The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 3, 2018, 11:15 AM   #26
Vulcannut

As an update I did pick up the replacement GP100 yesterday. The replacement unit looks really good. No visual issues with it. The barrel is centered and not cantted. The lockup is tight. It's everything I would expect from a new gun so A+ to Ruger.

After checking it out and doing the paperwork I did sneak in the range and put 50 rounds through it. I was a little short on time as I also had another gun that I picked up last weekend that I wanted to run a few through it. The GP100 in 22LR is going to be a fun one. No recoil and seems really accurate. The SA is really good. The DA is smooth but stout as expected. I don't plan on changing any of it.

This weekend I plan on putting several hundred rounds through it. If all goes well, which I expect, I'll do a little range review on it.
Old October 3, 2018, 11:46 AM   #27
ds-10-speed

Glad to here it is a nice gun. Just curious, how do they handle swapping out the gun? Do you have a new serial number and have to re-register the gun?
Old October 3, 2018, 05:08 PM   #28
Vulcannut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds-10-speed View Post
Glad to here it is a nice gun. Just curious, how do they handle swapping out the gun? Do you have a new serial number and have to re-register the gun?
Yep new gun with new serial number. The gun had to be shipped to my FFL and I had to fill out both Federal and State paperwork. The dealer has to also file it with the state stating the old gun has been destroyed.

Not sure if some would charge a transfer fee but as I purchased the gun from this dealer and as I am a charter range member I get free transfers from them. So it never came up.
Old October 4, 2018, 10:38 AM   #29
DaleA

Thanks for keeping us updated on this. Looking forward to your range report.

As I mentioned before I've always had a desire for an S&W 617 (10 shot) but the Ruger GP100 might just scratch that itch and SAVE me some scratch.

Good luck.