The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 23, 2021, 10:53 PM   #1
napg19

Ar15 bcg sticking

When I lube my AR15 direct impingement carbine I use minimal lube. Does not matter if I use Lucas blue oil or Lucas grease. After shooting at range it may take one or two weeks before I get a chance to clean it. I try to pull back charging handle an the bcg sticks in chamber. I really have to pull hard to get bcg out to clean. Nichol Boron bcg. And I try to keep the lugs dry. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong when I clean an lube.
Thanks.
Old January 24, 2021, 01:48 AM   #2
ms6852

You just need to clean it more frequently and all should be well but if you are going to take a few weeks without cleaning it just oil it more. It seems that you have a lot of carbon built up and depending on how much plinking you do it becomes a necessity to clean more frequently.

Does not take a bunch of time to field strip the bcg wipe all parts with solvent, wipe, and lube the whole thing 5 minutes tops.
Old January 24, 2021, 02:35 AM   #3
stagpanther

Is this a build or a factory rifle? Pretty unusual for an NIB carrier to hang--lots of things could be at play to cause something like that. I've encountered this problem when for whatever reason there is a bad lock up of the bolt lugs to the extension's--or there might also be something impeding the rotation of the bolt within the carrier. I've seen a charging handle hang up a bit on the receiver if something is out of alignment. Although NIB might hide it--look for signs of unusual wear. Even a tight fit of the gas key to the gas tube could cause that. NIB generally doesn't need to be "lathered up" as much with lubricant as other finishes in my experience.
Old January 24, 2021, 07:38 AM   #4
mehavey

I'll be honest, shooting it wet (slathered in BreakFree as it were), you can then just pull
the bolt group and wipe things off with a oiled paper towel at the range.
Presto -- 3-5 minutes max.*

Leaving things even this simply uncleaned after heavy shooting is what gets our kids
killed in combat situations as the crud/carbon turns into concrete when neglected.
You've just experienced those effects firsthand.
Gas guns are like that. (Ask any Remington 1100 shooter too.)

* sandbox shooters necessarily shoot/clean with "drier" lube.
Suggest you try Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner/Lube in that situation.

Last edited by mehavey; January 24, 2021 at 07:44 AM.
Old January 24, 2021, 08:11 AM   #5
jetinteriorguy

Don’t chintz on the lube, oil the crap out of it. That’s the way they work best. If you don’t have some oil leaking out around the pins it’s under lubed. To avoid the mess, I just clean moderately after shooting then oil moderately. Then when I go shooting I oil it liberally to avoid problems. If you are limited time wise for immediate cleaning just run a wet patch down the bore, let it soak for five to ten minutes and then run a bore snake through a couple times. Easy peasy and doesn’t take much time. Then when you get more time give it a good thorough cleaning, I usually do this about every 300-500 rounds.
Old January 24, 2021, 09:41 AM   #6
Fishbed77

Quote:
When I lube my AR15 direct impingement carbine I use minimal lube. Does not matter if I use Lucas blue oil or Lucas grease.
You have answered your own question.

Use more lubricant and use a lubricant made for firearms.
Old January 24, 2021, 09:55 AM   #7
oldmanFCSA

IN THE BITTER COLD here in northern Wisconsin I clean after firing, lube all areas, but wipe off lube before re-use to keep from freezing up the action.
Old January 24, 2021, 10:45 AM   #8
603Country

I run mine wet, using the new synthetic lubes. And somewhere I recently read that the Marines nowadays recommend running wet.
Old January 24, 2021, 11:08 AM   #9
napg19

Thanks for reply's. It is a build. Will be wiping it down after shooting and checking out other lubes. Much apreciated.
Old January 24, 2021, 12:06 PM   #10
rickyrick

Never had a BCG get stuck except for one with a an ejector roll pin that was working loose and a stuck cartridge here and there.

Grease or high viscosity lubes sometimes can slow down Movement of reciprocal parts and cause issues with the action. Maybe it is that dirty?

I’d try resolve the issue because it sounds ripe for an out of battery event.
Old January 24, 2021, 03:10 PM   #11
Hawg

Like the others said run it wet.
Old January 24, 2021, 06:35 PM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
as the crud/carbon turns into concrete when neglected
Absolutely agree with this--especially in the firing pin steps where it contacts the "stops" inside the bolt. More than enough to stop the weapon from firing.
Old January 24, 2021, 06:42 PM   #13
Chipperman

Make sure there are no burs on the bolt head or barrel extension that may be catching. If it's all smooth then you probably just need more lube
Old January 24, 2021, 07:17 PM   #14
Shadow9mm

As I understood it ARs were intended to be run on the wet side. Also, in my experience, they tend to burn their lube off pretty fast.

Personally I like the frog lube paste. Its the only thing that seems to still be there after a range session and cleans up pretty well. I just lightly wipe down all the carrier parts and the bolt with it before reassembly. Works like a charm.