The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 3, 2006, 10:03 AM   #1
ppcmaster
Registration in progress

NEW to IPSC

Hello Everyone,
I am considering getting into IPSC shooting in the Northeast part of the country. I am confused about a few things.

#1 How do you get classified and why so many times

#2 How do you excel? Meaning shoot as fast as you can while still trying to get "A" hits.

#3 Can you shoot both stock and open divisions?

#4 What would be you best caliber, I have a .38 Super Bianchi gun.

#5 What type of practice should I do, Bill drills, double tab at targets of various ditances, etc?

Thanks in advance
Bob
Old July 3, 2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Lycanthrope

Everything you need to know.....

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/
Old July 6, 2006, 05:17 AM   #3
Radagast

Also look at http://ipsc.invisionzone.com/
Old July 6, 2006, 07:41 AM   #4
joseywales

Welcome to the fold! IPSC is an absolutely fantastic shooting game. Just of note, you asked about IPSC, but if you are in the US, you will shoot USPSA instead of IPSC...though most of us call it IPSC (USPSA is the US division of the international IPSC organization). The games are identical, but there are some very minor rule differences in spots.

Quote:
#1 How do you get classified and why so many times
USPSA has a 'classifier book' with courses of fire that are used at clubs across the country - it ensures that everyone sets up the stage exactly the same. At the local level, it is customary to have 1 course of fire that is a 'classifier', so if you are in the game for a few years, you'll end up with lots of classification scores. Look at this page for more info http://www.uspsa.org/dw/whatis.html#Classification
Quote:
#2 How do you excel? Meaning shoot as fast as you can while still trying to get "A" hits.
Shoot as 'fast as you can see' the sights return to the target. Those that excel in this game have mastered this, and have eliminated/minimized the amount of wasted movements between targets (either in transitioning between targets, or in getting from position to position on a course of fire).

Quote:
#3 Can you shoot both stock and open divisions?
Yes, but usually not in the same match. USPSA has 5 separate 'equipment' divisions. Check them out here...http://www.uspsa.org/dw/whatis.html.

Quote:
#4 What would be you best caliber, I have a .38 Super Bianchi gun.
Answer to this depends upon which division you decide to play in. I think the most common caliber in each division is: Open-.38super, Limited-.40, Limited 10-.40, Production-9mm, Revolver-.45acp.

Quote:
#5 What type of practice should I do, Bill drills, double tab at targets of various ditances, etc?
There are several good books out there with lots of drills. I suggest the Saul Kirch books, Perfect Practice (tons of drills), and Thinking Practical Shooting (game concepts, match management). Each drill is designed to help you learn about certain aspects of your shooting. Very good material in both of these books. Both of these are available from uspsa.com webstore.
Old July 6, 2006, 08:52 AM   #5
ppcmaster
Registration in progress

Hey Josey,
Love the name and movie good pick! Thank you for the information. I will look it the books and scourses you have suggested. I also appreciate you breaking every thing down for me. Shoot straight my friend,
Bob
Old July 8, 2006, 06:43 AM   #6
Radagast

http://www.doublealpha.biz/GBindex.htm Sauls site, referenced above.

http://www.mattburkett.com/ for american training videos.

38 super will score minor in limited 10 or minor/major in open. If you have a dot or a comp, then you are in Open. If you have iron sights then you can shoot in limited or open, but not both.
Old August 16, 2006, 10:58 PM   #7
TacticalJunkie.com

I actually started to shoot IPSC and I am not 100% sure on the classification, however if your looking for drills to do, I usually put my holster and mag pouches on. And with my gear I practice drawing in the mirror so that I can see where my weak spots are. I also do various drills in my house just going through the motions practice drawing from one spot then move and while moving to a different location of the house which I have preselected I work on reloading on the move, this helps to save time once you hit the station so that you don't get stuck reloading at your stop point. I also practice reloading in the mirror by drawing my weapon and pointing it at the mirror and motioning that am shooting then drop the mag and reload until I am satisfied with what I feel is correct. Then when you go out to compete, I usually notice a good improvement over the time before.

If your looking for speed and accuracy drills, I go to my local range and practice on their plate rack trying different stances, and holds to try to find the best positioning for the most accuracy and consistency. You can also try getting a reload with a lower grain to help keep the recoil down this will maximize your accuracy once you learn how to shoot this low grain round.

I hope that you have found this helpful and If you have anymore questions please feel free to contact me either by PM or by email my email is [email protected]

Let me know what happens at your next shoot if you happen to follow any of this.