The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 25, 2016, 08:33 AM   #1
Spats McGee
Staff

Yet another belt thread

After a good 7-year run with my trusty Aker B21, I am considering replacing her. I've looked at pretty much every gunleather company I can think of, and have narrowed my choices down to Hank's Kydex Reinforced Concealed Carry Belt and the Bigfoot Belts 14 oz Leather Gun Belt. Does anyone own both? Or have used both? Got any insight that you would care to share?

Also, I'm open to other suggestions, but I'll throw out a few things that are relevant to my belt selection process:
1. I'm looking for a medium to dark brown. My B21 is more of a tan or light brown, and that's fine for casual wear, but I want medium or dark brown to go with work clothes. As for work clothes, see #2, below.
2. I wear suits & dress clothes 5 days per week. That rules out tactical nylon and black basketweave for me. It also rules out 1.75" belts. Whatever I select has to pass as a dress belt.
3. I'm aware of The Beltman. I'm sure that Beltman belts are fine pieces of leatherwork. However, they don't offer them in the color I want.
4. I'm aware of the Bigfoot steel core belt. I'm sure it's a fine piece of leatherwork, but I don't need any more hassle getting through metal detectors than I already have. If, by any chance, you have one of these belts and have some knowledge as to whether it sets off metal detectors, I'd love to know about it.
5. My EDC is a Glock 19 on one side and an extra mag on the other.
Old December 25, 2016, 02:07 PM   #2
rebs

I like the Bigfoot belt and will be interested if anyone on here already has one.
Old December 26, 2016, 08:29 PM   #3
Beltman

Just an FYI, we do have a medium to dark brown color.
Old December 26, 2016, 10:04 PM   #4
Model12Win

I recently bought an Alien Gear dual-layer 14 oz belt, advertised with a steel core. These are actually made by Bigfoot for Alien Gear, it's the same belt.

I was not impressed. I bought it to replace my Beltman belt as I've gotten too fat for it, and it's a sore replacement indeed. The Alien Gear/Bigfoot feels limp and is easily flexed, it's just not rigid. I'm sure it would work okay for most lighter weight pistols but I was upset enough to request a refund from the company. So no, I cannot recommend them.

Keep in mind this was compared to my Beltman. When I first got my Beltman three years ago, I was amazed at how rigid it was. You could hold it by the end of the buckle out straight and the dang thing would almost stick out straight horizontally. It has held up incredibly well to carry some hefty firearms like my 6" Ruger GP100, a 45 oz gun with two loaded speedloaders on the same side of the belt. I never experienced any sag and it kept the gun tight against the body.

They aren't cheap, but if you want a REAL gun belt, Beltman is beyond quality. PS: I am not saying this just because Beltman posted above either.
Old December 26, 2016, 10:54 PM   #5
boondocker385

I have a Bigfoot. Decent belt....I have several belts with metal stays...they all set off detectors. I have one with a plastic stay, the buckle usually sets of detectors.

If you get a TSA pass it helps. Courthouses...become friends with the bailiffs. ...they are usually sympathetic. ..
Old December 27, 2016, 06:52 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltman
Just an FYI, we do have a medium to dark brown color.
Welcome to TFL, and thank you. I'll go back and look again.
Old December 27, 2016, 07:55 AM   #7
Beltman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
Welcome to TFL, and thank you. I'll go back and look again.
Thanks for the welcome Spats!
Old December 27, 2016, 08:18 AM   #8
Don P

Spats, the beltmans belts wear like iron. I have one purchased in 06 and it still looks and feels like new
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 28, 2016, 05:02 PM   #9
Doom99

Kore Essentials Trakline. They look like dress belts. They're "no hole" belts, adjustable every 1/4".

I have one and love it. Be sure to choose "gun belts" and not "fashion belts".

https://www.koreessentials.com/
Old December 28, 2016, 08:08 PM   #10
shooter1911

The two that come to mind with really good reputations are Beltman and A&G Gun Leather. I have not dealt with Beltman yet, but I really enjoyed working with Al at A&G.
Old December 29, 2016, 07:54 PM   #11
Wes Shaffer

I'm used to be a mortician, here's the belt I would wear with a suit.

I used to wear a suit on a daily basis, I wore a Galco gunleather belt. Here is a link for it available on amazon.

http://amzn.to/2ivCGbX
Old December 30, 2016, 02:47 AM   #12
RoughDivider

I'm a big fan of Daltech force belts, they come in a rich brown color that I'll link here, double stitched bull hide it is nice and rigid for my needs. https://www.daltechforce.com/collect...elt-rich-brown
Old December 31, 2016, 07:55 PM   #13
Koda94

Quote:
...and have narrowed my choices down to Hank's Kydex Reinforced Concealed Carry Belt and the Bigfoot Belts 14 oz Leather Gun Belt. Does anyone own both? Or have used both? Got any insight that you would care to share?

Also, I'm open to other suggestions, but I'll throw out a few things that are relevant to my belt selection process:
1. I'm looking for a medium to dark brown. My B21 is more of a tan or light brown, and that's fine for casual wear, but I want medium or dark brown to go with work clothes.
I recently purchased that exact Bigfoot belt in brown. The actual belt I received is dark brown, I also ordered it with the flat black buckle. The color selection on their site only says black or brown and the photo they show of the brown is much lighter than what I actually got (I prefer darker too so I was pleased with that...). The seem to have excellent customer service, I would give them a call to clarify to them your choice in case mine was an anomaly. The belt is excellent quality much nicer than I expected for the price
Old January 8, 2017, 04:23 PM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

Thank you all for your comments. I still haven't ordered anything, but I'll get there.
Old January 8, 2017, 10:35 PM   #15
WVsig

I really like my A&G Gun leather belt. Excellent workmanship and customer service.
Old January 13, 2017, 04:51 PM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

Welp, I finally made a decision and ordered a Beltman belt. Once it comes in, I'll report back on quality. With that said, I'll say this for the folks at Beltman: They were very responsive to emails. I emailed them with some questions, and they responded very quickly, within 24 hours. Then they followed up to make sure that I'd gotten the response when they didn't hear back from me (I'd missed the email in my inbox). I had a few more questions, and they were really great about answering them. If the belt quality is everything it's reputed to be, I'll likely go back to them when it's time for a new belt in black.
Old February 9, 2017, 07:40 PM   #17
Hitthespot

I see you already purchased. Just for the sake of it, I have found this belt the best one I have ever owned. And at 1/4 inch thick the price is extremely reasonable.

https://www.hanksbelts.com/collectio...ather-gun-belt

Edit: I took a look at the Beltman you purchased. Probably a better choice for Suit wear. While I love the Hanks mentioned above, I'm retired and mostly wear jeans, with the occasion dress slacks. If I was still wearing suits I would have purchased the Hanks in a 1.25" belt.

Bill

Last edited by Hitthespot; February 9, 2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old February 10, 2017, 07:19 AM   #18
Spats McGee
Staff

Yes, I did already order, but thanks for the recommendation.

My Beltman belt came in, and I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that despite a series of fairly detailed emails between me and Beltman, I'm (slightly) displeased with the sizing. I measured my old belt in a couple of different ways, including the method on their website, and emailed all of those measurements to Beltman to make sure I got the right size. I included information about exactly how I carry. I got the size they suggested. I can get it on, but I have to use the last or second-to-last hole. I should have gone up one size, just in case.

The good news is that it really is a fantastic belt. Not that I'm an expert in leatherworking, but the craftsmanship looks wonderful. The edges are smooth, the stitching is recessed, and the color is the medium brown I was looking for. And it certainly does the job. It makes a G19 with an extra mag on the weak side feel like nothing.

In fact, when the time comes to replace my black belt (which will be fairly soon), I may just order from Beltman, but in a size larger. I may or may not go back into research mode, and if you've seen very many of my posts, you know that's saying something.
Old February 10, 2017, 11:21 AM   #19
Hitthespot

What is it with sizing? I ordered a nice shirt a couple months ago. A mens large. When it arrived we all got a good laugh. My 7 year old grandson could not fit into it. It was made elsewhere. Actually I think in Keebler land.

Anyway Spats it might be time to lose 10 pounds. LOL!

Bill
Old February 10, 2017, 01:25 PM   #20
Koda94

I had the same issue when I recently ordered my Bigfoot gun belt (great belt BTW). I did exactly as they said on their web page and thought no way, so I orderd one size smaller. I got what I wanted, the extra end doesnt flap out in space, but im on the last hole to too small if I use this for IWB. Works perfect for OWB.

The problem is there is no industry belt size or measurement. Before I placed my order I compared the sizing/measurement methods from other gunbelt places (including The Beltman) and they are all different.

The solution is to get lucky and stick with that brand. When you find one that works, maybe order another one for the future. Like good boots.
Old February 11, 2017, 09:04 AM   #21
Big Wes

https://www.bullhidebelts.com

Real nice belts. I bought the steel core belts for myself and my son. Well made.
Old February 11, 2017, 04:33 PM   #22
Beltman

Hey Spats, I'm glad to hear that you're happy with the quality of the belt, but very sorry that the sizing didn't work out right! The vast majority of our customers get a very good fit using the measuring method shown on our website. But once in a while it doesn't work out right, and in your case it sounds like the belt is somewhere between 1.5" and 2.25" too short! I'm at a loss to explain how there could be such a large difference, unless maybe we shipped the wrong belt? (wouldn't be the first mistake we've ever made). So please do check the belt and see if it measures out correctly.

In any case, there's no need to live with a belt that doesn't fit well. Just send the belt back to us and we'll be happy to exchange it for the size you need.
Old February 11, 2017, 05:59 PM   #23
Spats McGee
Staff

Beltman, that's incredibly generous of you. I'll PM you some information so that you can verify my emails and order.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitthespot
. . . . Anyway Spats it might be time to lose 10 pounds. LOL!
Oh, heck. It's been time for me to lose 10 pounds for years. It's one of the perils of my sedentary lifestyle.

Tags
belt , belts , gear , gunbelt