The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 14, 2012, 10:40 PM   #26
Deja vu

I have a 1895SBL that I have been toying with the idea of suppressing, I don't know if I will ever really do it but I think it would be fun to have a tactical cowboy.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 14, 2012, 11:34 PM   #27
HALL,AUSTIN

Come on folks... this website is linked. To SWAT magazine. With the grey ghost suppressor your POI dosent change, you dont ever lose suppression on full automatic due to the design not using welds. It is AWSOME!!!!!! Please check it out.
Old January 15, 2012, 02:28 AM   #28
phil mcwilliam

My only hunting experience with a silencer is limited to my CZ .22. The silencer works well with subsonic ammunition (a bit quieter than an airgun), but if you fire CCI Minimags its just as loud as having no silencer. The silencer I have is threaded onto the barrel & is around 6 inches long, and made up of a tube with a series of washers & springs.
I have seen a Ruger Mini 14 with a suppressor the whole length of the barrel. They guy that owned it told me he didn't use subsonic ammunition & it was similar in loudness to a .22 lr.
I use my CZ .22 with silencer firing winchester subsonic hollowpoints for head shooting goats out to about 50 yards. Drops them every time.
Old January 16, 2012, 04:57 AM   #29
lt dan

Quote:
anyone ever do any hunting with a suppressed firearm? just wondering how well it would work
we do silencer hunting over her in Africa quite a lot. i use it for most of my hunts as well as culls and vermin control. i use it on my 308 with n 22" barrel with a k98 action, i have seen these suppressors on anything from a .22 to a 25-06 an d from a 300H&H to a 375Ruger. for mr the advantages are more than simply less noise. the suppressor takes about 60%of the recoil away. now i am not recoil shy, but if you take more than 100 springbok a night then you need to be able to keep your rifle still so that you can see the point of impact. the difference in noise for me is enough to keep the game from getting going into a full stampede. also the silencer protects the crown something that can easily get damage in a hunting vehicle that is in full pursuit.my rifle has a diffrent piont of impact with and without the silencer. the speed is the same and with 110grn vmax the group is 9mm and with 150grn Sierra pro hunter the group is 12mm at 100yards.
a friend of mine, took 15 jackal for this night with a 25-06 with a supressor. without it it wouldnt have been possible.

my 308 with silencer.

Last edited by lt dan; January 16, 2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old January 16, 2012, 12:35 PM   #30
Willie Lowman

Quote:
With the grey ghost suppressor your POI dosent change, you dont ever lose suppression on full automatic due to the design not using welds. It is AWSOME
There isn't can you can hang off of the muzzle of your rifle that doesn't change point of impact.

The grey ghost is a monolithic baffle with round holes drilled in it. It is basically one step above flat baffles as far as suppressor tech goes.
Old January 16, 2012, 02:05 PM   #31
2damnold4this

There is legislation here in Georgia to change the law to make using a suppressor legal while hunting.
Old April 26, 2014, 08:14 PM   #32
Lark

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I do have a question. Georgia recently passed HB60 which would allow hunting with suppressed firearms with some restrictions. I read a document that claimed subsonic ammo was illegal to use in Georgia while hunting. You can read it here; http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/n...ill_report.pdf

Anyone ever read any Georgia law or regulation about subsonic ammo? I did read the Georgia law requiring expanding center fire ammo, but subsonic ammo will expand. Thanks.

ETA: I think I found the problem. HB875 had a provision for banning subsonic hunting ammo but was not passed; otherwise it was similar to HB60. I think the Senate office published the report without updating it.

Last edited by Lark; April 26, 2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old April 26, 2014, 08:38 PM   #33
Sharkbite

Check out 300blktalk

Search for hunting posts. Lots of subsonic and suppressed info there. Most is 300blk specific, but other cals as well. 308...22lr
Old April 26, 2014, 09:19 PM   #34
2nDefense

Sharkbite is right. 300 Blackout is a great option for suppressed hunting. Reduced cost over the 308 plus similar ballistics shooting subs out of a smaller package. It's a great round for hog hunting here in Texas

300 Blackout Brass In Stock
Old April 27, 2014, 04:33 AM   #35
tmorone

Depends on states and what you can hunt with them. Check out aaccanu.com for some good references.

In FL, you can't hunt game animals with them but hogs are ok (on private land). Anytime I go for hogs, it's with a suppressed 300blk. Aaaaand, it's fantastic!
Old April 27, 2014, 04:48 AM   #36
green_MTman

i think a bullet goes subsonic at about 900fps.
i think a 45-70 with a 500 grain would be subsonic but with big game energy
Old April 27, 2014, 05:15 AM   #37
Old Stony

Some people seem to think you can just pick hogs at random and shoot them one after another without spooking the rest...with a suppressor. They have very good hearing, and even if you were using an air rifle, they would be running at the first shot. I use suppressors on .........22lr and .223 and even shooting crows and stuff like that it's a one shot proposition. The supprssors make the shooting quieter, but not like in the movies by any means.
Old April 27, 2014, 10:26 AM   #38
Husqvarna

suppresors are actually something that got LESS restrictions here in Sweden!

I have a suppressor on my 308 mainly because I hunt pigs pretty near the community, do what I can to not bother people

want one on my argo to because with that one I hunt pigs in driven hunts and don't want my dog to go deaf

I use a suppressed ruger1022 at a family members farm to shoot inside the barn and not disturb the cows (shooting rats and birds)

downside is that they can make the rifles a little unwieldly
Old April 27, 2014, 03:11 PM   #39
johnwilliamson062

I'd like to try to clarify something in this thread if I can. I think some are following and some are not.
The "initial blast" of the gun occurs at the shooters position and ONLY at the shooters position. It is louder than the sonic boom of the bullet. It is somewhat directional out the muzzle and/or the direction the rifle is ported, but not entirely.
The sonic boom of a supersonic bullet occurs along the bullets flight path as long as it is supersonic. It radiates from the position of the bullet at any point in time(more or less).

300 yards down range on the flight path of the bullet the sonic boom is probably much louder than the "initial blast" as it is originating at that point at that time and the blast is from 300 yards away. Standing off the bullets flight path 300 yards and 300 yards from the position of the shooter, the initial boom will be louder.

The point of using a suppressor with a super sonic load is to significantly reduce the sound heard at a point not along the bullet path. Say a house 1000 meters to the right of the shooters position. The first morning of gun season non-shooters can constantly hear gun shot in the country all over Ohio. This bothers some people. If suppressors were used they would not be heard.
Old April 27, 2014, 10:23 PM   #40
ATCDoktor

Suppressed hunting is legal in my state and I have taken many coyotes and jackrabbits with suppressed rifles and what johnwilliamson062 posted was spot on:

Quote:
The point of using a suppressor with a super sonic load is to significantly reduce the sound heard at a point not along the bullet path. Say a house 1000 meters to the right of the shooters position. The first morning of gun season non-shooters can constantly hear gun shot in the country all over Ohio. This bothers some people. If suppressors were used they would not be heard.
Here are a few videos of jackrabbits taken with suppressed .223, 17 hornet and 220 swift.

You will note that the resounding "boom" associated with firing in the field is absent from all firing situations:

These two jacks were taken at 200 and 225 yards respectively with a Ruger 17 Hornet firing 20 grain Hornady factory ammo. You will note that the "far" jack doesnt move at he sound of the shot, he moves at the sound of bullet striking his partners skull (Supressor was a Gemtech Titanium Trek thread mount):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RME1...yer_detailpage

This jack was taken at about 125 yards or so with a 220 swift firing 50 grain hornady ZMAX bullet at 3750 FPS. Note that all noise associated with the firing of the shot stops when the bullet strikes the jack. No echoing boom and sonic crack stops at impact (suppresor was an AAC M42000 using a 51T flash hider mount).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvOK...yer_detailpage

Here's a couple of jacks taken at 200 yards with a .223 firing a 55 grain jsp bullet at about 3000 fps. The "ping" you here is the the AAC flashider resonating (not unlike a tuning fork) upon firing. The "hiss" of the sonic crack can be heard moving away from the firing point and to the "shooters ear" it sounds like an airhose being disconnected from a pnuematic tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu9j...yer_detailpage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqNr...detailpage#t=1

One more short range jack taken at 50 yards same load as above using an AAC M42000 suppressor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eUG...yer_detailpage

To me the benefit of hunting suppressed is considerable (be it subsonic or trans sonic ammo being used).

Saving my ears/hearing and keeping good relations with property owners reference noise pollution in rapidly urbanzing "country" environment pays dividends (to me) above and beyond any financial cost associated with suppressor use.
Old April 28, 2014, 03:05 AM   #41
alex0535

One of the firearm privileges that was just made legal here in the state of Georgia along with now being able to carry a handgun more places.

I didn't want a silencer until now. I can legally shoot any legal firearm in my yard. Neighbors might not like the noise but the police don't care. For just plinking, I will put on my hearing protection. But now that I can legally hunt with a suppressor, I kind of want one for a .22, I think I could do a number on some of the local squirrel population with some subsonic hollow-points and a suppressor and do it quietly.
Old April 28, 2014, 04:38 PM   #42
oldcspsarge

Here is a list of States and rules for hunting with suppressors :

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/pdf...OMPILATION.pdf
Old April 28, 2014, 06:59 PM   #43
johnwilliamson062

I'm not going to go into too many details as there are lots of other threads, but...

Shooting almost any gun with a suppressor still creates a db greater than OSHA permits. It helps a lot, but it isn't entirely safe. Shooting one or two shots a day hunting is a lot different than spending three hours shooting at the range also.
Old April 29, 2014, 02:07 AM   #44
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062
Shooting almost any gun with a suppressor still creates a db greater than OSHA permits.
That's not entirely accurate. OSHA states, "Exposure to impulsive or impact noise should not exceed 140 dB peak sound pressure level." But every modern pistol silencer and most modern rifle silencers are under 140 dBs. This 140 dB limit leads many silencer companies to claim their silencers are "hearing safe".

So by OSHA standards, a few shots from any good modern silencer is "hearing safe" because it's less than 140 dBs and it's not continuous. But medically speaking, any sound over 85 - 95 dB can cause permanent hearing loss, and the more someone is exposed to those sounds the worse the hearing loss will be. So unless you're only shooting a few shots out of your suppressor, it's a good idea to use hearing protection.
Old April 29, 2014, 10:30 AM   #45
Deja vu

Last fall I got my deer with a suppressed 45-70. The load was subsonic 500 grain bullet. It penetrated like crazy. The range was fairly close (less than 100 yards) The deer was a small mule deer buck. It worked very well. I have since found 550 grain bullets and started reloading them.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...