The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 15, 2011, 08:19 PM   #51
silvercorvette

I respect the owners right to ban guns at his place of business, if I see a sign I turn around and leave but before I go I inform the owner I will not enter his store and then I walk out. If I chose to enter with a gun and something happens and I had to use a gun where it was banned the lawyers fees would bankrupt me even if I won I would be a broke winner
Old January 15, 2011, 11:49 PM   #52
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Re the "polite" request you made of management somewhere, what did you get by way of reply?
In one case, the policy was reconsidered and rescinded. The owner's response, was "you carry a gun? But you're...normal." It gave me a good opening, and he was an open-minded fellow.

In the other case, the policy was kept, but I was granted an allowance provided I exercised a great deal of discretion.
Old January 16, 2011, 04:13 AM   #53
HoraceHogsnort

"Also, I consider it an act of discourtesy to the proprietor and fellow customers to carry a firearm into a place where the proprietor has clearly indicated that patrons with guns are not welcome. It's more than a question of just being able to "get away" with a simple trespass charge, it's just common courtesy. If the store owner or manager doesn't want me with my firearm in that establishment, I don't go inside with it."

I guess I'm just one discourteous S.O.B.
Old January 16, 2011, 02:08 PM   #54
silvercorvette

Quote:
If the store owner or manager doesn't want me with my firearm in that establishment, I don't go inside with it."
I would change that to I don't go inside. I would rather spend my money to support a place the supports my right to carry.
Old January 16, 2011, 07:22 PM   #55
alan

Tom Servo writes:

Quote:
Re the "polite" request you made of management somewhere, what did you get by way of reply?

In one case, the policy was reconsidered and rescinded. The owner's response, was "you carry a gun? But you're...normal." It gave me a good opening, and he was an open-minded fellow.

In the other case, the policy was kept, but I was granted an allowance provided I exercised a great deal of discretion.

----------------------------------

There was/is an old saw going to the following effect.

One gets more bees with honey than with vinegar. Still valid it appears.

Tom:

Re the first business man you approached, who commented on you being "normal". Did he expect a person who carried a gun to have multiple heads, one wonders or was he surprised as being approached politely by a gun carrying person. If so, one also wonders as to why, either prejudice or unfortunate past experiences come to mind as possible answers.
Old January 16, 2011, 09:57 PM   #56
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Re the first business man you approached, who commented on you being "normal". Did he expect a person who carried a gun to have multiple heads, one wonders or was he surprised as being approached politely by a gun carrying person.
This was in a very "bohemian" neighborhood, which (as many bohemian neighborhoods do) bordered on some pretty unpleasant areas. There had been a string of armed muggings in the area, and he'd thought that putting up a "no guns" sign would deter criminals from his establishment.

No, really. That line of reasoning seems to make sense to some folks.

In any case, he knew me well, and the subject of the gun had never come up. I explained that I carried, why I carried, and why the sign was no deterrent to people who didn't live by rules, and he was willing to listen.

Or, I could have ranted about how he was violating my rights and called him a fascist, in which case he would have felt his prejudices justified.

How we present ourselves goes a long way towards how we're perceived.
Old January 16, 2011, 10:37 PM   #57
armsmaster270

My feeling are if they don't want my gun, they will not get any of my money.
Old January 17, 2011, 05:14 PM   #58
WANT A LCR 22LR

"" There had been a string of armed muggings in the area, and he'd thought that putting up a "no guns" sign would deter criminals from his establishment.

No, really. That line of reasoning seems to make sense to some folks. ""

I wonder if shop owners that use that line of thought believe a no gun sign turns a "gun used during a crime" in to a higher level offence.

On another note, I wonder if anti gun patrons have ever brought their own stickers and placed them on the front door of a business. I suspect such a add on could go unnoticed by workers for a long time at a box store where a "owner" isn't present paying attention to details. ( And maybe to a lesser extent at some smaller businesses. )
Old January 17, 2011, 07:26 PM   #59
alan

Tom Servo wrote in part:

This was in a very "bohemian" neighborhood, which (as many bohemian neighborhoods do) bordered on some pretty unpleasant areas. There had been a string of armed muggings in the area, and he'd thought that putting up a "no guns" sign would deter criminals from his establishment.

No, really. That line of reasoning seems to make sense to some folks.
----------------------------

Seems to me that someone, one time offered the following. "There is simply no accounting for taste, or the lack thereof". Might I make so bold as to add, "common sense" to that?
Old January 18, 2011, 01:59 AM   #60
Ramman911

Quote:
As we left, we saw their "No Firearms" sign. How we missed it going in is beyond me at this point because it wasn't hidden at all.
This is my problem. In Iowa there is no unification in sign regulations that I know of. I do not see 90% of the signs ban ccw carry. Not that I WANT to break their rules/wishes, but rather that I just do not see the signs.
Old January 18, 2011, 02:38 AM   #61
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Seems to me that someone, one time offered the following. "There is simply no accounting for taste, or the lack thereof". Might I make so bold as to add, "common sense" to that?
Common sense isn't so common. Sometimes, we have to teach it.

...and sometimes, just sometimes, it sticks.