The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 10, 2020, 07:50 AM   #1
PushPuller

AR15 scopes for less than $300, can you find one?

Morning everybody, Im about to ask you a question im sure you've seen here several times before.

Iv recently gotten frustrated with red dot sights as Iv spent hundreds of dollars on EOtechs and Aimpoints and just cant get something that works, or works well for me. Iv decided maybe its time to look into real scopes but am fairly scope ignorant. Which brings me to my question. Can you find a scope with low magnification (1-6x preferable), Illuminated reticle, that will hold zero for thousands of rounds of 5.56? If so what do you guys recommend.

I understand that scopes ARE a "you pay what you get for" item but do you really need to spend $500+ for a Leupold or Vortex to get a decent optic?
Old October 10, 2020, 07:57 AM   #2
TXAZ

Go to eurooptics.com.
They have excellent reviews and feedback.
SnipersHide is similar for better optics.
Personally I’ve paid $10-$3k+ for scopes. In retrospect and in the future I’ll spend more on the scope and less on the gun if cash is tight, as the scope puts you on target, the gun just pushes the bullet.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 10, 2020, 08:37 AM   #3
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP
Iv recently gotten frustrated with red dot sights as Iv spent hundreds of dollars on EOtechs and Aimpoints and just cant get something that works, or works well for me. Iv decided maybe its time to look into real scopes but am fairly scope ignorant.
Why didn't those work for you? What compromises are you willing to accept?

If you are dealing with an astigmatism, that's a whole subgenre with similarly afflicted people happy to offer their experiences.

There is a fellow on youtube, Dark Lord of Optics, who explains at some length why various scopes work as they do, and which sorts of scopes may be popular but not offer the best mix of compromises for some purposes. He is a smart fellow, but his lectures are pitched at a level so that people without technical training, like me, can follow.
Old October 10, 2020, 09:40 AM   #4
PushPuller

Quote:
Why didn't those work for you? What compromises are you willing to accept?
The Aimpoint is definitely an astigmatism issue as all the dots starburst for me, and the EOtech is a customer support issue. Iv had a 512 for 3 years now and have loved it until it started turning itself off randomly, now it wont even power on. Iv attempted to contact EOtech several times via phone, and email about sending it in to get fixed (not necessarily warrantied or for free) and have absolutely zero success getting ahold of them. I'm not opposed to sticking with it, but im a bit hesitant if I cant receive any customer support for a $600 item.
Old October 10, 2020, 10:31 AM   #5
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP
The Aimpoint is definitely an astigmatism issue as all the dots starburst for me, and the EOtech is a customer support issue. Iv had a 512 for 3 years now and have loved it until it started turning itself off randomly, now it wont even power on. Iv attempted to contact EOtech several times via phone, and email about sending it in to get fixed (not necessarily warrantied or for free) and have absolutely zero success getting ahold of them. I'm not opposed to sticking with it, but im a bit hesitant if I cant receive any customer support for a $600 item.
That's understandable.

I have an astigmatism in both eyes, but the stronger one is in my dominant eye. I can use a red dot well enough if I'm wearing glasses, but I don't care for them.

My objection to an expensive variable magnification scope has to do with the way I use rifles. If I'm walking and performing pest control, I'll just leave it on the lowest power I can use for the longest distance I think I will be shooting offhand. I don't use the variable feature, so I just don't shop for it any longer.

This leaves me with three sight solutions that all work well with my astigmatism.

1) Iron sights: I like iron sights, especially in rain and snow, but they aren't everyone's preference.

2) 1x prismatics: They can be very small and light, and the features of the reticle can allow a precision I don't believe I can get from a fuzzy dot.

3) Low magnification shotgun scopes: I've a bunch of these, all 2.5x20. They give excellent depth of focus, the magnification allows me to discriminate and identify fairly small objects at any distance I would shoot, they are robust (I've never broken one or had one lose zero) and they are modestly priced so I can put one on every rifle.

None of those lets me mag dump at cardboard just a few feet away from me, then drop to the ground for torso shots on a man sized target at 600m. If you really need that kind of variability, none of my solutions will be optimal for you. If you don't need that variability, you might save yourself a dollar or two.

Last edited by zukiphile; October 10, 2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old October 10, 2020, 12:29 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

The dot in red dot sights are usually too big anyway. A 2 MOA dot will entirely cover the black on a sighting in target.
"..."you pay what you get for"..." With a lotta stuff you pay more for the name than the quality.
"...Low magnification shotgun scopes..." Yep. Scopes do nothing but allow you to see the target better. A low magnification shotgun scope does that really well. Only issue might be the eye relief and maybe the rings and bases for an AR.
Old October 10, 2020, 03:44 PM   #7
shafter

I really like the Vortex Crossfire with the illuminated reticle. Perfect for an all around optic for CQB to longer range shots. One of the things I really like about it is the dot in the center of the crosshairs is 1moa which is smaller than most red dots.

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics...8-2&th=1&psc=1

$200 for the scope itself. A little bit more for the mount but altogether below $300 and Vortex's warranty is legendary.

Last edited by shafter; October 10, 2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old October 13, 2020, 03:20 AM   #8
Rob96

I have a Bushnell AR 1-6× on my AR. Think I paid $250 for. Very clear and bright @nd as close to true 1x as you can get without paying significantly more.
Old October 13, 2020, 07:28 PM   #9
jmhyer

I have been happy with the Vortex mentioned above. Look also at Burris. I'm pretty sure there is (?or used to be?) a model that is 1-4x with an illuminated dot or reticle feature.

Last edited by jmhyer; October 13, 2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old October 13, 2020, 08:28 PM   #10
jmr40

I'd much rather go with a 1-4X or 1-6X scope on an AR than anything else. On 1X are just as fast as a dot, on 4X or above are accurate enough for shots out to 400-600 yards and work much, much better in low light. A quality scope will cost you less than a cheap dot sight.

I have both of these on AR's. The Vortex has an illuminated reticle, but I doubt if I'd ever need it.

https://www.swfa.com/leupold-1-5-4x2....html?___SID=U

https://www.swfa.com/vortex-1-6x24-s....html?___SID=U

Winston Churchill
Old October 14, 2020, 05:19 PM   #11
Logs

I prefer 3x9 Leupolds

I also have a astigmatism and had lasik about 15 years ago. Red dots for me look like a big blob so I have moved over to mostly scopes. Most of my AR's I went with either a 3x9 or 4x12 Leupold. Now I do have a few shorter less power Leupolds just because I picked them up used. Most of my set ups are in the $300 range. The warranty and quality of the Leupolds make it easy to buy a used one.

Old October 17, 2020, 09:17 AM   #12
berettaprofessor

I pretty much quit on red-dots as well, except for a couple of TRS-25's I have on pistols. For reddots, they limit me to within 50 yards for any decent accuracy. Try the Bushnell Ar-Optics line: https://www.bushnell.com/riflescopes...-AR71624I.html
Old October 17, 2020, 11:07 AM   #13
max it

Primary arms. I also have a Trijicon red dot for up to 50 yards.
I’m in SoCal so don’t know how good the Primary Arms would work in real weather. It’s Chinese. But I have done 250 yard shots at 3 Gun competition; works fine. Under $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 17, 2020, 11:59 AM   #14
PushPuller

I went with the Vortex Crossfire II 1x4 V-brite and the Vortex 2 inch offset mount and after bolting it on I can already tell I might just need to look more into scopes and less into red dots. Cant wait to get out and see if I will continue to like it.

Tags
ar15 , optic , scope