The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 6, 2013, 12:17 AM   #1
siloshooter

wolf ammo ... how ....

dirty is it ? never shot any thru my stag arms ar15 yet BUT i did buy 30 bxs. , yes 600 rds . , from a friend at work for ...get ready for this , $115 !

couldnt pass it up for that price
Old January 6, 2013, 12:54 AM   #2
bustersmaster

I'm not an expert on ammo, but I use some wolf brand 7.62 in my AK and it works just fine. Then again, I guess you can run most anything through an AK. I can't say that I've noticed any difference in how dirty it is.
Old January 6, 2013, 02:28 AM   #3
Hairbag

I ran some through my sks last week and it is dirty ammo. The sliver bear and golden bear has been the cleanest stuff I've used so far
Old January 6, 2013, 06:07 AM   #4
bacardisteve

Its dirty but for plinking ammo who cares just clean your gun afterwards.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Marquezj16

^^^yup^^^

At that price, it would be hard to pass up.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:37 AM   #6
FairWarning

Wolf ammo is fine for commie guns, although I wouldn't run it in an AR personally.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:21 AM   #7
slammedsi

Over 3500 rounds of wolf through my smith ar. Not one single problem. If I remember correctly its only had one good cleaning during that time line. While it might not be the cleanest it sure is cheep and great for plinking. Bought 3000 rounds of wolf 55gr fmj 660 out the door from a local lumber shop.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Uncle Malice

I don't mind Wolf ammo, especially in my AK.. I don't run it in my Daniel Defense AR, only because it doesn't run reliably in it. That thing has been 100% with absolutely every other type of ammo.

I've heard that this is just because Wolf is so weakly loaded that it just doesn't cycle properly, since DD and BCM's do not over gas their rifles the way most other manu's do. I don't know if this is a fact or not... but it seems to coincide with my experience. My buddies AR runs the Wolf with zero issues...

I don't really mind, one way or the other... but I've got about 800 rounds of Wolf that I can't do anything with. I've considered trading it... but I'm also thinking about picking up a bolt action in .223 as well, so maybe I'll just save it for that.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:19 AM   #9
TomL

Wolf Ammo

I have used Wolf with no problems but, I did not shoot more than 30-50 rounds per session and cleaned the chamber with a brush designed for the AR's and a top quality solvent extensivley after wards. What I did learn too was the early made Wolf because the cases are steel had a shellac or varnish coating on the cases, which after the chamber reached high temps this coating would melt off the cases and gum up the action/chamber thereby causing feed/extraction issues. I do beleve that coating was changed or eliminated in later production runs of the ammo. Also some AR's/clones have tighter chamber tolerances that can be a factor. Tom L
Old January 7, 2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Skans

I don't know if Wolf ammo is actually "dirtier" than other ammo. What I do know as that it might not seal off the chamber quite as well as brass ammo, permitting more carbon, gas etc. to enter the chamber. It is not corrosive. I have fired Wolf .223 in an AC-556 with no problems. I have also fired it in a Professional Ordnance Carbon-15 pistol, and after a couple of magazines, the gun will start to malfunction. When I clean the gun and re-lubricate it, it works fine again with Wolf. In an AK, I have no problem shooting Wolf. I have also used it extensively in several of my 9mm's - no problem. Even my STI 2011 .45 did ok with it.

My conclusion is that it will gunk up your gun faster than higher quality ammo. Whatever, it's cheap to shoot and I have plenty of spray cleaner and oil.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:10 AM   #11
Bartholomew Roberts

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

The above link has a picture of 4 AR15 lowers after they have seen 10,000 rounds of Wolf, Tula, Brown Bear and Federal respectively. You can compare and decide how dirty you think it is.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Northslope Nimrod

Shot about 80 rounds of silver bear on a recent rabbit hunt. (I did most of my shooting with pistols that trip). It was only 80 rounds but when I cleaned it I could hardly tell it had been shot. But that was with my AR. I think I've found that my 9mm russian stuff is a little dirtier.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Fishbed77

Quote:
600 rds . , from a friend at work for ...get ready for this , $115
I nabbed 500 rounds of MFS (Silver Bear) from PSA before they went out of stock for $150. Though I was doing pretty good.