The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 5, 2006, 08:59 PM   #1
Harry Callahan

Swearing off guns

I know we all strive to win the antis and the ignorant over to our side every day but has anyone ever heard of or known anyone that used to be a gun enthusiast and for whatever reason now shuns them? Blasphemers!!!
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old August 5, 2006, 09:56 PM   #2
zippyfusenet

Actually, yes. A good friend of mine used to shoot and collect firearms, until the day an old military rifle blew up in his face. He wasn't seriously injured, but the experience put him off guns. He hasn't turned anti-gun, but he no longer owns any that work.
Old August 5, 2006, 11:21 PM   #3
croyance

I know people who grew up around guns and shot them recreationally but gave them up as adults. Some didn't think everybody should be allowed to own guns.
Old August 6, 2006, 01:31 AM   #4
PATH

I could never inagine giving up my babies!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old August 6, 2006, 01:43 AM   #5
Harry Callahan

Me neither!
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old August 6, 2006, 02:30 AM   #6
skeeter1

Nope.

I gave one away this week to a young man to help get him into shooting/hunting with his dad (one of my best friends). Give up my guns? Not a snowballs chance in hell. Truth is, I look forward to shooting them more. That's my chosen sport. Golf was good for a while, but I'd rather shoot at tin cans out on the farm.

BTW, I happen to be a liberal Democrat, but don't nobody touch my guns. Politics and firearms ownership don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Old August 6, 2006, 04:54 AM   #7
Rembrandt

Knew a family that were avid hunters....one of their kids killed himself, family got rid of everything.
Old August 6, 2006, 05:36 AM   #8
blume357

You GO Skeeter

You know what a conservative rupublicans worse nightmare is?

A gun toten' liberal!
Old August 6, 2006, 05:49 AM   #9
Bronco1957

Never. As a matter of fact, I gave my buddy's 12 year old son a Mossberg 20 ga for his birthday. Kid is becoming a hell of a wings hot, and is instant death on squirrels and rabbits.
Old August 6, 2006, 05:56 AM   #10
maas

ya because the republican is wondering what republican the liberal took the gun from

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old August 6, 2006, 06:07 AM   #11
Hal

Quote:
You know what a conservative rupublicans worse nightmare is?

A gun toten' liberal!
LOL!
You have no idea how close to home that hits!!!
My son -aka the "champion of the liberal cause" is rapidly becoming my *worst nightmare*..

Q. - Know why "liberals" always seem to be the ones leading protests?
A. - They have all the time in the world since they don't have a job!
Old August 6, 2006, 11:21 AM   #12
CelticMP

yep

my ex wife hates and deplores guns always has. she is country girl from TX. But now has joined the Army and is in CID and still maintains her hatred for them. weird woman
Old August 7, 2006, 10:36 PM   #13
Hardtarget

My Dad has surprised me with a few comments. Its almost like he's on the fence and can't decide where to land when he jumps. His background is...ready?...U.S. Army, WW II, and hunted all my life. I don't think it would take much to set him on the anti side of the argument. Bothers me a little.
Mark.
Old August 8, 2006, 09:34 AM   #14
Majic

I used to work with one. He was an avid hunter until the new wife made him get rid of all his guns. To listen to him now you would never know he ever pulled a trigger.
Old August 8, 2006, 09:49 AM   #15
Epyon

Well well, allow me to dabble in this...

Well so far a lot of people on this forum see me as "lefty" at least by American standards. So with that said, I guess my girlfriend and I are both "lefties" and support guns. I will always be quick to say though, that political affiliations should never be instituted when upholding the Constitution, as it is to be a monument to freedom regardless of whether you're Republican or Democrat, I guess what I'm trying to do here is get people to stop thinking red vs. blue (yeah I just made a HALO reference. ) and start thinking about what we can do as people to help achieve a more perfect Union. Too many times I see partyline politics just further drive the wedge in dividing people's beliefs, it seems that it's difficult for some to understand that I support gay marrige, AND support gun control (by hitting my target every time!).

Epyon
Vote Epyon for president in 2008, if you vote for Epyon all of your wildest dreams will come true: This campaign was brought to you by Epyon; funded in part by the Pizza Party, Surprise Party, Birthday Party, and Slumber Party.
Old August 8, 2006, 11:40 AM   #16
SOSARMS

Location: The great Buckeye state...where nuts are not just for eating
My late wife had approved of my shooting and collecting ( as long as she got her diamonds ) without issue until her brother accidently shot and killed himself with a Mossburg 500 that he thought wasn't loaded.....from then on it was a tough sell to maintain my stash let alone water it....
Old August 8, 2006, 02:30 PM   #17
Evil Monkey

If a family member killed him/her self driving too fast on the freeway, would the rest of the family members give up all thier cars?

No? Then why would they give up guns?
BREAKING NEWS: Local man found in the street yelling "1911" and "45" while drooling, more at 11:00.
Old August 8, 2006, 03:10 PM   #18
JuanCarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey
If a family member killed him/her self driving too fast on the freeway, would the rest of the family members give up all thier cars?

No? Then why would they give up guns?
Probably because cars are much more of a necessity in modern society than guns. I could give up guns without a terribly significant change in lifestyle; I wouldn't know what the hell to do without a car.

Basically, without having to change one's lifestyle significantly it is much easier to adopt a knee-jerk reaction that makes absolutely no sense.