The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 20, 2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Tokarev Czar

Tokarev TT-33 vs. Colt M1911 A1

If you were a soldier during WWII and you had no rifle, sub-machine gun etc. You only had a sidearm available, which hand gun would you have wanted : The Tokarev TT-33, or the M1911A1? Also, please explain your choice, I look forward to your answers.

Respectfully,

Tokarev Czar
Old March 20, 2012, 04:18 PM   #2
RickB

I'm a big fan of bullet mass in handguns, so it would be M1911A1 all the way. I'm also extremely familiar with the 1911 design, and don't know a whole lot about the Tokarev, beyond its working on Browning principles, and shooting a teeny, tiny bullet.
Old March 20, 2012, 06:16 PM   #3
pelo801

it shoots a tiny bullet, really fast. i'm a big fan of the 7.62 x 25, and i don't find the ergos of the tok to be too odd. but with that said, i am also a bigger fan of more bullet mass. so i would go with the .45
Old March 20, 2012, 06:22 PM   #4
jhenry

Let's look at it this way. One of those two designs is in current uninterrupted production. One of those designs is in current use by top tier law enforcement and special operations folks. One of those two designs is consistently in the winners circle in various shooting disciplines etc. and so forth.

Hint. It is not the Tokarev.

Success talks and wishful dreaming walks.

I have a nice Tok by the way, and it has some admirable attributes. A very reliable and fun gun. I would in no way take it over a 1911.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Auto426

I'd take the 1911 hands down. It's a more ergonomic platform and it actually has a safety that can be trusted.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:33 PM   #6
triumph666

1911 makes a bigger hole with more periphial damage than the quicker smaller bullet that punches the hole thru......

and to last poster i've never had a safety issues with my 1911 at all
Old March 20, 2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Tokarev Czar

1911 in .45 or 10mm

Now that we have decided on the 1911 platform, would you prefer it in .45 or 10mm?
Old March 20, 2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Winchester_73

why are these the only choices? What about a Colt Dragoon or a Grant Hammond? What if I wanted to carry a Webley Fosberry or a Gabbet-Fairfax Mars semi auto? You couldn't even provide the best possible choice, a borchardt with a shoulder stock which would double as a rifle. Geez man, you picked the two worst designs of the whole damn war!

Ok in all seriousness, I would pick the 1911. Proven man stopper cal + proven reliability, 2 safeties, tons of parts since so many were made, and ammo compatibility with the grease gun, reising SMG and tommy gun. While the tokarev was a good design its own right, IMO, its a far cry. IMO, the P38, and the FN hi power were better than the tokarev as was the Radom. I may even choose a S&W victory in 38 special over a Tokarev. The choice of small and fast vs big and slow is an easy one in this situation. While the Tokarev would win in penetration tests and perhaps offer a flatter trajectory, we are discussing guns that need to drop a man with certain reliability. For all of these reasons and probably a few more, it gotta be the 1911.
Old March 20, 2012, 08:34 PM   #9
Winchester_73

Quote:
Now that we have decided on the 1911 platform, would you prefer it in .45 or 10mm?
Well the 10mm has nothing to do with WWII so it really doesn't fit in with the original question. The 10mm in this situation to me would be like carrying a 44 magnum during WWII (had it been around). Its simply too much power for the given task. A 357 mag revolver, that makes some sense. A 40 S&W, once again, makes some sense. A 10mm? You might as well have a 41 magnum or something else outlandish. In close quarters, you don't need a round that can reach out and touch em from a pistol. When down to a pistol, the idea is to fight to get your rifle, then switch to the rifle. A sidearm is a secondary arm.
Old March 21, 2012, 06:27 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Definitely the .45 ACP.

The Tokarev was a neat variation on the Browning design, and had some really well thought out features, but the cartridge...

The Germans didn't call it the Russian Ice Pick for nothing.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 21, 2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Hardcase

I'd take the Tokarev if the enemy was wearing some kind of armor, but that's the only reason. Otherwise, like everyone else, the 1911.

The 7.62x25 round makes a long hole and the .45 makes a big hole. Oh, and I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable carrying the 1911 in condition 1.
Old March 21, 2012, 02:43 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

1911. Bigger bullet.
Old March 22, 2012, 09:31 AM   #13
shaunpain

My choice would depend fully on what ammunition was most available to me. I own both platforms and would prefer the 1911, but if I was Marine 1st Recon and sent behind enemy lines, I might prefer the TT because it can also take the Mauser 7.63. The armor of WWII was hardly sufficient against even handgun ammunition so of course the .45 is preferable. Both designs are similar, and the TT is taken down similarly. As in, they would both be a disadvantage to field strip expediently.
Old March 22, 2012, 12:24 PM   #14
BlueTrain

If you were an Allied soldier except for those from Eastern Europe that made it to Great Britain at the beginning of the war, you probably would never have heard of a Tokarev. In fact there were probably Soviet soldiers who wished they had that choice, since many revolvers were still in use.

Did you ever wonder why the Soviets replaced the Tokarev with the PM?
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 22, 2012, 12:59 PM   #15
shaunpain

Well, admittedly the Tokarev isn't safe to carry with a loaded chamber and safety-less, so it's not the optimum choice. A Makarov would even be a far better choice than the Tok, but I guess we can't go there since they weren't created yet. Either way, I certainly wouldn't feel undergunned with one. They make short work of a standard issue GI helmet in those days.
Old March 22, 2012, 03:42 PM   #16
dsk

Not only would I choose the M1911A1 during WW2 without question, but even today I'd still gladly use a straight GI 1911 for defense. It still gets the job done, even if it's no longer state of the art.
Old March 22, 2012, 04:31 PM   #17
Smit

Obviously the 1911. Go America!
Old April 2, 2012, 09:10 AM   #18
Wolf Hunter

Its an unjust for for a great 1911 to be compared with TT 30 Tokarev.Though TT was made basing on the mechanism of 1911 but TT can never beat 1911 in accuracy and in safety ( Carrying cocked and locked) TT have been proved to be weak in accuracy too so comparing these two handguns is not justified.
Old April 2, 2012, 09:19 AM   #19
RedBowTies88

"Well, admittedly the Tokarev isn't safe to carry with a loaded chamber and safety-less, so it's not the optimum choice. A Makarov would even be a far better choice than the Tok, but I guess we can't go there since they weren't created yet. Either way, I certainly wouldn't feel undergunned with one. They make short work of a standard issue GI helmet in those days."

This is not true, the original tokarev half cock saftey is very very reliable. Just not the BS they added on for import.

I would take the Tok. Call me crazy but I love the 7.62x25. That round specially with modern hollow point ammo can do some very nasty stuff inside soft tissue.

Not to mention with FMJ's many types of body armor will meet their demise. Also seeing as this is a handgun only war I'd place a bet that the maximum effective range of the 7.62x25 to be siginificantly greater then .45acp. It's always nice to touch the enemy from where he cannot touch you back.

On another note, something I find funny on the ewebbs (not necessarily in this thread) is that the same people who tote that .45 fat, slow, and heavy is the only way to go for combat pistol round are the same people who think 5.56 is worlds ahead of 7.62x39. Basically applying opposite logic.
Old April 2, 2012, 09:25 AM   #20
SPEMack618

Well, there is pretty significant difference in a small, fast bullet in regards to a rifle round versuses a small fast bullet in a pistol round.

Jeff Cooper wrote, and I whole heartedly agree with this, that the rifle is an offensive instrument, that one uses when the likelihood of a shooting will be high and shot placement is important. A pistol however, is a defensive instrument and is carried "just in case." I want a pistol round that is going to reliably stop a fight soonest. The .45 ACP has a pretty good track record of that.
Old April 2, 2012, 09:32 AM   #21
RedBowTies88

I agree and don't doubt the fight ending record of the .45acp. However in this instance we are talking about an OFFENSIVE weapon. At least in the scenario brought about by the OP
Old April 2, 2012, 09:33 AM   #22
SPEMack618

Well, I suppose that if you are going into a fight with a pistol as your offensive weapon, you've already screwed up, so going with an arachic Russian round probably won't matter all that much.
Old April 2, 2012, 11:51 AM   #23
BlueTrain

As opposed to something chambered in the modern .45 ACP?
Buy War Bonds.
Old April 2, 2012, 01:55 PM   #24
SPEMack618

Touche, BlueTrain.

Perhaps enemic would have been a better choice? Or obsolete?
Old April 2, 2012, 02:08 PM   #25
RedBowTies88

.45acp dates to 1904

7.62x25 dates to 1930 from everything I can dig up.

the tokarev also produced more muzzle energy on average then the .45