The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 1, 2000, 06:23 PM   #1
gunpowder

Just received my first leather holster and belt and have a fewq questions on care, etc.

It is a Alessi CQC/S and matching belt. I was wondering about breaking in times and hints, eraticating squeakes, and cleaning hints. I want this holster to look good for years to come.
Old May 1, 2000, 07:31 PM   #2
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

It is a Alessi CQC/S and matching belt. I was wondering about breaking in times and hints, eraticating squeakes, and cleaning hints.

Don't know what Alessi recommends but Mich Rosen recommends light cleaning with saddle soap followed by polish. As for eraticating squeaks... Leather Lightning. Not only does it work on squeaks but also slickens up your draw.

Break in times will very according to use.
Old May 1, 2000, 08:44 PM   #3
Banzai

I slicken up all my holsters with silicone spray. You can get it in the automotive section of Wal Mart or K Mart. Just spray it inside the holster until it's just about saturated, then wipe out, put your gun in a bag, and place it in the holster overnight. You'll be supprised how slick it forms the leather to the individual gun, and slickens up the draw like greased owl snot!!!

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!
Old May 1, 2000, 09:05 PM   #4
Jim V

Another vote for LEATHER LIGHTNING, it is kind of expensive for a small bottle but it goes a long way. Never, NEVER, NEVER use neatsfoot or mink oil on your hoslters, it will soften the leather. I use a good brand of saddle soap and polish on my holsters as well as a little dab of LL on the insides.

Now squeaks can go away in time from use of the leather gear but I have never worried about people knowing I am carrying because of leather squeak. My boots squeak worse than the belt and holster does.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited May 02, 2000).]
Old May 1, 2000, 10:52 PM   #5
shamster

Inside of holsters - just use Leather Lightening.

For the outside, you can use black shoe cream, if your holster is black. Otherwise, KIWI neutral paste wax is good.
Basically, take care of the outside of your holster as you would a nice pair of leather shoes.