The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 10, 2017, 03:20 PM   #1
LTN396

CZ 75 Kadet Help-Bought For Husband

Please forgive me, as I am not very knowledgeable about firearms. I bought a CZ 75 Kadet .22LR for my husband and plan on giving it to him for Christmas. Now that I have Googled to the best of my ability, I am confused.
I am reading about conversion kits, originals, 75 pre B, SP -01, discontinued, etc and I have no idea what I have now or if I got a good deal!

Does my gun already have a conversion kit?
All 3 numbers (serial?) on the other side match and it also has CZ-USA Kansas.

Thank you all for helping and dealing with my lack of knowledge about these things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cz75.JPG (30.5 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg cz752.JPG (28.4 KB, 152 views)
Old November 10, 2017, 03:43 PM   #2
bassJAM1

If the pictures you attached are what you bought, then you bought a full gun, not a conversion kit. This is good, your husband won't have to do anything to shoot it other than load it with ammo. I'm jealous!
Old November 10, 2017, 04:02 PM   #3
Hal

Your husband is a lucky man!
I concur - you bought the full CZ Kadet, not a conversion kit.

They haven't made them for a few years - - but - - they are still very much desired.

You did well!
Old November 10, 2017, 04:32 PM   #4
LTN396

Thank you bassJAM1 and Hal. Yes, those are the pictures. I was so confused about reading all the different kinds. (sp-01 or CZ Kadet B etc) I do not know what those are going for but I have a feeling that I got a VERY good deal now. Thank you
Old November 10, 2017, 04:38 PM   #5
kmw1954

Your hubby will feel like a little kid again on Christmas morning. Well done!
Old November 10, 2017, 04:39 PM   #6
aarondhgraham

Your husband had better be very nice to you after this,,,

Like has already been stated,,,
You purchased the entire pistol.

Your husband had better be extremely nice to you after this,,,
The CZ-75B Kadet pistol is very highly sought after,,,
It's perhaps the best duty size .22 ever made.

You now deserve BIG diamonds.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 10, 2017, 04:42 PM   #7
HistoryJunky

As a CZ lover I am severely jealous. He's a lucky man. My wife did buy me an AK for my birthday last year though.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old November 10, 2017, 07:27 PM   #8
tallball

You did a great job. It is a fantastic 22 pistol as is.
Old November 10, 2017, 07:56 PM   #9
arquebus357

Do you have any sisters ??
Old November 10, 2017, 07:59 PM   #10
surveyor

outstanding gift,
I haven't seen a standalone kadet in many moons.

they are a very nice 22 pistol. (or conversion)
Old November 11, 2017, 10:35 AM   #11
redlightrich

"Does my gun already have a conversion kit?
All 3 numbers (serial?) on the other side match and it also has CZ-USA Kansas."

I can be incorrect, but I am fairly certain there should be 4 matching numbers for it to be a factory original Kadet, the upper and lower slide each have a number, the barrel, and of course the frame.

If the top three match and the frame number is different, then you have a Kadet kit on a 75.

If the frame number is the same as the top numbers, then you indeed bought a Kadet pistol, which are very expensive these days.

There is almost no difference between the full Kadet, and the conversion kit so either way, you have a great pistol there.

It is a Kadet, which means it is a few years old. All current kits sold are
"Kadet 2", which is clearanced for the Omega type pistols. The 2 works on everything. The original ( non 2) will not work with Omega.

I hope this helped. If the numbers don't all match, don't fret. It is still a terrific gun.

I hope he loves it. I know I would be grateful if I received that for Christmas!!!!

Kind regards

Rich
Old November 11, 2017, 12:40 PM   #12
muzzleblast...

I bought the full Kadet years ago. I love it. Your husband will have a very merry Christmas.
Old November 11, 2017, 02:49 PM   #13
Pilot

CZ no longer makes the dedicated Kadet pistol, but still makes the conversion kits. The full pistols have become very sought after, and command a large premium. I have the dedicated pistol, AND the conversion kit I use mostly on a 75B, and PCR. They are excellent .22 pistols.
Old November 11, 2017, 09:25 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

If the picture is what you bought and your husband doesn't like it...

Find a new husband.

I doubt he will care if it is factory original or a kit someone already installed on a lower and lost the center-fire upper. Should be a great gun either way. As you can see, we pretty much all either own one or want one.
Old November 11, 2017, 09:57 PM   #15
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightrich
I can be incorrect, but I am fairly certain there should be 4 matching numbers for it to be a factory original Kadet, the upper and lower slide each have a number, the barrel, and of course the frame.

If the top three match and the frame number is different, then you have a Kadet kit on a 75.
Re: the parts of the upper assembly sharing the same serial number, that's correct. But it would probably be more correct to call that unit an upper assembly with a bolt and barrel. There's really no "slide" to found."

I can't believe that anyone would sell a standard CZ with a Kadet Kit upper assembly installed, and not also throw in the standard (9mm or .40) slide assembly, too, unless the seller was intentionally misrepresenting what was being sold. That is a possibility.

But unless the buyer paid an outrageous amount -- more than the cost of a fullsize CZ and a KIT, the dollars spent were probably well spent. You can't find a used Kadet Kit, nowadays, and the price of the Kit itself is painful.

I've had a Kadet Kit for almost twenty years, now, and it's the most accurate .22 I've owned or shot. I now mount mine on my 85 Combat frame, and the sights are the same.

I had a beautiful (stainless) long-barreled Ruger Government Model with the slab-sided barrel, and I liked it alot. But, the Kadet Kit mounted on a couple of different CZ frames I shot so well that I traded the Ruger for a Witness Sport Long Slide in .45 ACP.

That was back back before Tanfoglio started to build the really fancy larger-framed guns they now offer, and it was also before the CZ-97 was readily available here in the U.S. I later got a CZ-97, but liked the slightly smaller Witness Grip frame better.
Old November 12, 2017, 12:20 AM   #16
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I can't believe that anyone would sell a standard CZ with a Kadet Kit upper assembly installed, and not also throw in the standard (9mm or .40) slide assembly,
Since they no longer sell the Kadet it is not unheard of for people to buy a full gun, then sell strip and sell the center-fire parts. It could also be in a box located in unknown regions of the gun accessory closet, or it could have passed through the hands of an estate/trust administrator who had no idea which parts went to what.
Old November 12, 2017, 05:29 PM   #17
LTN396

Thanks to everyone for their input and help. I am sure my husband will love it. I, on the other hand, can hardly reach the trigger with my finger lol. The slide is very unfamiliar to me and I have never had a gun where the safety button won't move unless it is loaded. This is a great forum. Thank you, everyone.
Old November 12, 2017, 11:04 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

Don't feel bad. I have the same problem with reaching the trigger on the CZs
I'd still like a .22 Kadet for the range even if I would never carry or compete with a centerfire.
Old November 13, 2017, 07:55 PM   #19
Walt Sherrill

The solution for (or, more correctly, to see a bit of an improvement to) the long trigger pull, is to start from the half-cock notch or just cock the hammer fully.

The half-cock position shortens the trigger pull a little, and makes it a bit lighter.

Those comfortable with cocked & locked (i.e., the hammer cocked and safety engaged) carry and start from that position in the holster.

CZ is one of the few guns that only allows the safety to function when the hammer is cocked, but because the trigger pull is long, you aren't going to pull it by accident (with the hammer down). Other guns, like the SIG line (where the DA/SA guns are generally decocker models), don't even have a safety -- so you aren't really losing anything important.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; November 14, 2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old November 14, 2017, 06:25 AM   #20
Hal

I've mentioned in the past how alike the D/A pull of a S&W M19 is to the D/A pull on the CZ75b.

I've never thought it to be long at all.....matter of fact, I consider it normal.

Since it's not a D/A only, I refer not to mix the two and use mine as a S/A.

I really wouldn't mind a bit if it was a D/A only,
Old November 14, 2017, 08:35 PM   #21
johnwilliamson062

I don't think it is the length of the trigger pull that is an issue. It is the distance from the set trigger to the rear of the grip. I don't think cocking the trigger will help that much, and even so, I wouldn't feel comfortable owning a defensive pistol that fit my hand so poorly in DA mode.

For larger hands it would not be a problem.
Old November 15, 2017, 01:40 PM   #22
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwillimson062
I don't think it is the length of the trigger pull that is an issue. It is the distance from the set trigger to the rear of the grip. I don't think cocking the trigger will help that much, and even so, I wouldn't feel comfortable owning a defensive pistol that fit my hand so poorly in DA mode.
Nearly everybody I've talked with, who have shot my CZs over the years, and who post on these forums talk about the LONG reach to the DA trigger. Many folks can't get enough of their trigger finger on the trigger to properly control it. Starting from the half cock notch DOES shorten the starting position.

If you rely on a DA start, it's a problem -- and that's why many folks bypass the CZ. But you don't hear that complaint about the CZ decocker models... which decock to and start from the half-cock notch.

Tags
cz 75 kadet