The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 28, 2013, 05:41 PM   #26
ThomasT

I want a Henry 22 mag myself. And I want the blued one. I just can't seem to find one in stock. And whatever claims they make don't bother me at all. I am glad to hear they lost the plastic parts too.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:55 PM   #27
Deja vu

I am more concerned with the lack of a loading gate than any thing else.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 28, 2013, 11:51 PM   #28
tonymazz

The first Henry rifle went up for public sale July 1, 1862. It was a .44 caliber ball, rimmfire ...just an FYI
Old January 29, 2013, 12:32 AM   #29
DPris
Member Emeritus

And, Lou Imperato passed on a while back. It's all Anthony's ballgame now.
Denis
Old January 29, 2013, 09:19 AM   #30
PetahW

I agree with Mike - get over it.

If everyone thought like the OP, then almost nobody would be buying guns.

Even Browning hasn't actually made their own guns, since 1885 or so.

AFAIK, the last men standing are at Colt, Ruger, Savage & S&W.

Old January 29, 2013, 03:03 PM   #31
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Quote: The zinc receiver doesn't really bother me much considering what I payed for the rifle, but the paint they put on the receiver sucks. I stripped it off and brushed the receiver which looks a whole lot better.
Dragline45, I agree about the painted receiver cover. If possible I would like to see a picture of the receiver cover you stripped and brushed.

I bought my oldest granson a Henry 22 for Christmas about 12 years back when he was 6 years old.
I would hate to count how many bricks of 22 shells that's been shot through that little rifle, I think most of them came from my ammo stock pile.

I have a new 17HMR with hex barrel in inventory in the shop, it's a nice looking little rifle.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 29, 2013, 03:43 PM   #32
eldermike

I wonder, would they sell a brass cover or is it something that has to be fitted?
Old January 29, 2013, 03:48 PM   #33
Jack O'Conner

Henry's lever action 22 rifle was designed by IRMA of Germany back in the late 1960's. It is NOT a Henry design at all. Yet this is a great rifle and worth every penny.

Jack
Old January 29, 2013, 04:54 PM   #34
ThomasT

I wondered if anyone was going to mention the Erma connection to the Henry Rifles. IIRC Erma also had a lever action that was a single shot. It just looked like a repeater.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:40 PM   #35
Shotgun693

Maybe their quality has improved I've been a CAS Shooter since 1997, finally last year in about November I saw a Henry Big Boy actually get through a match without a major failure, one that would keep it from finishing the Stage. They make great guns for those that don't shoot much, like to continuously work on their guns and don't care if they can actually fire 10 rounds in sequence. They bear no relationship to any gun made in the Old West. They spend $1million on advertizing to get SASS to approve the gun for SASS matches.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:59 PM   #36
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter

IIRC Erma also had a lever action that was a single shot. It just looked like a repeater.
Not AFAIK - methinks you're misremembering the Ithaca 49, cum Stevens 89, cum Agawam Arms 68 (all samey-same Martini-type single shot .22's) as being an Erma, like the Ithaca Model 72 lever action repeater was..

Old January 29, 2013, 06:28 PM   #37
Hawg

Quote:
If everyone thought like the OP, then almost nobody would be buying guns.
I dunno. I feel the same way about them playing off the original Henry name but I do own a Golden Boy and its a fantastic rifle.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:12 PM   #38
Mezzanine

Quote:
How much do ads influence a gun buyer? Not much IMO. I'd be upset if they were misleading regarding where they manufacture.
I buy Remingtons entirely because of Brett Favre's endorsement. My wardrobe is entirely Wrangler jeans also. /sarcasm
Old January 29, 2013, 07:16 PM   #39
jason_iowa

Yep, keeps me from buying one.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:50 PM   #40
Dragline45

Quote:
Dragline45, I agree about the painted receiver cover. If possible I would like to see a picture of the receiver cover you stripped and brushed.
I cant find any of the photos I have of the Henry and all I have currently is a crappy cell phone camera, but here's a photo of another Henry with a stripped receiver. Henry no longer uses plastic barrel bands or front sights anymore so if you got the old plastic ones call them up and they should send you a replacement, that way you can match the barrel band to the receiver. Bead or sand blasting might be a good alternative to brushing.

Just one thing, if you don't wipe off your fingerprints on the receiver it will leave them behind since it is zinc. Easy enough to clean up but a coat of lacquer should solve the problem.

Old January 29, 2013, 07:59 PM   #41
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yep, both Henry and Springfield Armory are trading on names they really have no right to, and Remington never made the M1911A1 pistol, only the M1911. But none is as bad as Mitchell's Mausers, which just plain lies.

Jim
Old January 29, 2013, 09:31 PM   #42
ThomasT

Quote:
Not AFAIK - methinks you're misremembering the Ithaca 49, cum Stevens 89, cum Agawam Arms 68 (all samey-same Martini-type single shot .22's) as being an Erma, like the Ithaca Model 72 lever action repeater was..
Petahw you da man. You are correct. Its been a long time since i even thought about that rifle. I have never seen one in person. Thats a good looking rifle.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:03 PM   #43
Win73

Honesty in advertising? There has always been a lot of at least very exagerated claims in almost all advertising. I have an old trunk that was passed down to me containing all sorts of papers including magazines and such that date back to the 1800's. Many of the claims in the advertising were totally outrageous. Even today's commercials and advertising for just about any product strains a thinking person's believability.

If you only bought products which were advertised totally and strictly honestly, you wouldn't be able to buy much. When was the last time you saw or heard an advertisement that said, "Our product is only as good as everybody else's."
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:12 PM   #44
Niantician

Given the fact that they're trying to make firearms in NYC. I'll give them a pass.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 30, 2013, 01:31 AM   #45
DPris
Member Emeritus

They've been out of NY for a while now.
Denis
Old January 30, 2013, 06:03 AM   #46
MarkDozier

Me thinks it is time to call Henry.

Question - which will come first: honesty in advertising or honesty in the current government?
Old January 30, 2013, 09:30 AM   #47
twobit

There have been numerous times when I was talking lever guns with friends, mostly about my Rossi 92 and my real 118 year old Winchester 92. They would bring up the modern Henry and mention that it has been around since the Civil War and that it was so cool that they were still in business. I would explain to them that both the old Henry company and the Volcantic Arms company were swallowed by Winchester, and that the current Henry company had nothing to do with the old Henry company. Reactions to this news was almost always "That ain't right to fool people like that".
Seems like many, many people believe that the old Henry company is the modern one. Aside from that, they so seem to have some good guns. I do not own one though.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:54 AM   #48
Hunter Customs

Dragline45,

Thanks for the picture.
I like the looks of the receiver and barrel band contrasting with the blue parts.
It sure looks much better then the paint in my opinion.

I'm a big fan of duo-tone 1911's (blue upper silver lower) and I have a strong dislike for paint on guns, so that helps influence my opinion of your rifle.

Now as for Henry lying, it would most likely be better if they were more honest in their advertising.
That being said I believe they have some nice rifles.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 30, 2013, 11:22 AM   #49
bazookajeff89

I don't know about too much, but after an hour or so worth of looking up reviews, other than people complaining about their older models, the AR-7 at least seems to impress most people
Old January 30, 2013, 11:28 AM   #50
dos0711

I have two Henry rifles and they are very smooth, very accurate rifles. Made completely in the USA.