The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 17, 2000, 09:36 AM   #1
James L

Usually carry my Glock 19 or Kimber in OTW holsters. When need arises, both are long and heavy enough to carry Mexican style with some amount of stability.
Just got a Kahr P9 and have need for a more secure concealment carry.
Have just become a single father of two daughters(the oldest in college) and money is tight right now.
Have narrowed the choices down to three...
1)Milt Sparks....Executive Companion
2)Mitch Rosen....ARG
3)Kramer.........IWB #3
I'm 5'10" and weigh 190 lbs. 38" waist.
Have reason to be carrying the P9 12 to 14 hours a day(long story).
Will be sitting and standing and most of the time in jeans or dockers. Comfort is a big issue here, as well as concealment and presentation, in that order( I know,presentation is very important,but I'll work on that 30 to 60 minutes a day until I become comfortable with the speed no matter which one of the 3 holsters).
Would greatly appreciate any help from those of you experienced with these holsters.
As always...Stay Safe.........Jim
Old April 17, 2000, 01:24 PM   #2
burrhead

Just to add to your confusion, check out a Lou Alessi Talon Plus. Very well made and comfortable. A bargain at $55.00. I wear mine with a S&W 638 every day and almost forget it's there. BTW, I'm 5"8', 175# and conceal this rig easily under a t-shirt. I don't have a link but just run a search.

------------------
Join the NRA.
Old April 17, 2000, 02:44 PM   #3
James L

Thanks burrhead, but couldn't find info on the talon, even with hotbot super search...Jim
Old April 17, 2000, 03:29 PM   #4
Rosco Benson

You can find Alessi holsters illustrated at www.rfholsters.com

Rosco
Old April 17, 2000, 05:55 PM   #5
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

I have the Rosen ARG and it rocks! It's definitely the best holster I own. My Milt Sparks Summer Special is a close second. I tote a full size 1911 with the ARG. It's very comfortable and does not press.

------------------
ArmySon
1911 Addiction
1911 Forums
"Rangers Lead the Way!"
Old April 17, 2000, 07:25 PM   #6
Rex Feral

I currently use a Kramer IWB #3 for my USP .45C. It is an adequate holster, not the most comfortable I have owned, by far. I'd suggest you look at the Wilson Combat Covert Companion IWB. I've used Galco, Kramer and Milt Sparks IWB's and the Wilson is far and away my favorite.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.
Old April 18, 2000, 07:20 AM   #7
Forseti

Check out the Milt Sparks VM2. Its widely spaced loops make for a good stable hold, and it is well made. Got mine for a P7 (a tough gun to make a good holster for) and it is excellent.

One other thing you might consider...a fanny pack. *Very* comfortable carry...and you did say you would be in jeans...
Old April 20, 2000, 10:15 AM   #8
leedesert

My favorite is not going to be one of the glitzy kind you can brag about but it has surpassed my expectaions.
I know use the defender by Action Direct. It's a body or belly band type holster.

After trying many different IWB holsters I finally settled on this one because of it's comfort and flexability. I can position it anywhere on my waist, I don't have to wear a belt, it balances the weight around my waist instead of on my belt, I can drop my drawers in the bathroom without taking out my gun, I can wear it with athletic shorts and a T-shirt, and I can tuck my shirt in without any adjustments.

I don't get any cool points when the who's holster is better then who's topic comes up but I smile knowing I paid $30 for a holster that out performs all of them (for me).

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

[This message has been edited by leedesert (edited April 20, 2000).]
Old April 20, 2000, 02:37 PM   #9
Sod

One more vote for the Talon+ ALL the quality and and half the price of your other options.
Old April 20, 2000, 03:56 PM   #10
fed168

We have a local holster maker. Go to wildbillsconcealment.com and check his stuff out. It is just as good if not better than the more established holster makers, and about half of the cost. He can make anything for any gun. I use his stuff and it is excellent. Or kydex, if they make one for your type of weapon.
Old April 20, 2000, 05:46 PM   #11
Jeff OTMG

The most comfortable IWB on the market is the YCS (made for IWB only) by M/D Enterprises. I designed it back in the 1980's after trying the IWB from all the 'big' names. www.customholsters.com
Old April 20, 2000, 08:00 PM   #12
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

I have, and have used for > 6 years, a ARG. Most of the people I know who carry daily use an ARG (body ranges from skinny to well rounded). I've tried others and they don't match up IMO.

One word of advise, and this goes for any holster, if the maker also sells a belt get one of those also. The holster will only be as good (shifting wise/position/etc) as the belt.

I've got two of Mitches' belts (one tapered, one not) to go along with the ARG. Also picked up a SOS mag/flashlight holder.

The claim "Mitch Rosen Extraordinary Gunleather" is not for nothing!

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"
Old April 21, 2000, 02:01 AM   #13
James L

Thanks everyone.
I'm ordering a Defender from Action Direct today(Thanks leedesert).
Also still need a more conventional IWB.
Leaning towards an ARG.
Like the idea of an Alessi, but from what I can see,it rides a little higher than I want hard to tell from the pictures.
Does anyone have any experience with the #20 adjustable IWB from fist?
Any more information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.......
Stay safe and join the NRA.......Jim
Old April 21, 2000, 02:42 AM   #14
45King

Well, my vote goes for the Rosen ARG. I've been wearing one daily for 5+ years, and it, along with the SOS (mag/light combo pouch) worn on a Rosen belt is secure, fast enough, and comfortable. How comfortable? I've been known to fall asleep while geared up....I've worn it for 14 to 16 hours at a time, no problem.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center
Old April 28, 2000, 07:06 PM   #15
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Jeff,
The YCS is a dual purpose holster. It can be used as a pancake or IWB.
Old April 30, 2000, 10:18 AM   #16
BlkHawk73

I also have to reccomed the ARG. I have five different pieces from Mitch Rosen and will use his services again on my next holster purchase. Top notch quality!
Old April 30, 2000, 10:45 AM   #17
Tecolote

Lou Alessi will modify his Talon to suit your needs. He'll make ride lower or higher s per your instructions. Not many makes will do this. Check put more comments about the Talon and Talon Plus at www.gunspot.com

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.
Old April 30, 2000, 07:55 PM   #18
shamster

I have tried a wide variety of IWB's, everything from your cheap ole Unkle Mike's IWB clip, to the Rosen ARG.
Most recently, I've acquired a custom made holster. There are several small details which I wanted to incorporate into it, based on what I decided works best for me.
Matt Delfatti ( www.personalpages.tds.net/~delfatti made me a IWB holster for a 1911. What a nice piece of leather work! This holster is based off one of DelFatti's IWB design, with some alterations customized to my likings. The detailed boning is outstanding. Great leather. Excellent stitching. Holds the gun securely. The design works great for me...perfect rake and height, and the rear wing really does help the holster stay in place without shifting. The back protective flab of leather is very nice too, especially with the thumb safety indent (a excellent feature to prevent ambi safeties from being knocked off safe by accident while carrying). Broke in very nicely and quickly.
What is nice about DelFatti is not just his outstanding work, but his willingness to customize his designs, or design a completely different holster, to suit his customer's individual needs
Here are some pics of this holster:

I've also sampled MarkTHG's YCS holster, as described and designed by JeffOTMG. It is also very comforable to wear. The side "wings" help distribute the weight of the gun better, and also prevents shifting.
Rosen's ARG holster is also a high quality piece of work. Better to try that kind of design for yourself before buying, if possible. I have 2 of those, for a 1911 and a Glock. It's a nice holster, and a good idea. Unfortunately, the rear loop doesn't work too well for me, and I don't find it the most comfortable. Maybe it has to do with my body size (I'm thin). It may work better for someone with a slightly bigger waist. Again, the best thing to do is to try it out for yourself if possible, as YMMV.
Old May 2, 2000, 02:16 PM   #19
M1911

Well, I've got a Wilson Combat Covert Companion for my Kimber Compact. That holster sits in my box labeled "holsters that didn't quite work." I have to say that I really didn't like it. The grip of my gun rides up a little too high. Combine that with the fact that it doesn't have much tilt resulted in the gun printing terribly if I leaned over much at all. And even with a good belt, the holster moved around too much. But the worst part is that the mouth of the holster isn't rigid enough and collapses a bit after I draw.

The best IWB holsters that I have are from Rusty Sherrick: http://www.c-rusty.com

I like his work, his turn around time is good, and his prices are at least half of Mitch Rosen's.

But holsters are a very individual thing. What works for you (your gun, your style of dress, your body shape) may not work for me, and vice versa.

Jared
Old May 2, 2000, 07:33 PM   #20
Blue Heeler

ARG-no doubt about it,and it's worth the money.Like everyone I have a box of holsters that never get used-The Rosen isn't one of them.