have is my '46 30WCF Win 94. I'm a little behind the times with my rifles and plan on staying that way.

I use sierra 150 round nose, and 30 gr. of IMR 3031 and use Horn spray lube. Redding dies and Single stage all my rifle loads. As said above, watch your trim length and don't cheat on the OAL or you will have a jammed up rifle. Bolt actions, you can usually jam them in if they are really close but lever actions aren't as forgiving.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:16 AM   #9
Axelwik

If you're using them in a lever gun or anything else with a tubular magazine be sure to use blunt-nose bullets. You don't want the nose of one setting the primer off on another.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:22 AM   #10
jimbob86

Quote:
Good point about the shoulders Jim. I wager thats what sarge was talking about with his #1.
Oh, I'm not referring to the little dents from excessive lube..... I'm talking about buckled shoulders.... buckled like bullet crimped before seated fully ....

Getting the seating depth just right and then having to futz with it to get the die to crimp and yet keep the same seating depth...... the thin case is unforgiving.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:43 AM   #11
tkglazie

ah, got it.
Old October 23, 2012, 04:02 PM   #12
smee78

I will be loading for my Marlin lever guns.
Old October 23, 2012, 04:28 PM   #13
Gbro

I started reloading back in 72 for handgun and the first rifle cartridge I reloaded was the 30-30 (30WCF).
I started with the Lee hand loading kits and the only problem I had was if I failed to test each case I scrounged to insure it would feed into my chamber, I would have cartridges that failed to feed. This I found out many years later was due to a screw that was backing out on one of the bolt guides.
When I started reloading them with a press I had all kinds of problems and my scrap brass bucket received a lot of them. Crimping was difficult and at best I had plenty of pushed in bullets after a busy hunting season. Here in MN our firearms would be unloaded and cased to even ride a tailgate a short distance so the cartridges were in and out of the magazine many times a day.
One of the expert old timers here posted that he never crimps 30-30 reloads and I took his advice and although I don't use the old girl much I am very happy with the uncrimped loads.
Hereis the old thread

Cries out UNCLE! (I am using an eye-pad)http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...1&highlight=30

Last edited by Gbro; October 23, 2012 at 04:35 PM.