The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 14, 2009, 03:03 AM   #1
cek

S&W 32 Hand Ejector Third Model DA Revolver

This is gun #6 in my series.

This is Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector Third Model DA Revolver (also called a Model I Hand Ejector Third Model). This particular gun was made in 1920-1921 and has had it's grip rebuilt/modified to a longer square shape with custom walnut bur stocks. 273,683 of these were made between 1911 to 1942.

The gun has 70-80% of it's original blue with a fair amount of "plum" developing. It is mechanically excellent. The barrel is in fine condition.

According to Fjestad's Blue Book, 30th Ed, it is probably worth between $300-$500. Shediler's indicates an excellent examples is worth $350.

Thoughts? Commentary?
"My Constitutional right to bear arms is, to me, the most significant example of my American heritage of individual freedom and human dignity. Such a right implies that my Government trusts me and, in turn, is worthy of my trust." - Charles E. 'Ted' Kindel (My dad), Gun Digest #19 1965
Old October 14, 2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

The grips are aftermarket replacements. That will hurt your price somewhat.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 14, 2009, 11:31 AM   #3
cek

Of course you are right. Note in my text above I call out that the grip frame has beem modified too; to be square shaped. The quality of the workmanship is 'questionable'. Interesting, but questionable :-).
"My Constitutional right to bear arms is, to me, the most significant example of my American heritage of individual freedom and human dignity. Such a right implies that my Government trusts me and, in turn, is worthy of my trust." - Charles E. 'Ted' Kindel (My dad), Gun Digest #19 1965
Old October 14, 2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Good lord, I didn't even see that... I was keying more on the photos. Sigh.

That modification may hurt or help the price. Hard to determine which.

Old October 14, 2009, 01:41 PM   #5
cek

Yea, that's what I thought too. It's kinda academic though becuase I'll never sell. But knowing the range is useful for guaging the overall value of the collection and where this gun lies in the value specturm relative to the others.

I would love to know the history of this mod. What was the PO _thinking_? What motivated this mod? Who did the work? Was he _paid_ for it? Was the PO happy with the results?
Old October 14, 2009, 08:24 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Based on the stock and the amount of bluing wear, I would probably put that gun toward the lower end of the $300-500 range. FWIW, S&W did offer those extended stocks as a option, but obviously the ones on the gun are not factory.

Jim
Old October 15, 2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

My guess?

A guy with big hands was using it for target shooting.