The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 18, 2001, 11:21 PM   #1
DeBee

FN Mauser Ejector Box Takedown?

I am trying to resurrect a commercial FN Mauser .270 which has seen some neglect.

Mechanically, it's good but really cruddy with some type of mildly corrossive rust/grease/dirt combination in every crevice.

I've managed to strip it to springs and pins but I cannot seem to get the ejector box and ejector spring to separate and it is full of the crud and needs to be polished...

Does anyone have a trick to separating these two parts?
Old December 19, 2001, 07:23 AM   #2
4 Eyed Six Shooter

DeBee,
Clean it as much as possible, then soak it in Kroil for a day. I put in in a vise with leather covering the jaws, facing me from the side of the vise, in a verticle position. If it is too tight in will hamper removal of the spring, not tight enough and you know what happens. Finally using a hammer and brass punch, beat on it until it the spring moves. after it has moved foreward a little it will spring back into the body of the bolt release. You must push outward and beat on it somemore to get it out. Use only a soft punch or you will mar the spring.
They can be a S.O.B. sometimes, but they do all come out.
Good luck and happy holidays-John K
Old December 20, 2001, 11:44 AM   #3
DeBee

Thanks! That worked like a charm...

I forgot the old trick- beat the hell out of it. Moved exactly as you said...

Lots of crud there too. I'll polish it tonight...
Old December 20, 2001, 06:30 PM   #4
4 Eyed Six Shooter

DeBee,
I'm glad it worked for you. Before becoming a gunsmith myself, I used to ask my gunsmith if I could watch him work. He always said no. He said that customers get too upset when the see him beat on their prized firearms. It is always better if you can remove a part without smacking the heck out of it, but sometimes you just got to do what you've got to do. Just remember, there is an art to beating on guns. It is easy to damage the firearm if you go too far or use the wrong beatin stick.
Good Shooting and Happy Holidays-John K