The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 17, 2007, 06:02 PM   #1
dbuffington

Remove Light Corrosion/Freckling?

Hi Folks!

I've acquired a very nice old Browning BAR with some light freckling -- light, small corrosion spots -- on the blued receiver.

I understand that only a complete refinishing will return it to new condition, but does anyone have any suggestions for removing the corrosion so that the spots can be touch-up blued.

Thanks!
Dave
Old February 17, 2007, 08:35 PM   #2
Tom2

I think that if you remove the freckles, there will be left tiny little pits, all depending on how big they are. You might try going over it lightly with either some paste metal polish like flitz or that pink stuff that I can never remember the name of, in the yellow tube. That stuff seems to attack rust on bare metal but I suppose you would have to tread lightly to keep from removing any blueing in the process. Just try it in one spot to see how effective it is. Also maybe penetrating oil left on it. Then wipe with a rag. Somewhat more aggresive would be to use the oil and four ought or finer steel wool, being careful not to remove the blue from rubbing it too hard. The rust should be maybe softer than the normal surface finish so just the right touch might work. I have seen people scrape at the rust with a flat wood stick also in some cases. It sounds like a case that you have to be careful as technique is probably as important as what you use. May be time consuming to do well but might pay off so you don't have to have the whole thing refinished. The penetrating oil method might require some time, perhaps the loose rust will come off quickly, then let it soak in a few days more, rub some more, etc.
Old February 17, 2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The preferred method to remove the rust but not thin or further damage the bluing is to soak the area with a good penetrating fluid like Kroil or CLP Breakfree.
Kroil is best.

Let soak for several days to soften the rust.
Make a scraper from sheet brass, or a brass cartridge case with the mouth smashed shut, and filed into a chisel or scraper blade.

After soaking, apply more fluid then use the scraper to scrap the heavier crusty rust, then brush the area with a brass "toothbrush".

After the rust is off, wipe dry and apply CLP Breakfree to continue "working" on any hidden rust, and to prevent further rust.

While this will remove the rust, it won't damage the remaining blue, but will leave the tiny pits were the rust was.

Some people will recommend fine steel wool, but this will thin or even remove bluing.
The brass scraper and brush won't.
Old February 18, 2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Tom2

Yea like I said, if you use the finest grade steel wool, you would have to use oil with it and use a light touch, it is a matter of technique. I have used brass brushes for cleaning up gun parts also. Never tried a brass scraper but that could work. Might leave brass marks on areas without sufficient oil. Then some bore cleaner will usually wipe away brass marks on the gun. Have to keep that one on my list of tools. You could actually remove the blueing with the wool, but I think it would require alot of elbow grease to do it unless you used a coarse grade! Patience and care will do it with any method and trying to rush may take off more than you planned. the steel wool would be a last resort I guess.
Old February 18, 2007, 08:29 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Before using an abrasive or steel wool, try brass or copper wool, sold in the kitchen section of your local super market. It works well, and the residue left in the tiny rusted areas will take cold blue. If the rust is not deep, a pass with brass wool, followed by cleaning, followed by a good cold blue and oil will work wonders.

Jim
Old February 19, 2007, 06:22 AM   #6
dbuffington

I'll try the oil soak and the mildest possible tool and see what happens. (Already, just a good rubbing with Hoppes oil took off a lot of the smaller stuff.)

As for brass/cooper wool: Do you mean the stuff that comes in a ball of brass/copper ribbon, with the ribbons about 1 mm wide?

Thanks to all!
Dave
Old February 19, 2007, 11:01 AM   #7
Clayton

Flitz polish will remove light rust and tarnish without removing a blued finish. Corrosion-X will also help loosen any corrosion, and prevent any further damage. Corrosion-X also works great as a CLP-type product.

www.corrosionx.com
www.flitz.com
Old February 19, 2007, 05:13 PM   #8
Tom2

Well in any event it sounds like you are getting positive results with the least aggresive methods which is good.