The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2000, 08:22 AM   #1
tonyz

Ok I have been reloading the same bullets and
caliber for awhile, 9mm-122Gr lazer-cast Flat Point bullets, in F.C and winchester Brass, with winchester primmers and an OAL of 1.070. I usually use a medium load 4.0Gr of Titegroup.
I have bumped this powder load up and down looking for the most accurate load. In the last 2 weeks some of my leadcast reloads are hitting the target sidways.But is seams to only happen with the my Ruger Blackhack 357,38Spl with the 9mm conversion cylinder. This load has shot sub 1&1/2 inch groups for months
The 2 pistol that I am shooting in 9mm are the Ruger P95 and the ruger Blackhawk with the 9mm cylinder.
This does not happen with my other bullets
rainer and Hardcast copper plated. with the same load. Help anyone!!!

Thanks Tony Z

------------------
www.vote.com
also for gun accessorys. http://gungoodies.com

[This message has been edited by tonyz (edited June 02, 2000).]
Old June 2, 2000, 09:16 AM   #2
JimK

The Ruger has a bore diameter designed for .357 dia. bullets a 9mm has a bore dia.designed for .356 dia bullets. Perhaps your last batch of bullets is sized a little smaller than normal

Jim
Old June 2, 2000, 10:19 AM   #3
tonyz

Jim k

<The Ruger has a bore diameter designed for .357 dia. bullets a 9mm has a bore dia.designed for .356 dia bullets. Perhaps your last batch of bullets is sized a little smaller than normal>
---------------------------------------------
I check about 30 of the bullets and the size was .356 and wight was very consistant to 122gr.

Tony Z
Old June 2, 2000, 10:54 AM   #4
Fred J. Drumheller
Retired Screen Name

Is the bore badly leaded? That'll do it. Otherwise, to slow a twist for the weight of bullet can cause it. Try a lighter bullet in an unleaded bore. I doubt that your problem is from a bullet being .002 to large or to small.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle
Old June 3, 2000, 03:40 PM   #5
Paul B.

Tonyz. Find a lead bullet that is as close to the ones you are having trouble with weight-wise, but in at least .358" diameter.
Make sure your handgun's bore is as free of leading as you can make it. 9MM bores run from .355 to .358 in diameter. If your bullets are .356", then I can see why you are having problems. If you know a bullet caster who casts bullets in that diameter,.358/.359, see if he will give you a few to seat in the brass to check for fit, and to slide through the chambers of the 9MM cylinder. Tight is OK. If they are real loose, that could be the source of your problem. I size my 9MM bullets to .359. The bores I have in 3 9MM pistols run .358 and one is .359.
If you have any questions, E-mail me and I'll try to figure them out.
Paul B.