The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2005, 09:48 PM   #1
Jalex

ranier bullets & bluedot

Has anyone loaded 230 gr rn raniers over bluedot for .45 acp ? Looking for a starting point. I'm new to the site, lots of good info.
Old February 10, 2005, 10:18 PM   #2
impact

I don't mind giving out load data. but I get mine from manuals. What manuals do you have?

In my Hodgen manual it has 7.5 min to 8.5 max with blue dot and a 230gr jacketed bullet.

In my Lyman manual it list 7.5 min to 10.7 max with blue dot and a 225gr lead bullet.

I would start at 7.5 with blue dot and the rainier bullet. Make sure the bullet is .451. This going to be light to med load. I realy don't much care for Rainier bullets for accuracy. I think blue dot is a little to slow. Next time try a better bullet and a faster powder and you will get better accuracy. A good lead bullet with fast powder makes for good accuracy in a 45 ACP.
Old February 11, 2005, 10:16 AM   #3
Jalex

Ranier & bluedot

thanks for the input , just not published on this bullet. Been told you don't load same as lead or jacketed. going to start on low side and see from there.
thanks jim
Old February 11, 2005, 09:53 PM   #4
impact

yah people told me that to. Ive loaded 4 thousand rounds or so of rainier and used them for IDPA. I load on the low side so I don't even worry about pressure. Load rainier to lead specs. The reason I say this is because the bullet is just a copper plated lead bullet. but yet soft like lead. If you push the rainier to fast it will distort the base of the bullet and you will get fliers.

Lots of people have there own pet loads but I like 4.4grs of AAno5 with a 200gr SWC bullet. It shoots at about 840fps. You can run thousands of rounds with no leading.

I realy like blue dot. But I only use it in my 45 colt and 357 mag.