The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 25, 2017, 02:30 PM   #1
rebs

what brand of ML ?

Of the Lyman, T/C, traditions etc, who makes about the best hawkin rifle in 50 cal ? Is any brand better than the other's ?
What a kit to build myself, who mkes the nicest kits and how difficult is it to build ?
Old October 25, 2017, 04:23 PM   #2
FrontierGander

I own nothing but traditions now, but theres plenty of hawken style rifles out there. A good hefty hawken is the traditions mountain rifle. I prefer my traditions st.louis hawken as its a little lighter and does the job, but look around and you'll find something for your sweet tooth.
Old October 25, 2017, 05:13 PM   #3
Oliver Sudden

The TC is a fine rifle and will work great right out of the box. My first rifle was a 50 TC Hawken and it won many a match and did great as a deer gun. They can also be reshaped and customized to suit your taste.
The Great Plains rifle is a good choice as well and as kit is easy as any. Do a bit of refining trimming up the excess wood and replacing the set trigger adjusting screw with a longer screw and you won't regret going that way. I've built a few of them for friends and would again. I also like the longer barrel on the Lyman.
Old October 25, 2017, 07:17 PM   #4
rebs

Tell me more about the longer screw for the trigger please ?
Old October 25, 2017, 07:33 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

For mass produced factory items, I think the Lymans Plains Rifle is closest you get to an original. It would help to add an iron cap box to it.
Old October 25, 2017, 08:17 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
For mass produced factory items, I think the Lymans Plains Rifle is closest you get to an original. It would help to add an iron cap box to it.
What he said. A lot of original Hawken's didn't have cap boxes. My scratch built doesn't have one or an entry pipe. Also the GPR isn't advertised as a Hawken, neither were original Hawken's. It's advertised as a plains rifle. Hawken was just one maker of plains rifles. The Hawken was heavier and thicker in the wrist than most.
Old October 25, 2017, 09:37 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Since T/Cs are no longer. I would look at a Lyman. Simply because parts and drop -in-barrels availability. For a long time even before T/Cs discontinuance build of there side locks. I've always thought the Lymans were the better built of those side-locks mass produced and marketed in this country. Keep in mind Pedersoli is the new competitor to Lyman and Traditions. Davids P's pricing? His Hawken rifle has yet to have the reputation the other two (lyman & Traditions) have built amongst us B/P rifle shooters.
Old October 26, 2017, 10:02 AM   #8
Oliver Sudden

Reb, the set trigger adjusting screw in the Lyman rifle is to short for the way I like to use them. On a brand new one if you set the rear trigger and pull the front trigger you will have some creep befor firing. Try this with the lock in the fired position, that is hammer down. Testing the set trigger this way won't harm anything. If you prefer a crisp trigger remove the set trigger assembly and disassemble it. With a fine stone smooth the engaging surfaces keeping the edge square. Get a small long screw to replace the one that adjusts the rear triggers engagement with the front trigger. Lyman uses metric but I find English ones that are the right size easier to find. In that case you drill and tap the plate for that. What I then have is the screw that can be turned in till the trigger won't stay set. Since the now stoned surface of the trigger is sharp and smooth turn the screw out then set the trigger. Slowly turn the screw in till the trigger trips then turn the screw one turn out. The crisp light trigger will allow better shooting. Adjust as you see fit in the rifle while aiming, you can dry fire the triggers as much as you like as long as the hammer down.
Old October 26, 2017, 10:38 AM   #9
rebs

Oliver, thank you for the information, I appreciate all the replies.
Old October 26, 2017, 07:54 PM   #10
bn12gg

Etc.... Go with the Jonathon Browning Mountain Rifle in .50 or .54. Mine is the .50 Hawken. I've seen the others and while nice don't quite measure up to the JBMR. The wood on the Browning is to die for !

.02. David.
Old October 27, 2017, 09:15 AM   #11
Hawg

I'm sure the Browning is a nice rifle if you can find one. It will be expensive tho, they haven't been made in many years.