The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 1, 2017, 10:57 AM   #1
noobwitha22

Loser rule sucks...

Here in NJ ranges have a rule/law, not sure which it is yet, that states you need two people to rent guns. I kind of understand but it is frustrating as I am a loser. I have very few friends and family that I talk to not many of which are interested in shooting. What makes it even harder is the days off I have do not match the days off the couple of friends I have that will go shoot.

What this means for me is I have to wait to see if I receive my FPId before I can go and rent the guns I want to try before purchase. All I want to do is test out some guns and plink bullet holes into some innocent targets.
Old November 1, 2017, 11:18 AM   #2
FITASC

Then join a local gun club or two and make new friends.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 1, 2017, 11:20 AM   #3
NINEX19

OK... I'll bite.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Are you saying that if you want to rent a gun, you have to have a friend with you that will also rent a gun or vouch for you? Does and FPID card allow you to rent a gun without a friend? Never heard of that before and makes no logical sense to me.

I would say that sounds like some stupid individual range rule and not a "law", but why? To what end? Seems like the range would be loosing money on rentals with a rule like that.

I don't mean this to sound rude, but this is nothing that people in most states experience. Please explain more since you are not really asking a question but only posting a rant (it appears).

Last edited by NINEX19; November 1, 2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old November 1, 2017, 11:49 AM   #4
noobwitha22

Joining a gun club is not going to happen any time soon. I am not good at socializing and money is tight. Hopefully in the future when money is not so tight.

I posted the question if it is a law or rule on a NJ forum, so I am waiting for a response. Not sure if this is some way to make more money or an insurance thing. As here in Jersey everything revolves around having insurance. I know people that live 5 miles+ and 500' higher than the nearest water but still have to have flood insurance, thanks FEMA for that.
Old November 1, 2017, 11:59 AM   #5
jag2

Have you actually tried to rent one and been turned down or is this just something you heard? Have you tried a different range? I would suggest you will get better info by talking to the range officer instead of an internet forum.
Old November 1, 2017, 12:07 PM   #6
noobwitha22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2 View Post
Have you actually tried to rent one and been turned down or is this just something you heard? Have you tried a different range? I would suggest you will get better info by talking to the range officer instead of an internet forum.
The info is posted on their websites and the couple I have visited have posted rules as well. I also contacted one to see what guns they rented and one of the things that was stated to me in the email was that I would need at least one other person with me to rent any gun.
Old November 1, 2017, 12:18 PM   #7
TXAZ

If there is no foreseeable future in getting friends in NJ, moving to Arizona, Texas or Idaho and getting a job there may solve your tight $ issues and let you shoot at low cost ranges or free public lands for free.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 1, 2017, 12:37 PM   #8
Theohazard

This is a very common range policy in many places, and I've never seen it be a law. The idea is to prevent suicides. [Edited for clarity: The range wants to prevent suicides from occurring at their facility, I don't think anyone expects this rule to prevent suicides in general.]

When I lived in WA I personally knew of three different ranges that had had people come in, rent a gun, and then off themselves in the shooting bay. This rule tries to prevent that: to rent a gun they require you to either bring your own working gun (not necessarily to shoot it, you just have to have it with you) or have a friend with you.

Think about it: If someone has their own gun they don't need to go to a range and rent one if they're going to commit suicide. Also, most people don't commit suicide with a friend around, so that's the reason for that part of the rule.

In the ranges I referred to, no suicides have taken place since the rule was put into effect.

Last edited by Theohazard; November 2, 2017 at 12:38 PM. Reason: clarity
Old November 1, 2017, 12:38 PM   #9
kmw1954

Not the exact same but I've been told an nonresident cannot rent a gun in Illinois. Seen that at 3 different ranges.
Old November 1, 2017, 12:39 PM   #10
noobwitha22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
If there is no foreseeable future in getting friends in NJ, moving to Arizona, Texas or Idaho and getting a job there may solve your tight $ issues and let you shoot at low cost ranges or free public lands for free.
I think after all these years living here in NJ I have planted some deep roots. So moving too far away is not going to happen.
Old November 1, 2017, 12:41 PM   #11
noobwitha22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard View Post
This is a very common range policy in many places, and I've never seen it be a law. The idea is to prevent suicides.

When I lived in WA I personally knew of three different ranges that had had people come in, rent a gun, and then off themselves in the shooting bay. This rule tries to prevent that: to rent a gun they require you to either bring your own working gun (not necessarily to shoot it, you just have to have it with you) or have a friend with you.

Think about it: If someone has their own gun they don't need to go to a range and rent one if they're going to commit suicide. Also, most people don't commit suicide with a friend around, so that's the reason for that part of the rule.

In the ranges I referred to, no suicides have taken place since the rule was put into effect.
Ok this makes the rule understandable.
Old November 1, 2017, 01:11 PM   #12
HiBC

I'll venture a guess what is going on.
I cannot verify source/facts,but on the radio a few days ago I heard 2/3 of USA firearms deaths are suicides. Actual numbers? How about we just agree its a significant number.

It hits the news occasionally that a person goes to a range,rents a gun,and ends their life.

I don't have to agree with the rule to understand it. The thought may be that a person who comes in with another person is less likely to do a range suicide.
The assumption may be the partner would steer the troubled person toward help.
I'm sure a range suicide is horrible in many ways for a range. It may end the business. Not arguing either way,just understanding.

Our OP.....I don't know what to tell you. I'm not a counselor. You seem to be saying you are pretty isolated. I don't know that your isolation will make a good argument toward an exception to the rule.

I'll take your word for it that you feel you lack social skills. Skills can be learned.
If you have no money,no resources,and no idea where to turn.....Some will say a Church. That may or may not be a path for you.
There is another resource in just about every town. Generally you can find them in the classifieds. Pick a 12 step program. There are different ones for different needs.
If you can't go shooting...fishing can be good. Or go to the shelter and let some dog choose you.
Good luck!
Old November 1, 2017, 01:31 PM   #13
noobwitha22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
I'll venture a guess what is going on.
I cannot verify source/facts,but on the radio a few days ago I heard 2/3 of USA firearms deaths are suicides. Actual numbers? How about we just agree its a significant number.

It hits the news occasionally that a person goes to a range,rents a gun,and ends their life.

I don't have to agree with the rule to understand it. The thought may be that a person who comes in with another person is less likely to do a range suicide.
The assumption may be the partner would steer the troubled person toward help.
I'm sure a range suicide is horrible in many ways for a range. It may end the business. Not arguing either way,just understanding.

Our OP.....I don't know what to tell you. I'm not a counselor. You seem to be saying you are pretty isolated. I don't know that your isolation will make a good argument toward an exception to the rule.

I'll take your word for it that you feel you lack social skills. Skills can be learned.
If you have no money,no resources,and no idea where to turn.....Some will say a Church. That may or may not be a path for you.
There is another resource in just about every town. Generally you can find them in the classifieds. Pick a 12 step program. There are different ones for different needs.
If you can't go shooting...fishing can be good. Or go to the shelter and let some dog choose you.
Good luck!
If the rule is there to try and help someone committing suicide at a range, then I do understand. It is just frustrating as I wanted to do some shooting before I got my PFId.

I didn't think I was saying I was isolated. I Just never did well with socializing but I have friends. Part of what you may think is isolation is from being broke. A few years ago a company I worked for closed it's doors. I was unemployed for a year, it really sucked my meager savings and I need to borrow money from friends and family to just pay my rent. I am starting to see the light at the top of the hole.

Sorry didn't want this post to be a real rant or whoa is me. Just kinda wanted to understand the rules in place at the ranges here in NJ, ok and a little bit of rant.
Old November 1, 2017, 06:32 PM   #14
WW2

At my local range in SoCal that rents guns you must have a friend with you; but they will consider the gun you brought with you as a friend. I often rent guns there along with my "friend", a Bersa Thunder 380!

The reason is to prevent persons from renting guns to commit suicide.

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old November 1, 2017, 07:14 PM   #15
FITASC

So, if you're bent on suicide and have a friend willing to help you, how does this rule prevent that?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 1, 2017, 07:43 PM   #16
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
...if you're bent on suicide and have a friend willing to help you, how does this rule prevent that?
In every State it's a crime (generally manslaughter) to help someone commit suicide.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old November 1, 2017, 07:44 PM   #17
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
So, if you're bent on suicide and have a friend willing to help you, how does this rule prevent that?
I can't tell if this is a serious question, but I'll answer as if it is.

Of course it wouldn't prevent that situation you describe. But be serious here, how often does a person have help from a friend? I'll bet it occurs less than 1% of the time. Probably a lot less.
Old November 1, 2017, 07:52 PM   #18
noobwitha22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
The rule doesn't prevent suicide, come on now. Lets think realistically...

I believe the thinking behind the rule is that if someone has a friend or family member with them they may not be willing to do it in front of them. Yes could it still happen? Of course. But I am sure the ranges want to do what they can to prevent it from happening in their facilities, especially if others can get hurt or killed.
Old November 1, 2017, 07:58 PM   #19
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobwitha22
I didn't think I was saying I was isolated. I Just never did well with socializing but I have friends. Part of what you may think is isolation is from being broke. A few years ago a company I worked for closed it's doors. I was unemployed for a year, it really sucked my meager savings and I need to borrow money from friends and family to just pay my rent. I am starting to see the light at the top of the hole.
I'm glad things are starting to go better for you -- I've been there, and it's no fun.

If you can afford range fees and gun rentals, taking a basic handgun class shouldn't be too much of an additional stretch. You can probably find one where the instructor provides several guns for participants to try out. You'd get some practice time, get to try a few guns (even if they're not the exact models you'd like to rent, you'll get some possibilities and a sense of how different calibers work for you) -- and we can all benefit from training, no matter what our level of experience is.

And heck -- you might even meet some people to shoot with.
Old November 1, 2017, 08:55 PM   #20
noobwitha22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Thomas View Post
I'm glad things are starting to go better for you -- I've been there, and it's no fun.

If you can afford range fees and gun rentals, taking a basic handgun class shouldn't be too much of an additional stretch. You can probably find one where the instructor provides several guns for participants to try out. You'd get some practice time, get to try a few guns (even if they're not the exact models you'd like to rent, you'll get some possibilities and a sense of how different calibers work for you) -- and we can all benefit from training, no matter what our level of experience is.

And heck -- you might even meet some people to shoot with.
Thank you. I have been contemplating taking a class. I have been checking out classes and there are some basic courses then they advance up in both what you learn and how much they cost. One class which seems reasonable to me is $125 individual for 2 hours. It goes over the what the different handguns there are and ammunition and how to load and reload safely. Not sure what else since that is what info is on the website.

Other classes like those that are NRA based are twice that or more. I need to research the classes more and see which ones will be worth the time and money. My friend who is a state police officer wants to take me out and teach me safety and well just to shoot some of the old guns he has collected. I would like to learn how to shoot accurately, it is what I am really interested in.
Old November 1, 2017, 09:24 PM   #21
Danoobie

Lived in NJ for a long time. Gun ownership and range time is a hassle,
no matter where you live, unless you own your property, in a gun
friendly state.

Something you could try, in order to improve your people skills and also to
meet new people, is volunteer work. Working somewhere for free sounds
a little suck-o, but it can really pay off. It boosts your confidence, by
improving your own image of self-worth, and people you don't
even know will respect you for being there, for others. And you could very
well meet a range partner, in the process.

Luck...
Old November 1, 2017, 09:35 PM   #22
noobwitha22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoobie View Post
Lived in NJ for a long time. Gun ownership and range time is a hassle,
no matter where you live, unless you own your property, in a gun
friendly state.

Something you could try, in order to improve your people skills and also to
meet new people, is volunteer work. Working somewhere for free sounds
a little suck-o, but it can really pay off. It boosts your confidence, by
improving your own image of self-worth, and people you don't
even know will respect you for being there, for others. And you could very
well meet a range partner, in the process.

Luck...
I appreciate everyone trying to help but my issues stem a bit deeper. Believe me if there was something I could do I would do it. My days of learning to be social are long gone.
Old November 1, 2017, 10:01 PM   #23
Danoobie

Well, you are social enough to be here. Now, if you can manage to
give somebody as little as 2 or 3 hours a week for a while, you
could very well be on your way to renting those guns you want to try.

I have to guess you really aren't that interested in trying out those rentals,
anyway. Never mind.
Old November 1, 2017, 10:31 PM   #24
HistoryJunky

I live in Illinois and I do not know a lot of gun owners in the area.

We have a couple ranges within 30 miles that rent guns, but do not have a large selection.

Kind of like you, if you don't have a FOID ca rd in Illinois, you can't shoot guns or buy ammo.

Meeting some new people really is your best option. I am lucky since a few of the people I grew up with and a few of my co workers like guns too.

Because of said people, I've got to shoot some pretty neat guns too. I am a bit anti-social like you, but think of the guns!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old November 1, 2017, 11:18 PM   #25
kmw1954

I don't believe you're too antisocial if you're coming on a public forum.

I'm retired on disability and don't get out as much as I like. Since leaving the work force I have lost contact with many of the people I used to associate with. I don't drink or go to the bars anymore either. I find as I age my circle of friends grows smaller for whatever reason. I was never one to have and abundance of "friends" anyways, though there were many acquaintances.

Plus as my interests change so does my circle. That's me and can't speak for the rest of you.

Since I've started shooting again I've made a few new friends thru the forums. The one other forum had a Meet/Greet/Shoot this summer and it was a great time. Surprised I haven't seen that here. I know I've run across a good number of members here from the Wisconsin/Illinois area.