The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 21, 2006, 10:16 PM   #1
KDM

Bedding question

Hey, all...I'll be getting a CZ550 Safari in 375 H&H after the holidays are over, and I've heard of the issues regarding stock cracks. I've also heard that bedding the action will (more or less) prevent this from happening. Is glass bedding some magical art form best left to a professional 'smith, or can a comparable job be done with one of the kits Midway sells?

As a side note, should cross bolts be added? What other doo-dads can you think of that a CZ will require?
Old November 21, 2006, 10:35 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...some magical art form..." Nope. Just follow the directions on the Acraglas kit box and you'll be fine.
I wouldn't worry too much about a CZ. The Czechs know how to make a rifle. The K98's they made during W.W. II are reputed to be better than the German made rifles.
Ever shoot at .375? If not, you may want to try one before you buy.
Old November 21, 2006, 11:32 PM   #3
KDM

No...never fired one yet, but I've always been enthralled by the 375. I've searched my local range, looking to buy a round from a larger-caliber shooter, but have found none. The largest caliber I've fired is the 303 British, but I have a Mossberg 590 that I run slugs through. The recoil of a 12 gauge slug and 375 have been stated as being similar. Suppose I'll find out soon enough! If it's much a mercury recoil reducer could go in, or a fluffy pad attached. Do you have any experience with it, T. O'Heir? Love to get input.
Old November 22, 2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Harry Bonar

Dear Sir:
Get some "Steel Bed" from Brownells.
Harry B.