The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 26, 2017, 11:14 PM   #1
HisSoldier

Higher than high scope rings

I bought a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x50 AO Riflescope Dead-Hold BDC Reticle CF2-31023 - scope for my AR-15 but since the rifle has a 14" long picatinny tube the large objective hits the top of the rail.

I also got the Vortex Optics 1 Inch Riflescope High Rings, Picatinny/Weaver Mount thinking "high" rings by the same company would be high enough but as I said the large end impinges against the rail anyway. Do any of you know if Vortex makes a higher set of rings than their high set?

Short of that, is there an extension that will tighten onto the rail that has a second rail 1/4" above it? That's all I'd need to clear the rail.

Thanks in advance.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old October 27, 2017, 01:05 AM   #2
HiBC

With a 50mm tube...There MAY be a question with a typical purpose built AR type integral ring-mount,but I'm pretty sure it will go.
These are not just rings,both rings are connected by a base and the clamp on a rail.More rigid and beats alignment problems

For a good one at a good price,I look to Rock River Arms.They might give you a height or advice if you call them.
At first the ring clamps looked a little bulky/blocky. Not sleek. But actually I think the "blockyness" serves to help keep the ocular and objective bells from harm when the rifle is laying on a surface. If the rifle must rest on anything to do with the scope,better the $55 rigid,strong ring mount that the more delicate,expensive optic bells.
I notice Aero is making them,too. They make pretty good stuff.Sleek,trim...not quite to my taste.Design is "Unique"...I'm cynical.
The Burris PEPR has a following. I don't care to bash them..I'm not fond of the crossscrew config and the powder paint or whatever it is on the actual picatinny clamp area does not make for a precision surface. I had a couple and replaced them with RRA and Armalite. At $55,the RRA is the deal.

For an adapter or riser as you ask,A.R.M.S makes a Swan Sleeve that is just what you are asking for. They don't give them away.They are a nice product. They come in a variety of lengths and applications. Some have integral iron sights.

http://armsmounts.com/shop/mounts/a-...r-swan-sleeve/

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=385

Last edited by HiBC; October 27, 2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old October 27, 2017, 06:13 AM   #3
LeverGunFan

If you have the Vortex high rings that are 1.03 inches high, there are other manufacturers that make higher rings. For example, Warne makes rings that are about 1.4 inches high, see this page and click on the "specs" tab:

http://warnescopemounts.com/product/...-height-rings/

Probably there are other ring manufacturers with similar height rings.
Old October 27, 2017, 12:47 PM   #4
Don Fischer

I don't understand the Pickawhatsit called rail. But look's like a good idea! Sounds like the rail is simply to long. Couldn't you simply cut off some of the front of the rail to miss the bell on the scope? Probably a stupid question, modern thing's for shooting sometimes have me really baffled!
Old October 27, 2017, 03:37 PM   #5
HiBC

Actually,Don,I put a picatinny rail receiver cover on an FN FAL. I used low rings . The objective bell would not clear...but the stock comb fit my face so the ring height w right. My eyes "found"the scope just right. I did not want taller rings.

No problem Used a boring head in a Bridgeport mill to cut some scope bell clearance in the rail.

The FALhas some drop in the stock. An AR is straight,so higher rings are needed..
Old October 27, 2017, 05:24 PM   #6
Rockrivr1

Vortex makes a 1.45 high rings that are pretty rock solid. I use them for my Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 scope on a Ruger Precision Rifle. The way the rifle is built these rings keep the scope about 1/4 of an inch above the bbl.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...riflescope-145
Old October 30, 2017, 02:48 AM   #7
HisSoldier

I got these risers for $18, goes up 1/2" but that's OK, plus cheap enough to keep complaints down from wifey who doesn't understand owning more than one gun.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162635829595

That scope seems like a nice scope for $200 and I may buy another one for a different rifle too many, maybe the Mini-14.

Quote:
Couldn't you simply cut off some of the front of the rail to miss the bell on the scope?
i considered that, but in general I don't like altering a firearm for accessories, this time the decision was close though as I don't know what to do with all the rail area.

One nice thing about the picatinny rail is that I can quickly swap out iron sights any time the mood hits, but it may be hard to fit both the scope and back up sights.
Thanks guys for the ideas, I got the rifle just for shooting steel plates so it's not a huge deal if the scope sits 1/4" too high I guess.

A different rifle too many is a FAL which I like a lot, I put a military M4 type scope on that.

Too many is way better than not enough. And I can always mention guys we know who own more too many guns than I do.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.