The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 30, 2017, 12:19 PM   #26
tdoyka

my brother does not like a lead sled. i do. its great for bolts, pumps and lever actions. its not so great(i.e. get that away from me!!!!) for single shots, like ruger #1, tc encore and h&r. for those i use "the thingy".

while using "the thingy" i use a PAST recoil pad. while using "the thingy" i tried to get my younger brother to use the PAST, he said no. i said ok, but it will be here, so.... he was shooting a marlin 1895 in 45-70 with a Hornady 325gr gummy tip over 51.5gr of rel7(do not exceed load). well he fired, said ouch(he said some things that won't be repeated, young family members you know. then he asked if he can have the PAST.

sorry, i was reminiscing, but the lead sled is a tool to find groups. it is not something that you can sight in a rifle and go hunting.
Old October 30, 2017, 08:49 PM   #27
globemaster3

Don, search Optimal Charge Weights.

Basically, they are handloading with different weights of the same powder under the same bullet to find which one shoots the most consistent.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old October 31, 2017, 11:47 AM   #28
DMK

Quote:
Lead sled is a great way to miss game. People seem to forget, or were never trained, that you hold a rifle the same way every time you shoot it.
This is a good point.

I always use a lead sled or Caldwell Rest to get my initial zero. Then I get up off the bench and shoot from standing or kneeling to confirm and adjust my zero.
Old October 31, 2017, 03:50 PM   #29
reynolds357

In full disclosure, I have a lead sled. I hated it so bad that I robbed pieces off of it and used them to build a hydraulic dampened linear bearing rest. I have worked out the hydraulic tension to match my normal shoulder pressure. I remote fire it with a pneumatic trigger actuator. It hits just like it would hit if I were shoulder firing it. It is awesome for load development because it removes me from the equation. My 338 Lapua will recoil 16 plus inches with the brake off.