The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2014, 11:07 PM   #1
Mavrick79

Dillon 550B Powder Measure Leaking

I'm running H110 using the large bar for .44mag and powder is creeping out the top/rear portion of the bar, I'm also using H110 for .357mag using the small bar and it too creeps out the top but front portion of the bar.

What do I do? Its not that bad with .357mag/small bar but the large bar leaks pretty bad and is sprinkling powder all over my shellplate, it falls through the center hole and through my crimp die.

I looked for details on how to adapt my RCBS uniflow to the 550b but was not able to get a complete list of parts I need and I also need to know if I can still use the dillon powder funnel/expander and have the case activated linkage. I'm only looking at this as a backup plan to improve the Dillon leakage problem.
Old January 1, 2014, 11:16 PM   #2
salvadore

Call Dillon, I think they will make it good. Great company.
Old January 2, 2014, 07:36 AM   #3
Mavrick79

I'm planning on doing that today but I'm not sure what they can do at this point. The way all the parts fit together leaves a lot to be desired, the moving part inside the powder bar is about a half to one mm shorter than the bar, then the bar has about a mm of slop on the top and side. The tolerances on all the parts are so loose that unless they improve that I don't know what they can do for me but I will definitely give them a call.

I would still like a list of parts I need to swap in my RCBS rotary measure if anyone happens to know.
Old January 2, 2014, 12:18 PM   #4
TATER

When I saw the title of this tread, I knew what powder you were using..
Wish I had an answer for ya…
Old January 2, 2014, 12:27 PM   #5
cdoc42

I saw the same thing last night using my Lee Load Master - H110 all over the top of the unit, into the areas below as well as the countertop. The correct charge gets into the cases but a lot of powder is lost. How does one clean it up? I'm told a vacuum might ignite the powder.
Old January 2, 2014, 01:14 PM   #6
expendable

I had this happen when I first got my 550, called Dillon and the rep said he would have them check the dimensions on some powder bars and send the thickest one they had.

This is exactly what they did at no charge and it has worked fine ever since.

Kurt
Old January 3, 2014, 07:52 AM   #7
Mavrick79

Well, got a hold of them yesterday and their sending out new bars. I'm hoping that fixes the problem but also tells me they really need to up their quality control if the tolerances on these bars varies that much.

I really like my 550b but this powder measure leaves a lot to be desired, if the new parts dont work then I'm going to try the Hornady case activated linkage on my RCBS PM.
Old January 3, 2014, 08:38 AM   #8
1goodshot

Just wondering how old and how many rounds have you reloaded through the press?
Old January 3, 2014, 09:43 AM   #9
salvadore

I've had my Square Deal before they were Square Deal Bs, and have loaded close to a gazillion rounds with it in about 30yrs. I believe the 550 and SD use the same hopper and haven't worn it out yet, however, the bar will start sticking and will need cleaning occasionally.
Old January 3, 2014, 05:49 PM   #10
Mavrick79

1goodshot

The 550b is brand new or about a week old, ran about 200 .44mag and 200 .357 mag
Old January 4, 2014, 10:24 AM   #11
roc1

Is H110 really fine powder like W296? I haven't used any as of yet anyway if it is Uniquetek sells nylon type bars that will fix that. I use there micrometer dials on my bars on my new 550B work great. Just a thought. Dillon Measure is accurate . I had Hornady press before good machine just to finicky . I have RCBS uniflow measure I will use on this machine for stick powders in. 308. I still use Hornady press single stage and measure. . Anyway just a thought might look into it if new bars don't help
Roc1
Old January 4, 2014, 11:03 PM   #12
Mavrick79

It looks like the unitek bar is for really small loads, for 44 mag I need around 24 grains. The Dillon measure has been accurate for me and works really well other than it leaks all over everything.

What was finiky on your Hornady press, how do you like their powder measure with the auto drop linkage? Did you use the PTX dies or did you expand separately?
Old January 5, 2014, 09:34 AM   #13
roc1

Hornady was well made just you constantly had some problem. Not ejecting cases unless you worked handle smooth primers hanging then bending linkage. Powder measure was good still use single stage Hornady setup with measure. Old style linkage would hang at top sometimes not return. Ptx tried it hated it Hornady said would work ok didn't at all when I called back next tech said it would only work on jacketed bullets not lead like I tried it on. Sent all new stuff back. Just got tired up always working on machine had it several years had all upgrades on it even Casefeeder finally sold it never worked good had replacement parts sent to me never worked right more trouble than it was worth. Had sent press it 2-3 times for rebuild just wasn't consistent always something. It is a well built well thought out just needs refined a bit. Had Dillon years ago it was old. 450 it had growing pains as well finally got it worked out sold it though needed money had 3 kids at time . Shouldn't done that bought Square Deal few years ago love it runs and runs . So decided o sell Hornady and was cheaper to buy 550 than all conversion for Square Deal plus I wanted to load rifle so far very happy. You know you can get adapters to make Dillon use your RCBS right? I have on on order to use my old RCBS for 308 on 550
Roc1
Old January 5, 2014, 10:02 AM   #14
Mavrick79

I already have the parts coming to put my RCBS PM on my 550b. I bought the Hornady linkage set and I did buy their PTX funnel for 44mag. I've heard mixed comments on Hornadys PTX funnels so I'll see, there is always the perfect powder funnel to try as well. Have you used the RCBS powder funnel/expanders? I'm wondering if those are better? It looks like I would need the RCBS linkage and powder die for those.

Now that you mentioned that the Horady PTX didn't work well with cast bullets I had the same problem with the Dillon powder funnel. I couldn't get the right flair to keep from shaving lead, even with a wide flair. I am also using either the Redding competition seating die or my Lyman seating die, with both of those dies you can only flair so much, if you go to much the case won't go into the seating die, I was flaring so the case would just barely fit into the sizing die and I was still shaving lead. Prior to the 550b I was using the Lyman M expander die on my single stage and that worked really well with lead cast. I've been slowly giving up on lead cast bullets for this reason and the fact I haven't been able to get them to shoot as consistently as jacketed, plus the smoke indoors with a .44 mag gets a little much. I do like the $$ savings with cast but I've yet to have good success with it so far, I haven't completely given up on them though.
Old January 5, 2014, 10:29 AM   #15
roc1

I would defintely call Dillon am tell them I think they will take care of you. Sounds like RCBS would be good alternate route . You might call Uniquetek they are great to work with Lee was very helpful he might have a better solution worth the call let me know how it turns out got me curious about solution
Roc1
Old January 5, 2014, 01:41 PM   #16
Mavrick79

Already called Dillon, their sending me new powder bars so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt right now, will keep you posted when they get here next week. I just want to be prepared if it doesn't work and still leaks, plus I like trying out different ways to skin a cat and see what I like.

I really do believe that Dillon needs to tighten up their tolerances on their PM, my RCBS rotary is very tight, no leaks, but still operates very smoothly, Dillon could do the same thing with theirs and they should. They make very nice equipment with the exception of this. Every Dillon I've seen at stores has a loose fitting powder bar so my expectations are not high at this point but still are giving them the benefit of the doubt for now.
Old February 25, 2014, 06:39 PM   #17
michaelnel

So, what happened with this? Did Dillon solve your problem?
Old February 28, 2014, 07:45 AM   #18
Mavrick79

I ended up getting new bars both thick and thin from Dillon, they are both .003 thicker and it does make it better in terms of less spillage out of the top of the bar so that part has been improved to an acceptable condition.

I do still have power that sprinkles on to the shell plate. the best I can tell is its trickling out of the powder funnel. Can someone tell me why the inside of the powder funnels are not smooth? I think powder is getting stuck on the ridges then falls down from vibration. There must be a reason why they don't make the inside of the funnel smooth. I would like to be able to get it smooth and polish it up but so far I haven't figured out how to do that. Any suggestions??

Last edited by Mavrick79; February 28, 2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: .
Old March 1, 2014, 09:45 AM   #19
roc1

You can take measure apart and polish it up to be smoother. Mine will leak powder on large bar loading rifle just bump it a little on downstroke to get all powder in works fine. They say you can put vibration device like aquarium pump on measure and make it work on small cases with extruded powders like 4064. Small rifle cases bridge no matter what measure you use nature of the beast long powder small opening . Try polishing measure Uniquetek says it works wonders I may later but I don't have problems on pistol only some rifle
Hope this helps
Roc1
Old March 1, 2014, 10:37 AM   #20
Mavrick79

I forgot to mention that I did polish the measure but the steel tube that is mounted to it is the part I am not able to polish or even smooth up and its very rough inside, almost looks like very shallow threads were purposely put there for some reason.

This is the steel tube that is pressed into the aluminum body of the powder measure, not the actual powder funnel/expander, sorry for the confusion.