The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 1, 2016, 09:22 PM   #1
Sb0311

Sako av .338 win mag questions

If anyone has insight I would appreciate it. While unloaded the internal magazine box has a bit of slop in it about an 8th of an inch up and down, when loaded the cartridges push it out a bit and stop this. And on a general note, I found a crack in the foreend of the stock right next to the barrel, would a crack like that be caused by recoil? The previous owner fired it from a sled setup several times. I'm assuming the crack will not affect accuracy but I am leary about firing the rifle before repair if it is likely to spread.
Old December 2, 2016, 01:06 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

What the mag does empty really doesn't make any difference.
A crack can come from recoil or be caused by dry wood. Where the crack is is what matters. If it's on the side, like a bit of the wood is about to come off the barrel channel part, it won't matter. If a crack is where the recoil lug sits, well, that's more serious.
Anyway, wee cracks can be fixed with one of the syringe style epoxy applicators and a clamp.