The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 29, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1
saands

FYI ... Nagant Pistol Ammo ...

Just a quick FYI that SOG has milsurp Nagant pistol ammo in stock ... I have no affiliation or connection to SOG, but I've never seen it for sale, so I thought that it might be of interest to those with a Nagant in their collection.

Saands
Old March 30, 2012, 01:16 PM   #2
noelf2

I was going to post this too. After shipping it's about $400 for a case (two cans) 1092 rounds. Works out to about .37 per rnd. Modern stuff is about .50 per round. Anyone know if the Russian milsurp stuff is hotter than .prvi or hotshot?
Old March 30, 2012, 01:52 PM   #3
saands

I don't know anything about this ammo at all ...

But what I DID find out is that SOG now charges an extra 3% for a credit card purchase ... I'm sure it is somewhere in the Terms and Conditions on their web site, but it doesn't show up in your shopping cart ... even after you enter your credit card info ... the first time it shows up is on the confirmation e-mail you get after the fact. It is only 3%, but I was mildly upset that they aren't more upfront about it ... I would have gladly paid the 3%, but the fact that they just slide it in there left me with a little bit of a bad aftertaste from the transaction. I've done a lot of business with SOG over the years, but good business is about expectations, and I think that they are putting themselves at risk here. I'm hoping that this at least saves others the surprise, and at best they might read it and see that there is room for improvement. I did call them to tell them that.
Old March 30, 2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Hardcase

They've been doing the 3% thing for at least a couple of years, if not longer. The only mention of it that I'm aware of is in the "terms and conditions" page.

If you order from the web page, credit card or COD is the only payment method.
Old March 30, 2012, 07:26 PM   #5
boostedtt91

whose is SOG?
Old March 30, 2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Hardcase

https://www.southernohiogun.com/index.php/
Old March 30, 2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered 140 rounds of the Nagant, and also saw they had 7.5 French so I ordered a hundred rounds of that too. The 1895 Nagant, MAS 36, or MAS49/56 aren't anything I shoot regularly, but nice to take them out for a spin on occasion.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 31, 2012, 05:17 PM   #8
RJay

And to think that at one time Nagant ammo was hard to find. It had to be special ordered at 50 dollars a box .32 French long had to be custom made. So as the world turns
Old April 1, 2012, 07:54 AM   #9
jonnyc

Were did you see/get .32 French Long???
Old April 2, 2012, 07:49 PM   #10
hAkron

They ALSO raised the price of their Nagant revolvers from $99.00 to $107.00 once they started advertising the availibilty of the ammo
Old April 5, 2012, 05:01 PM   #11
noelf2

In case there's an interest, jgsales.com has the surplus nagant ammo spam cans (1092 rnds) for even less. Comes to about $15.50 per 50, but you have to buy the whole can, and I'm not sure what shipping would be. Worth a look though.
Old April 5, 2012, 08:02 PM   #12
kraigwy

Or you can just reload Nagant ammo. I use the same cast 100 Gr RN bullets I use in my M1 Carbine.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 6, 2012, 12:15 PM   #13
noelf2

Quote:
Or you can just reload Nagant ammo. I use the same cast 100 Gr RN bullets I use in my M1 Carbine.
I can go buy my own cow and butcher it in the backyard too, which would seem almost as inconvenient as reloading nagant ammo.
I reload lots of calibers, but nagant is just too weird for me (I've read all the how-to's and I'm not into that much pain). Besides, the suplus stuff takes advantage of the gas seal at the barrel/cylinder gap. Only have to clean the barrel.
Old April 7, 2012, 08:18 AM   #14
amx4080

I bought some. Really where else are you going to get Russian made 7.62 Nagant ammo from 25+ years ago? It's been a few years since the yellow box practice ammo has been available, and that ammo was weak at best.
Old April 7, 2012, 09:39 AM   #15
kraigwy

Quote:
but nagant is just too weird for me (I've read all the how-to's and I'm not into that much pain). Besides, the suplus stuff takes advantage of the gas seal at the barrel/cylinder gap.
Cheaper then Dirt sells Nagant ammo that is boxer primed and can be reloaded meaning you can still take advantage of the gas seal it that's a problem.

In reality reloading the Nagant is no different then reloading any other revolver round. Lee sells dies that come with a factory crimp. Since the Nagant uses a weird crimp, the Lee factory crimp die gives you the weird crimp.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071