The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 11, 2018, 01:04 PM   #1
rebs

scope ring lapping ?

How important is scope ring lapping ? I have never done it and never had a problem. Curious how many of you guys do it ?
Old October 11, 2018, 02:11 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

If fifty years of mounting scopes I had to do it once. The receiver wasn't drilled quite right on a Browning/Miroku Low Wall I had and the rings didn't line up. Lots of guys do it on every scope they mount. I've never damaged a scope by not doing it. If the scope doesn't sit in the bottom half the rings there's a problem. I don't think it ever hurts to do it if that helps.
Old October 11, 2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Capt Rick Hiott

,,,,just buy DNZ scope rings.
Old October 12, 2018, 08:18 AM   #4
HiBC

It depends.

First ...If you DO lap,your lapping bar should be slightly undersize to the nominal ring dia. I use .005 undersize ground stock for SwissTurn machines.

The reason is,whatever grit size you use adds to the effective cutting diameter of the bar. .005 is pretty good for 320 grit.

I'm sure methods have changed since the 70's,but I was given a tour of a very popular Colorado based scope manufacturer's facility as I was considering their Toolmaker position.

Their one piece bases were being "precision machined" by women holding mill finish blanks of bar stock against a belt sander with their fingers.

I've looked at name brand scope bases where my eyes could see the contour cut to sit on the receiver ring was out of parallel with the top of the base.

The mounting surfaces of any milsurp or reblue are suspect.

Why do people true and blueprint Rem 700's,etc? They are made from straight tubing,yes? They warp in heat treat.

Is it necessary? Assuming its right does not make it right.

You find out with a few strokes of the lapping bar over the lower saddles.

If you get an even cut over the finish,you are good.

If I'm building a rifle,I set the receiver up on a surface plate and use an indicator to make sure the bases are straight and level.If they aren't,I recut them.

Myself,I don't pay the big bucks for a precision optic,built to tolerances in the tenths of thousandths to distort the tube clamping misaligned rings down on it.

FWIW,if you do flex the tube,it will probably occur in the turret/reticle area.

Might flexing be the source of adjustment and zero problems? Hmmm.

I float the lapping bar in the saddles so I know what I have.I don't guess or assume

Last edited by HiBC; October 12, 2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old October 13, 2018, 06:13 PM   #5
cw308

I have read articles and watched videos on lapping rings , I buy high quality rings Ken Farrell , no need to lap , when you have 100% contact on your rings and torqued properly your scope will stay positioned . With lapping you have to be careful not to remove too much material or your scope will constantly shift. I would suggest get a good set of rings with no need to lap. May cost more but makes live easier.
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

As HiBC pointed out, it isn't just how well the rings are made, but whether or not the base and mounting points are true. Heat treating does warp the receiver a little, so if the bases are mounted to tapped holes in the receiver, there's bound to be a little misalignment of even perfect rings. Not the rings' fault. Lapping them then trues them to that receiver.

For that matter, if you have rails mounted on your receiver, you can bet nobody scraped those true to a surface plate, either, and that if they are screwed tightly to out-of-true points on the receiver, they will be slightly bent by that, too.

I'll move this thread to the gunsmithing forum for you.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM   #7
Nathan

As an aside....how do you lap vertical split rings?
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #8
MarkCO

If you buy quality parts, something you will never have to even think about.