The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 28, 2010, 12:11 AM   #51
mathman

Quote:
If you have no knowledge there are issues - as dictated by sales - then why do anything differently?
This is why the internet is a good thing...although there is a lot of misinformation and exaggerated claims (due to frustration), it does at least get the word out that there may be an issue. So, maybe those sales will finally slow down and Remington will improve their quality.
Old April 28, 2010, 08:27 AM   #52
slowr1der

I think more of these have this issue than people think they do. Most just don't send it in for warranty repair. I know 3 guys that have had newer 870 Expresses and 2 have had this issue. I don't know anyone that has sent their gun into Remington for warranty repair. Every time you call they tell you how it will take some super long time for you to get it back. Most people don't want to deal with this which is why Remington probably doesn't get a ton of them in for repair. People I personally know have either just sold the guns or gotten a local gunsmith to repair the problem.
Old April 28, 2010, 08:29 AM   #53
MAX100

Quote:
although there is a lot of misinformation and exaggerated claims (due to frustration), it does at least get the word out that there may be an issue.
Did you say Maybe a issue? With all of the different shotguns on market, and there are many, the only post you ever see is someone having a problem with shells sticking in the chamber of an 870. The jury is not out, it's a fact and Remington needs to get their act together. Some 870s have a chamber problem and some don't..

It does happen in other shotguns but it's very rare.

GC
Old April 28, 2010, 08:41 AM   #54
jmortimer

The 870 Zombies have a vested interest in pretending that there are no problems with current production 870 express. "The Emperor has clothes" but let's play pretend. Like someone said above, I'd feel bad for the guy who bought a new 870 express - not "into guns" - and want to protect his family and then it jams when he needs it most and then disaster.
Old April 28, 2010, 11:08 AM   #55
mathman

Quote:
Did you say Maybe a issue?
I mean that from the viewpoint of a casual internet observer. I KNOW there is an issue since I have had two 870s with this problem.
Old April 28, 2010, 11:13 AM   #56
Wildalaska

Quote:
The 870 Zombies have a vested interest in pretending that there are no problems with current production 870 express.

This particular 870 zombie undoubtedly has handled, seen, serviced and shot more 870s in the past year than you will ever see if you live to be 110.

There is no overall QC problem with Remington, especially the 870...with the 710/770 caveat. In fact their QC has IMPROVED.

WildlooktootherthingstovalidateyourlifethanbashingremingtonAlaska TM
Old April 28, 2010, 12:03 PM   #57
MAX100

Quote:
This particular 870 zombie undoubtedly has handled, seen, serviced and shot more 870s in the past year than you will ever see if you live to be 110.

There is no overall QC problem with Remington, especially the 870...with the 710/770 caveat. In fact their QC has IMPROVED.
Are you saying you have never have serviced an 870 for shells sticking in the chamber?

I have sold 870s for 8 years and have had to polish quite a few 870 chambers for customers.

AI&P Tactical has a DIY video on how to polish an 870 chamber on his website, if anyone needs it. He recognizes it's a common problem.

J.D. McGuire, Owner
AI&P Tactical, LLC
www.aiptactical.com
Remington Factory Certified
Law Enforcement Armorer

GC
Old April 28, 2010, 12:11 PM   #58
rc601962

Wildmustbeonthepayrollofremingtonalaska or Wildisreallybagdadbobalaska.
Old April 28, 2010, 12:12 PM   #59
rantingredneck

Quote:
With all of the different shotguns on market, and there are many, the only post you ever see is someone having a problem with shells sticking in the chamber of an 870.
Actually, I've seen more Mossbergs have this problem than I have 870's. In my circle of hunting friends and family there several 835's and 500's. 3 out of 4 of the 835's have this issue. Mine is the only one that hasn't done it at least once.

I did have one 870 barrel a couple years ago that was persnickety about ejecting Brenneke slug hulls. No other ammo but Brenneke. A good chamber scrub with a chucked brush took care of it.

It happens with other shotguns too, is my point I suppose........

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old April 28, 2010, 12:14 PM   #60
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
There is no overall QC problem with Remington
Wild,

Please explain this... If there is no overall QC problem at Remington.. How in the world did I buy two new Wingmasters, that did not function?? Not expresses, wingmasters!!! Then add my 700 CDL horror story to that equation.. What are the odds that one person buying 3 guns, each purchased three months apart would end up with three lemons???????? Without there being an overall QC problem?????
Old April 28, 2010, 12:46 PM   #61
dgludwig

Quote:
Wildisreallybagdadbobalaska.
Now that's funny! When bombs are bursting in air, know-it-all ostriches can always find cover-right at their feet.
Old April 28, 2010, 01:43 PM   #62
rbernie

Quote:
I don't get why people continue to purchase Remingtons. They aren't going to care as long as their sales don't slow down
I can tell you exactly why I recently bought yet another 870 Express. Every pump shotgun that I evaluated under $300 had its flaws. The question to me was which shotgun would prove to be the most satisfying AFTER I remediated whatever inherent flaws it carried. In the end, the 870 Express gave me a better gun for my needs than the other options; solid, reliable, points well for me, and the cheapest to get it to a point where I'd consider it 'do-all'.

Remington makes their cost targets by taking a certain design and manufacturing approach, Mossy makes their cost targets by taking different approachs to pump gun design and manufacture, Benelli takes yet a different approch, and so forth. Each of us get to decide which cost shortcuts are least obtrusive or easiest to fix, and I will never understand why that analysis seems to cause so much angst.....

Last edited by rbernie; April 28, 2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old April 28, 2010, 01:48 PM   #63
Lavid2002

Take a 12 ga brush....embed some 0000 steel wool into it. Maybe some flitz if your feeling antsy.... Hook it up to a segment of a cleaning rod and pop that motha' into a drill. Polish the chamber a bit and clean it up.

It will fix itself....If you get a stuck shell simply put one hand on the pump, and another on the action. SLAM the butt of the gun on the ground (Preferably on wood) with a considerable amount of force on the pump.... and the shell will pop right out.

Its called a stock slam. : D
Old April 28, 2010, 02:14 PM   #64
Wildalaska

Quote:
Are you saying you have never have serviced an 870 for shells sticking in the chamber?
Yep...we have...under warranty, virtually every one was a dealer/distributor storage issue. As an amourer selling your videos, you are aware of storage issues arent you?

And you are aware of the sizing problems with cheap ammo arent you?

Quote:
Wildmustbeonthepayrollofremingtonalaska or Wildisreallybagdadbobalaska.
Newbies should read the rules. If the best you can do is childish ad hominems, bet your time here gets limited

Quote:
If there is no overall QC problem at Remington.. How in the world did I buy two new Wingmasters, that did not function?? Not expresses, wingmasters!!! Then add my 700 CDL horror story to that equation.. What are the odds that one person buying 3 guns, each purchased three months apart would end up with three lemons????????
Where did you buy them. What was the problem with your CDL?

Quote:
Now that's funny! When bombs are bursting in air, know-it-all ostriches can always find cover-right at their feet.
Is it? I see I have dissed the bashingwoobie

WildithinkitstimetoupdatemyignorelistagainAlaska ™
Old April 28, 2010, 03:01 PM   #65
MAX100

Quote:
Yep...we have...under warranty, virtually every one was a dealer/distributor storage issue. As an amourer selling your videos, you are aware of storage issues arent you?

And you are aware of the sizing problems with cheap ammo arent you?
Not my Website and it's a free video. I am aware that polishing alone doesn't always clear the problem up. Sometimes the chamber has to be opened up a few thousands with a hone to fix the problem. I believe Remington isn't changing out out their tooling, chamber reamers, as often as they should to save on tooling cost.

If the shells alone were the problem all 870s and all shotguns would have problems with them and no one would buy them.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; April 28, 2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old April 28, 2010, 03:14 PM   #66
Regolith

Quote:
If the shells alone were the problem all 870s and all shotguns would have problems with them and no one would buy them.
I stopped buying cheap Winchester shells because I damn near had to force them to fit in the chamber of an old Stevens 311. If they won't fit in a 60 year old side by side, I have no doubt they'd have caused FTEs in a repeater.

My guess is that the people who still buy them have similarly out-of-spec chambers, or are unfortunate first time buyers.
Old April 28, 2010, 03:30 PM   #67
mathman

Quote:
What are the odds that one person buying 3 guns, each purchased three months apart would end up with three lemons???????? Without there being an overall QC problem?????
Unless there is a storage problem, mathematically this probability would be close to zero without some sort of QC problem.

Wildalaska is not on Remington's payroll...he knows a lot about guns. The fact that anyone would even suggest this shows that they are a newbie without even looking at the number of posts.

However, if there is not a QC issue, then I there must be a lot of guns sitting in storage. Just sayin'!!
Old April 28, 2010, 05:00 PM   #68
rc601962

I did my research BEFORE I bought my Remington 870 Express. I found an abundance of people that had the extraction problem. The problem is overwhelming and ubiquitous.

I considered my purchase of a new Remington 870 Express to be like buying a partially completed kit.

I received the gun and after a thorough cleaning, guess what? Extraction problems. I took the gun to a Remington warranty service center and I should get it back in about a week.

Alaska is about as wrong as a human being could possibly be. The problem is there and the problem is widespread. Alaska should just man-up and admit it.
Old April 28, 2010, 05:15 PM   #69
nefprotector

870 clones

I have a NEF Protector 12 ga pump action shotgun. I had nothing but good words for it until I cleaned it. Yes I said "cleaned it". I cleaned the thing with Winchester Breakfree powder cleaner; lubed it up with Break Free. Then it started jamming the 4th and 5th shots. I took the thing apart and to my amazement the Magazine follower was melted.(caused by the cleaner) It was kind of waxy feeling. I have never in my life seen such a mess in a shotgun; and this was in the magazine tube. I ordered a NEW Remington follower and Wolff springs. I will keep you posted.

ps
Have any of you 870 owners had this problems?
Old April 28, 2010, 05:21 PM   #70
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A couple things from a long time 870 fan but no zombie....

Ammo/shotgun imcompatibilites have long existed. My oldest WM used to glitch on one brand of goose loads back in the 60s. Solution, use the wonderful Western loads of the day.

At this time, two of my favorite WMs will choke on ejecting Gun Clubs. No other ammo I use causes this problem. SO, I do not use GCs in those shotguns.

Since I clean those barrels with 4/0 steel wool wrapped around a dowel and chucked up in a drill, we can assume the chambers are polished.

These WMs were made in 1955 and 1973, so it's not a recent QC problem. One barrel was an Express bought around 1985, the other is original to the 1955 WM.

Newer LC barrels(Post 2000) used on both still have the issues. None with other ammo. Those GCs work OK in my Beretta O/U, BTW.

As I see it, the problems folks have with newer Expresses fall into a couple groups.

Here they are, along with solutions....

Failure to remove the preservatives as the manual requires. Doing so eliminates a lot of stickiness.

Failure to select good ammo. Obvious solution, use better fodder.AND SHOOT A GOOD BIT OF IT BEFORE TRUSTING YOUR LIFE AND THAT OF YOUR FAMILY'S TO IT OR ANY OTHER WEAPON.

Failure to rack with authority. Back when the state paid me to teach folks to shoot 870s, I noted that most hangups related to baby stroking the pump. Those that did it hard had few troubles.

And finally, there's the unavoidable fact that some folks just are not very bright and also hate to admit they know little about shotguns. So, they have problems and it HAS to be the gun's fault, not the fact that they cannot cross the street on the green light.

After all, all us US males just naturally are great lovers, shooters, drivers and fighters, right?...
Old April 28, 2010, 05:29 PM   #71
Sarge

NEFProtector,

The 870 Express shotguns use a little plastic follower as well. I don't know if their plastic is susceptible to chemical degradation, like your NEF did.

I gut them and replace the factory Express follower with something more substantial. I usually iron out the magazine tube detents, install a magazine extension and follow with a Wilson spring and heavy-duty follower. That one is plastic too, but at least it's solid and lots heavier than the little Express plug.

I'm seeing too many posts on various gun boards, regarding problems with the later Express shotguns, for me to believe it's anything other than the predictable result of cheapening a product too much. I personally wouldn't have a new one, or a used one after the change to plastic trigger guards. There are simply too many serviceable, older guns available in the 'used' market.

It ain't just 870's I feel that way about, either.

*Just caught your post, Dave...I'll agree with you on the last line, anyhow

Seriously, I've never had an ammo compatibility problem with any 870; Police, Express or otherwise. Had a couple of Mossberg 500's for the kids, over the years, which flat did NOT like Federal from Wally World.
Old April 28, 2010, 05:42 PM   #72
Wildalaska

Quote:
I did my research BEFORE I bought my Remington 870 Express. I found an abundance of people that had the extraction problem. The problem is overwhelming and ubiquitous.
Yeah, I see it all the time...in fact of the last 50 we have sold none have come back.

And we are the remington service center, remember?

Oh wait, according to the net its overwhelming

Quote:
Alaska is about as wrong as a human being could possibly be. The problem is there and the problem is widespread. Alaska should just man-up and admit it.
Or perhaps, in your case, operator error?

Read DaveMc's last post.

WildimquirecomfortableinmymanlinessAlaska ™
Old April 28, 2010, 07:26 PM   #73
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Where did you buy them. What was the problem with your CDL?
A friend of mine owns a local full line dealership... I buy from him..

CDL Problem:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368799
Old April 28, 2010, 07:45 PM   #74
rc601962

Not an operator problem.

They may not want to send it to you because they don't trust you.

WildgoogleisyourfriendopenyoureyesAlaska

http://www.google.com/search?safe=ac...ient=firefox-a

P.S. For every one post there are probably hundreds of people who didn't post.

Last edited by rc601962; April 28, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old April 29, 2010, 10:29 AM   #75
rantingredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefprotector
Winchester Breakfree powder cleaner
Therein lies the problem with the melty plastic. If you'll read the label closely I bet it warns against exposure to plastic parts/polymer frames/synthetic stocks and the like???

The Breakfree Powderblast you are using (now re-badged and sold in WalMart under the Winchester name) is forumlated to remove carbon and powder fouling along with plastic wadding residue from shotgun barrels. It's designed to melt plastic........

Switch to Birchwood Casey's Gunscrubber, synthetic safe version if you want an aerosol spray cleaner. Or be more careful with the Breakfree and keep it away from plastic parts.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)