The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 20, 2018, 01:24 PM   #1
625TC

Gov't Shutdown

I am wondering if the Government shuts down for a while what effect it will have on NICS ?
Old January 20, 2018, 01:31 PM   #2
shootniron

Probably nothing.
Old January 20, 2018, 04:38 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I thought the last shutdown resulted in NICS being shut down. When the .gov has no funding, only "essential" personnel are required to report to work, everyone else is furloughed. I doubt NICS is considered an essential function.
Old January 20, 2018, 05:05 PM   #4
Theohazard

I worked at an FFL/SOT during the last shutdown, and I work at a different one now. These shutdowns don’t affect NICS, but they do affect NFA paperwork.
Old January 20, 2018, 05:12 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

I'll leave this open for now, but let's all bear in mind that all posts need to be "firearms related" in some way.
Old January 20, 2018, 05:25 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

The "government" shuts down every weekend and most holidays. Nobody freaks out.

Essential services and personnel, DON'T "shut down". Might have some effect on certain paperwork, but in general the whole "we's all gonna die cuz the gov shut down" is all a bunch of manure.

Unless I'm mistaken, most of what the gov does isn't required by law. It's allowed, funded, authorized, and promoted, but not required. Things that are required get funded, gov's bills get paid, checks written, etc, because its a violation of law not to, as long as there is any money at all.

I would think that the background check required by law is one of those things.
The system can "break", it can be "overloaded", it can be "backlogged", but I don't think its allowed to be "shutdown".

The political types will say all kinds of stuff. Most of it isn't real.

Were one party really smart, they'd be shouting gun sales must be suspended, because the other party "shut down" the govt.

DO you hear them????

crickets....

I don't.
Old January 21, 2018, 11:03 AM   #7
ocharry

what 44 said ^^^^^

ocharry
Old January 21, 2018, 03:45 PM   #8
t4terrific

The President has a lot of control over which services are offered. If prez wants the people to feel the pain (Obama wanted America ti blame a “Do Nothing” Republican Congress), then he will do things to make the people feel it.

Trump wants to show the world that he handles the shutdown better than O, so he will likely do what he can to make sure people that may support him will feel less impact than they did in the Obama era shutdown.
Old January 21, 2018, 07:15 PM   #9
jersurf101

The longer it goes on, the more likely it affects NICS. Jmho
Old January 21, 2018, 09:21 PM   #10
dogtown tom

Quote:
Aguila Blanca I thought the last shutdown resulted in NICS being shut down. When the .gov has no funding, only "essential" personnel are required to report to work, everyone else is furloughed. I doubt NICS is considered an essential function.
Wrong. FBI NICS continues to operate normally during shutdowns and always has.

Quote:
jersurf101 The longer it goes on, the more likely it affects NICS. Jmho
Unlikely.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 22, 2018, 09:13 PM   #11
KyJim

The shutdown is over so I guess the speculation about NICS being affected is over, too.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...hutdown-fight/
Old January 25, 2018, 07:02 AM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim
The shutdown is over so I guess the speculation about NICS being affected is over, too.
An excellent point, KyJim.