The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 12, 2021, 06:12 PM   #1
gaseousclay

Sling for Winchester 94: need opinion

So I’m torn between two rifle slings for my Winchester 94. The first is the Montana Sling and the second is the Slogan Outdoors Ultraflex sling.

I used to own the Montana Sling yrs ago but no more after my divorce. I had it on my Browning A-Bolt and liked it a lot as I thought it fit well and complimented the rifle. The Slogan Outdoors ultraflex is one I came across on YouTube, but it’s made out of rubber and is kind of an eyesore. But, it has a cool feature that allows you to lengthen the strap and pull a piece around your neck so that you can carry your rifle hands free in rough terrain.

I’m leaning towards the Montana sling because I like it and it would compliment my Winchester more so than a black rubber sling. But the rubber sling seems more practical if you don’t always want to shoulder your rifle like a traditional sling.

Thoughts?
Old May 12, 2021, 08:12 PM   #2
Sarge

I always thought a sling felt out of place on a lever action, but any rifle hunted with much needs one. I didn't know what the Slogan was until you mentioned it. I really like it.
Old May 12, 2021, 09:12 PM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I always thought a sling felt out of place on a lever action, but any rifle hunted with much needs one. I didn't know what the Slogan was until you mentioned it. I really like it.
In my youth I thought that a sling on a lever action seem out of place too... until I got a deer with the lever action and found how awkward it was to drag the deer with the lever action in hand. From then on, all my deer rifles wore slings.
Old May 12, 2021, 09:27 PM   #4
gaseousclay

I always felt that scopes were out of place on lever guns.....still do. But, I recognize that our eyes get worse over time and that some need it. I just figured if you’re only shooting 150-200 yds max why bother?

But I digress
Old May 13, 2021, 06:08 AM   #5
jmr40

I'd buy a 1 1/4" Montana sling and call it good. The 1 1/2" slings are OK on a heavier rifle, but not on a 94.

Winston Churchill
Old May 13, 2021, 10:07 AM   #6
gaseousclay

Yeah, I’ll probably get the Montana sling.