The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 5, 2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Crow Hunter

Simplify, simplify, simplify

Henry David Thoreau wrote that many moons ago and I have been trying to apply that to my life where I can.

I have applied that to my gun "collection" previously, but now I am thinking about throwing another iteration at it.

My 1st iteration was reducing from quite a few different action types/calibers to just AR-15 type rifles, Glock handguns, and Benelli shotguns. This has worked out well, particularly in the $ department both from money I got from selling them and the reduction in insurance/ammo stocking costs. But now it has gotten me to thinking about taking it further.

There are several guns in my collection that belonged to my late father that were passed down to me or that were given to me by him that I will never get rid of, but they don't follow the action types listed above.

They pretty much break down into Remington 700, S&W Revolver, and Browning BPS actions.

I could sell off my ARs, Glocks and Benellis and purchase a couple of Remington 700 rifles in .308 (or 7mm08) and .223 along with S&W 642/442 revolvers and a Browning BPS HD and maybe another BPS in 12 ga or 20 ga.

This would replace the capabilities of the other guns in my current set and cover my rifle shooting, CCW, hunting and HD guns while keeping the same actions types as my legacy guns.

Honestly, I really don't "need" an AR or a Glock or even a Benelli in my day to day life. They are certainly fun to have and I shoot them well, but I felt much better after my last round of simplification which took me from a "collector" to a user and greatly increased my "unconcious competence" and familiarity with those weapon types to the point that I fumble now with my "legacy" weapons.

The only catch to that is that I went shooting this past weekend with my brother and I did a direct comparison of my standard CCW G19 and a S&W 686 6.5" Powerport for both accuracy and speed shooting.

My performance with the G19 was lightyears ahead of the S&W to the point that I actually caused my brother's eyebrows to raise, which is a feat if you know brotherly competition. Granted, I have more rounds through a Glock than I do a revolver, although I have been shooting revolvers much longer and that is what I learned to shoot handguns on.

Anyone else gone through a similar thing and if so, what did you do?

Anyone think I am crazy?

Good luck.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Not crazy, but not ready to simplify.
Old November 5, 2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Metal god

No sorry not me . Im still buying what ever floats my boat . I do stay away from calibers that I most likely would only ever have one gun for . I have the normal stuff -9mm , 22 , 308 , 223 to name a few . I do not own a 40 S&W yet but I will and this is the area of calibers I plan to stay in for awhile . Im really in to long guns right now and really don't care to spend any money on hand guns at this time . The two guns that are on my short list and don't really fit the mold is a Marlin 336 SS and Im looking to get a long range heavy barreled 7mm mag .

Thats where Im at right now .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 5, 2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Joe_Pike

I've started to simplify. I don't have the end result in mind yet, but I have sold six guns this year and one last year. Plus, I gave two away this year. I got rid of all three of my Colt revolvers leaving me with S&W only in the DA wheelgun department. I sold off the only two nickel guns that I had and sold off the two Saiga 7.62x39s that I had.

As I get older I have come to realize that I have no one to leave them to and nothing is a museum piece, so, why not just go ahead and thin the herd a bit.
Old November 5, 2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Crow Hunter

Quote:
How so?

Or not so, I should say.

Good luck.
Old November 5, 2012, 07:57 PM   #6
gaseousclay

I only own two rifles so I don't exactly have a set of criteria when purchasing new guns. for now I buy based on utility and nothing more.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:55 PM   #7
SVO

I've been considering selling off some of my T/C and single shot collection, not to simplify but to take my collecting in a different direction.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:47 AM   #8
Stressfire

I have yet to get complicated
Old November 6, 2012, 11:46 AM   #9
surveyor

as far as simplify, I tend to read it a little diffrently..

yes while it is nice to have the ability to swap mags, I'm not going to let that be the deciding factor..

I look at it not by actions, but instead by calibers...

in case of calibers that are a little diffrent, well.as long as the projectile can be used in both its not a big issue to me.. 357 vs 38 ,222 vs 223, 243 vs 244 etc..

I don't have a 40, but if I did I'd also look for 10mm as projectiles can be used in both..
Old November 6, 2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Crow Hunter

Quote:
I look at it not by actions, but instead by calibers...
I tried that once.

It didn't work out for me. If I was hunting with my Mossberg when I had been using my Benelli, I would forget to cycle the action. When I would get used to clicking a safety on and off of a Browning Abolt on the wrist I would forget on the 700 it was up on the right.

I found that I did a lot better if I just stuck with one type of gun.

If I had more time and money to practice, I am sure that I could eventually be proficient with all of them, but when I am missing an opportunity to kill a harmless fuzzy creature because I was manipulating it wrong, I get aggravated.

This completely leaves out if my life was in danger...

Good luck.
Old November 6, 2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Prof Young

Less quantity, more quality

Shooters:
In my own collection I am moving toward fewer guns, but guns of better quality. I've owned, and still own a lot of the cheaper brands and for the most part they have all done their jobs just fine. But I shot a friends Beretta fs 92 and seemed to enjoy it far more than my Hi-point 9mm. Sure it's subjective, but hey, at least in part, we shoot for the enjoyment of it.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old November 6, 2012, 03:10 PM   #12
jgcoastie

Simplifying your collection? Good.

Getting rid of guns with sentimental value because of simplifying/standardizing? Not good.

Keep your collection simple if that's what works for you. But the two categories you list do not have to be mutually exclusive.

The Glocks/AR15/Benelli guns will likely be your go-to guns for all kinds of situations. The legacy guns will be the ones you teach you kids to shoot with, treasure, and pass on to your kids one day.

Just because they all share the same storage location doesn't mean they all have to serve the same functions. So what if you're not as handy with a revolver as you are with a semi??? Do you carry a revolver? No, from what I read in your post. Big deal... So have some fun shooting the revolver every now and again, reacquainting yourself with it and what not... And continue to carry and practice the most with your "standard" guns.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:08 PM   #13
ZEN.45

I've been there several times;

Once I tried to convince myself that one lever action and one revolver in .357mag was all I needed. The temptation to buy other guns/calibers was just too big.

Then I was sure that by limiting my collection to .22, .45 and .308, I would be able to get all I wanted without having too many different calibers. I was perfectly happy with 6 guns in 3 calibers ...

Until I came across a good deal on a MP5 (so I added 9mm to the list).

Everybody at the range seemed to love their SIG550's (so I added 5,56mm to the list).

The possibility to buy cheap surplus ammunition made the acquisition of some Mosins justifiable (so I added 7,62x54R to the list).

Who could resist a nice Martini-Enfield or a jungle carbine (so I added .303 to the list).

Can you say 'no' to a cheap PPSH41 ? I can't ! (so I added 7,62TOK to the list).

I just promised myself that 20 guns and 8 calibers really is my limit and that if I get a new gun/caliber it would have to replace something I already have.

Although ... isn't it a bit silly I don't have a 12-gauge ?
Old November 6, 2012, 06:17 PM   #14
pax

Selling guns? What, are you crazy?!?!?

Simplifying makes good sense, as long as you end up with a collection that makes you happy.

pax
Old November 6, 2012, 06:41 PM   #15
jmr40

Been going down that road for several years. At one time I bought certain guns simply because I'd never owned that particular model before. The trend started 4 years ago when I counted over 60 different guns in a wide variety of chamberings. I sold off 5-6, used the money to buy a new Kimber, scope and put over $1,000 in the bank.

I have a few AR's that I like, have settled on Winchester 70's in either 308 or 30-06 for big game. Not saying those are the best chamberngs. I actually like the 7-08 a lot, but I've got several 30-06's and 308's that I really like and ain't selling. Even though I think the 7-08 is a great round I'll never buy one just because it would complicate matters and is just too close to the 308.

Tried about every shotgun made and settled on Benelli M-1's back before the M-2 came out. I like the M-2, but ain't spending the money to upgrade.

Glocks and 1911's are my handguns of choice. But I've got a Sig and a few S&W revolvers I just can't part with, at least not yet.

I'm down to around 40 guns now and plan on selling, or giving family members, at least 10-15 more eventually. But it is getting harder to pick which one at this point.
Old November 6, 2012, 08:10 PM   #16
jgcoastie

I'll come help you decide jmr40!!!

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 7, 2012, 12:21 AM   #17
Mr. James

Prof Young, jgcoastie and our inestimable pax capture my thoughts. No way would I get rid of a legacy gun (how I wish I had one). I'm hoping mine will become legacy guns for those who survive me.

As to selling guns, short of financing a kidney transplant, screw that!! Buy low, sell never, is a line I cribbed from some dear soul here.

Personally, I've enjoyed a varied range of firearms with, as jgcoastie says, certain go-to guns for any necessary daily use.

God bless.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old November 7, 2012, 12:32 AM   #18
sam colt

simplify

As a loon, but thats what makes this all fun. I loved handguns,then got into benchrest, got rid of some pistols bought remington BBRs in a couple of calibers. Then got seduced by Trap shooting, bought a bunch of Trap guns; BT-99, Perazzi, Beretta and others. Now I'm back into pistols and ARs. I also like old model trains, Lionel etc., but thats another story.
Old November 7, 2012, 05:27 AM   #19
Bud Helms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud
How so?

Or not so, I should say.
What I meant was, reading your post, you don't seem to be ready to simplify, but you're not crazy for wanting to do it.

I too have thought about it, but haven't gotten to that point yet. It is tough to let go of all that hard won hardware. Each one has a story. Truth is my range time dwindles and I find myself admiring my very modest collection, but not using them. They deserve to be used. Over the years I have bought for Carry, Target and Hunting. I am not a real collector.
Old November 7, 2012, 03:54 PM   #20
scottycoyote

i did the same thing this year, sold off about 5 pistols that i really shouldnt have bought in the first place. Just kept my quality guns and my carry guns. Nice thing with the current climate, i either broke even or made money on all the guns, so that was nice. Im now going thru the process with my hunting gear
Old November 7, 2012, 04:54 PM   #21
Crow Hunter

I got the scope mounted on my new M&P 15-22 last night and did a comparison to my trusty old Marlin 881 with a 4x scope.

I set them both at 4x and just went through the motions of mouting them, aiming at different targets, safety on/off, carrying it around, cycling the bolt, etc.

I much preferred the feel of the M&P to that of the old Marlin, even though I have had and used the Marlin for nearly 20 years.

I plan on sighting it in this weekend and do some shooting comparisons.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Good luck.
Old November 7, 2012, 05:15 PM   #22
2damnold4this

Crow Hunter, it seems to me that you have simplified down to the perfect level. If you shoot the G19 better than the revolver, there is no need to sell the G19 and buy another revolver.
Old November 8, 2012, 12:12 PM   #23
New_Pollution1086

I got lucky and decided to simplify before buying to many different calibers.

I have 9mm, .22lr, 12ga, and 7.62x54r. Mostly because I can afford to shoot them, I have 3 .22s. I plan on adding .308 and .357 but other than that I think im ok.

Maybe a 20ga if gf ever gets into shooting.

keep the legacy guns, enjoy them for what they are. You'll regret selling them if you do.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old November 8, 2012, 01:24 PM   #24
Crow Hunter

Quote:
I got lucky and decided to simplify before buying to many different calibers.

I have 9mm, .22lr, 12ga, and 7.62x54r. Mostly because I can afford to shoot them, I have 3 .22s. I plan on adding .308 and .357 but other than that I think im ok.

Maybe a 20ga if gf ever gets into shooting.

keep the legacy guns, enjoy them for what they are. You'll regret selling them if you do.

T
I have no intention of ever selling the legacy guns.

My thought was to get rid of the AR15/Glock/Benellis in favor of using just the legacy guns and getting a couple of additional guns that are the same type.

They would be the absolute last guns that I would ever get rid of, which got me to thinking that maybe I should just get down to those guns now instead of waiting.

Good luck.
Old November 8, 2012, 01:47 PM   #25
StainlessSteel215

For what it's worth, I also adapted this sort of mentality because in the last 6 years or so, Ive owned about 8 calibers in all respective categories of firearms. It was just too much ammo, too much variance in firearm action/consistency....and I felt I was only about 50% accurate with all my guns.

Now, I own/shoot .223, 9mm, and 45acp. I MIGHT consider a nice snub revolver purchase soon which would now add .357/.38

Now, I feel I am WAY more consistent shooting my guns and ammo purchasing/storing/inventory has become much easier. It all boils down to personal preference man. Just dont create TOO many rules for yourself that you will be unhappy with.