The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2011, 03:32 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Once Fired Hulls

Does anyone know a good place in Southern California to buy once fired STS hulls. Most internet sellers want 10 cents a piece for them plus $11.00 shipping. PapCharliesHulls in Florida only asks 5 cents plus shipping, if he has them. I would rather buy local but that is a fair price.

Also, I have good success with Gun Clubs and have a lot of the Sport Loads. Suppoedly, they are the same as Gun Clubs but made for WallMart. Still, I noticed the ones I have are 6 pointed instead of 8. Lyman recommends not reloading a 6 with an 8 point crimper. Is that a safety issue or is the hull merely likely to wear out quicker if you change the crimp.

Maybe I am bad and should post this on the reloading page, but that seems mostly frequented by pistol and rifle shooters. If Dave McC wants me to, just say the word and I will post stuff like this over there.
Old October 29, 2011, 04:03 PM   #2
oregunner

6 point hulls load just fine, but you are right, you shouldn't try to precrimp them with an 8 point precrimp die. What reloader are you using? Most can be changed to a 6 point precrimp die. I use a PW 375, and when I see that there is a 6 point in the mix, I just skip the precrimp stage, and crimp it down. It works just fine. If I have a whole batch of 6 point hulls, I change my precrimp die to that and do the whole batch. All Remington hulls are good to reload. I shoot them and keep the hulls, and also pick them up for free at the range. I reload them 4 times and let them fly. Mark
Old October 29, 2011, 04:34 PM   #3
zippy13

TKM, my friend, if your MEC is like mine, then the pre-crimp dies literally just snap on. They're $4.33 from MEC. If your loader is really old (with a metal starter), then you'll need the snap post ($1.88), too.

Sorry, I don't have a cheap source for hulls in SoCal.
Old October 29, 2011, 05:17 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

I had no idea that an 8 point crimp starter was so inexpensive. My MEC isn't that old. Thanks Zippy. Thanks oregunner.
Old October 29, 2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

K Man, it can stay here.

Check around, the last Nitro and STS once fireds I picked up for $.04. I buy by the thousand when I have to.

BTW, the Gun Club hulls use the same data. I load them up once and toss 'em.
Old October 30, 2011, 02:05 AM   #6
TheKlawMan

Thanks again all. I experimented with the green 6 point Remington loads and they came out pretty good as long as I skipped the pre crimp. I probably mispoke when I said they were "Sport" loads. They say Remington and are a green 70MM 6 point hull that had 3-1/4 dram equivalents and an ounce of #8 shot.

Anyway, I have quite a few red Winchester AA HS hulls (I know a lot of people don't like them but they load beautifully for me using the same settings on the MEC for Gun Club) and will only be loading them and the few remaining gun clubs until I pick up a proper pre-crimp.

Maybe I am too cheap, but I am getting at least 5 reloads out of my gun clubs.
Old October 30, 2011, 11:51 AM   #7
BigJimP

The plastic is much stronger on the STS and Nitro hulls ...and you'll get 15 or more reloads from a 12ga STS or Nitro hull ...unless you go to a really hot load.

You might try asking if a local club can get you a deal on 4 or 5 flats of new STS shells... ( they're about $ 60 a flat ( 10 boxes ) up here ) ....and then just use the hulls.../ its an option ...
Old October 30, 2011, 02:16 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

I was going to drive out to the Bass Pro and get a flat of Gun Clubs, but if STS hulls last that long I may spring for some. They are pricier, about $8.50 a box, at Bass Pro, but I will see if Phillips Wholesale has them. I kow that the brands they carry are a lot cheaper from them than anywhere else and I need to make a trip out there as is.
Old October 31, 2011, 01:46 AM   #9
.300 Weatherby Mag

Klawman,

If you aren't already.. Get signed up for Bass Pro's email... I got two flats of Winchester AA 12 gauge shipped for $3 (for both ) on one of their special shipping deals... You know what I drive, I can't drive to Bass Pro for $3
Old October 31, 2011, 08:24 AM   #10
oneounceload

Quote:
BTW, the Gun Club hulls use the same data. I load them up once and toss 'em.
I reload them till they fail - typically about 8-10 times each - work as good as the STS
Old October 31, 2011, 09:16 AM   #11
jaguarxk120

I thought Disk's Sporting goods has Gun Club shell on ale this week for $4.98 bx.
Old October 31, 2011, 01:31 PM   #12
LSnSC

+1 for the Gun Clubs. I load them till they get ragged looking then toss them.

I use AA and STS's for my 20's. I get them at local range for a nickle a piece.
Old October 31, 2011, 01:33 PM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Gun clubs, 1 oz, don't run through my MECs like the STS and Nitros do, so I relegate them to "Spare" shell status. My arthritis needs no aggravation.

I have used some for 6 or 7 reloads w/o splits or failures. That's about what I get from STS and Nitros before the folds split in the crimps.
Old October 31, 2011, 01:59 PM   #14
TheKlawMan

I looked at how much STS cost around here. BigJim probably goes in on a group buy. Weatherby's idea for getting free shipping helps. I need to get out to Bass Pro anyway andn maybe I will get the courage to make a decisiion on a gun. Dave McC isn't the only one aggravated by his reloader. I have to try and use two hands to avoid aggravating my arms. After pulling that handle of the MEC Sizemaster so many times, I know why many pay for a progressive loader. Dick's doesn't even carry ammo in Southern California.
Old October 31, 2011, 03:02 PM   #15
oneounceload

TKM - a group buy would help, as would catching one of the big boxes having a sale and then any rebates - the advantage - first you'll shoot the factory so you know how it performs and what to expect; second you KNOW those hulls will be once-fired since you fired them

Dave - don't know what model MEC you use - I used the RCBS Grand and it works. When I had a 9000, ANY AA or Remington hull went through (all from one big box) with no issues. I still keep a Jr. for back up or small batches and it works - maybe the collet doesn't do as good on the bases as the sizing ring????
Old October 31, 2011, 05:09 PM   #16
BigJimP

I just buy flats - when my club has them / or when they're on sale somewhere approaching upland bird season typically. But sure - the last time I bought some new was a few yrs ago ...but the price I gave you is what my club is selling them for in individual flats to members only ...which I thought was fairly typical ...

I do buy in bulk when I can - if it gives me a discount - and I bought 20 flats or so a few yrs ago - at a good price / and I was primarily using them for tournaments...and then reloading.../but I don't shoot that much 12ga anymore.

I still have 6 or 7 flats of new shells...and a 25 gallon garbage can full of used hulls that I'm cycling thru...but if I run accross a garbage bag full of once fired hulls, I'll let you know...maybe send a "care" package down to you poor boys in southern ca ...that don't have good local suppliers...
Old October 31, 2011, 06:39 PM   #17
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

600 JR. I sold off my Grabber, too much hassle going after stray pellets in that collet. On my second sizing ring.

MEC says this was made pre 1980.

Don't get me wrong. It's a very minor hassle reloading GCs.
Old October 31, 2011, 06:46 PM   #18
BigJimP

What the heck ...?? "too much hassle ....going after pellets in the sizer collet...." ....

( I now realize, I've become my grandfather ...) ....I used to think I was just starting to sound like him / talk like him - telling the kids they didn't know what they're doing...now, I realize I am him ..../ since I have grandkids now in college ...( things are just way funnier than I ever thought they would be !!).

But as a buddy says often, "Even my worst days are Great !"....

...but then again, I'm reloading on a bunch of MEC 9000-HN hydraulics too ... ....and the old 1980's model Grabber is waiting for one of the
35 yr old kids to show up and get it out of my way !!