The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 13, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Fingers McGee

There's a new nipple on the market

Read on a couple other forums where there was a new C&B revolver nipple on the market for Uberti, Pietta and ROA revolvers that worked better than Tresos. This new nipple is stainless steel (??) and has an improved orifice as well as two cross drilled hole like the old Hotshot nipples had. They're available right now from Desperado Bullets for $36.00 for a set of 6. I ordered a set for the Uberti and a set for the Pietta revolvers on last Monday & they came in Thursday's mail. Plan was to try them out this past weekend in a SASS match, but the rain kept that from happening. Here are a few pictures of the new nipples. The new nipple is on the left, with a Treso in the middle and a stock factory Uberti on the right.

I measured the Uberti and Pietta nipples and compared them to stock. The Uberti SlixShot measured about .032 longer than the stock Ubertis. The Pietta SlixShot only measured about .006 longer.

I haven't tried the Uberti with the SlixShot nipples yet - ran out of time at the range yesterday. I did run about 72 rounds through a Pietta 1860 Army. I fired three cylinders full with Remington #10, Remington #11, CCI #11, and RWS 1075 caps. One cylinder with each size cap was capped with a TDC revolver capper, one with a TDC dual spring straight line capper, and one capped by hand. I did not use a "seating stick" or anything other than the capper or my thumb to seat the caps. All of the caps went on without any trouble and felt like they were a snug fit. I slow fired the first cylinder full with each size cap and didn't see any evidence of unfired caps backing off the nipple.

The load I used was 30 gr. fffg Goex thrown from a flask with a 30 gr. spout (which weighs out to 30.3 gr.); Ox Yoke Wonder Wad, and a .454 round ball cast by BPstuff llc. Every chamber fired first time. All of the Remington and RWS fired caps looked like a plus sign. Four evenly sized wings coming off the center. Most of the CCIs did the same; but some of them disintegrated or didn't split up completely. The only two instances of a cap falling into the frame/action, was with the CCIs that didn't split up completely on firing; but, they didn't jam up the gun. The hammer just flattened them to the frame. In every instance, the only cap still left on a nipple was the one under the hammer from the last shot. All of caps fell off, and none got between my hand and the grip.

The 1860 I used was 1994 vintage that has been worked over some using Pettifoggers procedures. It has coil spring & plunger hand spring and the hammer notch is filled with JB Weld.

I'm going to try to get back out to the range later this week & run the same process on my Uberti 1861 Navy. Hopefully the extra lenght won't be a problem. My 1861's have been worked over like the 1860s, so I'm going to take one of my .36 cal Piettas that is still bone stock unmodified & see how the nipples work on it. I'm also going to try a couple Wolf reduced power hammer springs & see how they act. This time I'll take my camera too.

So far, I'm really liking these nipples.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 13, 2012, 03:02 PM   #2
arcticap

The longer cones must partly help to allow these nipples to provide a snug fit for both the Remington #11's and the Remington #10's that have a longer skirt.
They do seem to have some very nice looking precision made cones.

Last edited by arcticap; March 14, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old March 13, 2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Erich

Thank you for the report; this is the first I've read of it.
Old March 13, 2012, 05:17 PM   #4
dlbarr

I bought some stainless nipples from TOW which they said were superior to Trescos. The part # is PIR-S and they take a #11 cap (which I prefer as it's the same as for my T/C). NO miss fires so far, ignition quick and they cost $3.99 @.

Not to say that the ones Doc has are not good enough...just another alternative.
Old March 13, 2012, 07:03 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

As Peter Boyle said...

"Holy Crap"

Just what I need. More stuff which I absolutely can't live without.
Old March 13, 2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

You're welcome Doc.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 14, 2012, 07:19 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

We all must do our part at keeping the economy afloat.
Old March 15, 2012, 01:59 PM   #8
orangello

Quote:
This new nipple is stainless steel (??) and has an improved orifice as well as two cross drilled hole like the old Hotshot nipples had.
So, what do the cross drilled holes do?
Old March 15, 2012, 02:17 PM   #9
Hellgate

The cross drilling is to vent the blowback gasses to the side to prevent rearward blowback of the hammer which keeps the cap on the nipple so it doesn't get dislodged until the cylinder is rotated when the gun is cocked. Ideally, the cap stays on the nipple and then falls off with rotation or recoil when the next chamber is fired.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 17, 2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Fingers McGee

OK, Here's my second report. Took my one of my Uberti 1861 Navies out with the new nipples. Also took a Pietta 1861 Navy that did not have the safety notch in the hammer filed in.

I rechecked my measurements on the Pietta and Uberti nipples and came up with theses results.

Uberti Nipples:
Factory nipple - .292
Treso nipple - .305
Slix-Shot nipple - .320

Pietta Nipples:
Factory nipple - .326
Treso nipple - .327
Slix-Shot nipple - .330

In the pictures in the original post, you can how much longer the Slix-Shot nipple is than the factory and Treso nipples.

I spent part of Thursday afternoon running a box stock .36 Pietta with the new nipples, and trying a set of the Uberti nipples. The Pietta is a 1991 vintage 1861 Navy with 6 inch barrel that is internally box stock. The only mods done to it are GWII grip frame and grips. The Load was 22 gr fffg Grafs, lubed wad and .380 cast round ball. I ran a cylinder full through it using Rem#10, Rem#11, CCI#11, and RWS1075 caps. Had a little different result with expended caps than I did with the 1860 the other day. The Rem#10s all stayed on the cylinder but were not evenly exploded. The Rem#11s also stayed put and were more even. The CCIs only split into two wings, some stayed on & some fell off. The RWS caps were by far in the worst shape, they were mangled pretty bad & mostly fell off. I'll attribute this to the safety notch not being filled in. You can see where the notch was on the expended caps.

Tried the Uberti nipples on a Uberti 1861 Navy. Same load as the Pietta, 22 gr fffg Grafs, lubed wad and .380 round ball. Being longer than both the factory and Treso nipples, I expected them to have fitment issues. Sure enough, after 3 cylinders full on the 1861, the Rem#10 caps started dragging the recoil shield. Same held true for the Rem#11, CCI#11, and RWS1075 caps. In order to keep the caps from rubbing, I had to use a push stick to seat them. The CCIs rubbed the recoil shield the most even after pushing them on. The way the caps split and shredded was pretty much the same on the Uberti 1861 as the Pietta. The JB weld has worn away some on the hammer so there was some notch present.

I got rained out before I could shoot the other two Ubertis I brought - a Navy Arms Frontiersman & a SS 1860 Army; but, given the length of the Uberti nipples, the result would have probably been the same. I screwed a couple of the nipples in on the Frontiersman and the tops extended above the rim of the cylinder. I also did not get a chance to try out a reduced power mainspring.

I'm not near as enthused about the Uberti nipple as I am the Pietta.
Old March 17, 2012, 06:33 PM   #11
straightcut

I know it's not the focal point of your report, so I apologize for going off topic a bit. Could you explain this briefly - "GWII grip frame and grips"?

Thanks!
Old March 17, 2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Andy Griffith

Are the flash holes on the new stainless nipples a bit larger than those of the Tresos?

I've had good luck with Remington 10's, Fiocchi #10's and CCI 11's stayin' on the Tresos on my Piettas after being fired.
Old March 17, 2012, 10:47 PM   #13
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightcut
I know it's not the focal point of your report, so I apologize for going off topic a bit. Could you explain this briefly - "GWII grip frame and grips"?

Thanks!
I put steel gripframes and grips from a EMF Great Western II made by Pietta on the revolver. The grip profile is more like an SAA than the trumpet bell grips on a Pietta 1851.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGriffith
Are the flash holes on the new stainless nipples a bit larger than those of the Tresos?
Yes, in fact the entire flash channel is bigger than the stock nipple as well as the Treso. You should be ableto see that in the pictures.
Old September 23, 2012, 10:26 AM   #14
Roshi

Any Updates?

Any updates on these nipples? I used something similar years ago on my Lyman Great Plains rifle with good success.

I'd like to hear more before I spring for a set for my Pietta 51 Navy.
Old September 23, 2012, 07:07 PM   #15
Fingers McGee

The Pietta nipples worked great. They've now modified the Uberti and ROA ones so they're not so long.