The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 17, 2017, 06:46 PM   #1
dahermit

Browning HP stoning jig?

I have a Browning H.P. that does not have a very good trigger. I removed the magazine safety but there it still has an irritating "hitch" (a felt "click" in the travel) in the trigger pull before it lets off. I had an inexpensive 1911 fixture (used a steel shim to set the depth of the stoning) at one time that gave my circa seventies .38 Super Colt Combat Commander a pull that is the equal to that of my XSE Colt Commander .45 ACP. I was hoping to find an inexpensive fixture to do the same thing to my HP, but all I can find is the expensive fixture as sold by Brownell's...which is way too expensive for doing a one-time job.
So, does anyone know of a stoning fixture for the Browing HP somewhere that does not cost an arm and a leg?
Old November 17, 2017, 09:10 PM   #2
ShootistPRS

I have always made my own jigs for trigger, sear and hammer honing.
Old November 18, 2017, 12:08 PM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
I have always made my own jigs for trigger, sear and hammer honing.
Not having a verticle mill or surface grinder, or the data as to angles, engagement, etc., I am confused why you think your post would help me.
Old November 18, 2017, 12:19 PM   #4
ShootistPRS

If you can't locate the points on your gun and transfer them to a working surface then you should probably not try to make your own.
Old November 18, 2017, 12:54 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

A verticle mill or surface grinder, or the data would help anyway. Especially as there are no set angles. Trigger work is more about polishing out tool marks than stoning anything too. Have you changed the springs?
A 1911/A1 and a BHP have entirely different triggers. What works for a 1911/A1 will not work on a BHP.
Note part # 59(trigger lever). I think your 'click' might be how that is moving. There might be a burr on it. WHAG mostly.
http://stevespages.com/ipb-browning-hipower.html
Old November 18, 2017, 02:03 PM   #6
dahermit

With the BHP in hand and observing the sear rise up from the hammer notch, I can see and feel the sear make a little upward jump that coincides with that little "click". It appears to me that there is a little too much engagement (it is an aftermarket "rowel type hammer that was installed almost twenty years ago).

And yes, I know that BHP's have naught in common with 1911A1's. I only mentioned the fixture I had for 1911 because it had worked so well and was hoping something similar was available for the BHP.
Old November 18, 2017, 09:22 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

You don't need a stoning jig. A shim and a vise is all you need. It's a matter of putting the sear at the proper angle in the vise and then placing the shim alongside it. Then push the stone over the sear.