The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 21, 2001, 05:45 PM   #1
JAMES L.SMITH

Remington express&rust

Do the express shotguns rust more[faster] than the blued ones? I'v bought 3 used ones in the last 2 years all had some rust on them,also i'v bought 4 other Rems.[blued] no rust on them.Is this normal on the express?
Old July 21, 2001, 05:51 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

I'm not sure why your having problems. As far as I know, the Express uses a powder-coat finish. It should be pretty rust resistant. It could be that blued guns are factory coated with a lube, and powder coat possibly isn't, or maybe people just don't take care of "cheaper" Express guns.
Old July 21, 2001, 06:33 PM   #3
dick w. holliday

i've had several and i agree that they do rust faster--i guess it's because that rough finish holds the moisture better than slick bluing....Dick
Old July 21, 2001, 08:18 PM   #4
johnbt

OTOH, the rough metal finish on the Express will also hold oil, or Sheath, better and longer, too.

JT
Old July 21, 2001, 10:02 PM   #5
Coronach

Well, the 870 that rides around in the trunk of our north cruisers (either me or the guy just north of me, we switch off) is an old wingmaster with some powdercoat on it. I'm not sure if it came this way or if it is an aftermarket thing...but I doubt it had any oil applied to it in its service life prior to it coming into my clutches. It has a nice dull-rust patina to it ()...BUT, thats it. Nothing other than a surface coloration. The thing is ancient and has exhibited no ill effects.

YMMV

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old July 21, 2001, 10:21 PM   #6
MP-5

I believe the "express" rusts easier as well. (although the cheaper gun theory problably works too). I have had rust on my express barrel and tried to remove it in the traditional way you would remove rust on a blued gun. Fine steel wool and some WD-40 and the rust was gone....but so was my finish! Not a very durable finish IMO.
Old July 22, 2001, 03:36 AM   #7
Romulus

Well besides the bullcrap safety button, I don't really know what has changed in the last ten years of Express model making...My express (ca. 1991) is a heavily and un-aesthetically heavily bead blasted 870. The receiver was never machined fully flat and polished, all the forge-marks (if in fact it's a forged piece, it may be a cast receiver) are visible through the peening from the blast media. And, lo and behold, it was blued. Back then ( a mere ten years ago) folks would talk about the "cheap parkerized" Express, when in reality it was shot-blasted and BLUED. I saw one recently at Walmart, and I swear it is still to this day, bead blasted and hot-tank blued...no powder-coat finishes, no phosphate parking, jez plain ole bluin over a crappy rough finish.

I could be wrong, gentelmens...
Old July 22, 2001, 07:21 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

As I understand it. all the Expresses are blued over that rough, unpolished surface.Phosphate finishes like parkerizing give a green/gray tinge and also tend to be a little smoother to the touch. Bluing is a controlled form of oxidation, and if the agents are not neutralized after the bath, some rust could occur.

Note, those rough surfaces hold oil longer,IF we oil them.....